main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Here's the link to the full article, once again.

Once again telling fans to more or less "get a life," Lucas tells Empire, "I'm not that passionate about this story. I like it, it's fun and I enjoy doing it. But it's definitely not my life. I'm a bigger movie fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like making movies."

In its full context, Lucas's intent is obvious. Maybe you could say this:

"I'm not that passionate about [Star Wars]."

Hold on a moment, that's exactly what Lucas is saying. Live and learn I guess.

2. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Okay guys, altering each other posts is all well and good, but can we get back to the topic at hand i.e. discussing stick figure fighting?

I'm beginning to question whether our "hero" is actually a hero at all! I mean, he just walks in there and starts killing people. He doesn't seem to have any heroic objective, because after he's killed a few of them he turns around and tries to walk out again. It's not like he's trying to rescue anyone.

Our hero is no kind of hero at all! Stickfighting movie 3 is more like AOTC in that respect.

"They're stick figures, and I slaughtered them like stick figures!"

;)

3. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Tokyo:
    Actually what he means is that he isn't as passionate as us.
    He actually can detach himself from Star Wars and not be like the fanboys around here.
    He loves doing Star wars but he isn't that deeply into it, like we are.

4. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    JenX, there is certainly a deeper story here, one that we're not privy to. You have to trust the narrator, the all-knowing storyteller, when he defines the purple villain as "BOSS". Clearly, the purple warrior is intended to be the antagonist; this completely fulfills the preset archetype of heroism and villainy.

Also consider in the gunfight films, that the hero is clearly infiltrating a hostile headquarters of sorts -- armed thugs are guarding the premises, and "BOSS" is forced to flee. Hero apparently emulates the heroic sensibilities of Chow Yun-Fat and also Keanu Reeves, the respective heroes of their own films. You might consider Yun-Fat to have been an anti-hero in The Killer, but a hero all the same.

5. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Actually what he means is that he isn't as passionate as us. He actually can detach himself from Star Wars and not be like the fanboys around here. He loves doing Star wars but he isn't that deeply into it, like we are.

He's writing and directing the films, but he's not passionate about them? Well, the results speak for themselves. By the way, he doesn't ever say he "loves doing Star Wars". Quite the opposite it appears.

6. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Here is what Lucas means:

"I like Star Wars, it's fun, and I enjoy doing it. But it's not my life [and it shouldn't be yours!]"

7. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "I think it's so sad when person goes to a movie and determines to nit pic it before it even starts. Specifcally looking for bad acting, CGI, fake scenes and whatever they want to be critical about. I mean how can you enjoy a movie with that attitude what a waste of time, that causes frustration.

I guess some people love to thrive on bashing

Sorry bashers just bug me. I mean just get over it. You don't have to be a gusher to be on these boards either. But some of these so-called fans are so bitter."

Actually until AOTC came out most people called me a gusher. I've defended GL and TPM numerous times. I went into AOTC excited and eager for the next installment, but it jsut really turned me off, I figured my expectations got in the way so I went again (I'm fortunate in that I don't have to pay to go to the cinema) And I found I liked it even less now that the awe factor of seeing a new SW had worn off a bit. A friend wanted to see it for free, so I took him a few weeks later, and found myself checking my watch. The film failed to impress me, what more can I say. How am I a basher if I like 4/5 of the SW films?

As for the music lifting, it was done, I didn't even think this was still being debated, I've read about it in several reviews of the film and it was immediately apparent to me and the people I was with all 3 times I saw the film, ask even the biggest fans of AOTC and most of them will agree that this is true, its just ignorant to to argue this point when simple listening will reveal it as true.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I bet Peter Jackson wouldn't sayabout Lord of the Rings what Lucas said about Star Wars. I think it's clear that Peter Jackson has lived and breathed nothing but Lord of the Rings for half a decade. FOTR is a fanfilm of the highest order.

9. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999

"2)the plot is barely coherent and makes little or no sense under any examiantion"

Why are the seperatist leaving the republic? Who is Jango working for? Why can't the jedi connect simple dots which are apparent? Why can't Padme and Ankin both accomplished pilots fly their own ship to naboo? Why would dooku reveal to poggle that his master is on coruscant? If dooku erased kaminio how did he do this if he had left the jedi order, if he did it before he left the order, why did he do it? Why would the senate suddenly listen to jar jar?

"5)GL says on the comentary for TPM that no scene in a movie should serve no purpose, it should serve more then one at the very least. There are a dozen scenes in AOTC which serve NO PURPOSE"

-99% of the packing scene is useless dialogue
    -The scene with yodas floating chair does nothing to advance the plot or characters
    -the missing planet subplot is stupid and does nothing to ad to the story, plot, or characters
    -the scene on the refugee ship is pretty pointless, the queen jamilla scene does nothing to advance the characters, plot, story, or even provide enjoyment to the viewer
    -what do we learn in the meadow scene, Padmes first kiss was a guy named palo
    -the cgi pare scene? another pointless scene
    -yoda's beloved fight scene? a completely ridicoulous waste of screen time. I knwo some people find this amusing but come on, if dooku or yoda had been kille dit might make a difference, or if we had learned somehting ala "i am your father" if there was some consquences to this rather boring fight then it might be jsutified, but the movie would be much better off if Dooku removed anakins arm, and then jumped in his ship to escape

"8)Even more contiuity with the oT is lost"

We we know that the only scene with Owen lars in ep3 is at the end when obi-wan brings luke, so when exactly is the whole damned fool idealistic crusade suppose to come into effect? when will owen not whold with anakins ideals? When did he think Anakin should have stayed on tatooine? why are grave stones not visible in ANH? Does anyone really believe anakin and Obi-wan are good friends?

10. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Rebel Scumb, if you missed my post from the other page could please elaborate on these points:

2)the plot is barely coherent and makes little or no sense under any examiantion

5)GL says on the comentary for TPM that no scene in a movie should serve no purpose, it should serve more then one at the very least. There are a dozen scenes in AOTC which serve NO PURPOSE

8)Even more contiuity with the oT is lost

If you could. thanks.

11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Look stop complaining about OT:SE no cares taht was what five years ago.

If you want to be mad about it for the rest of your life fine. If you don't like the PT fine.

I do you will not change the fact that I like it. Stopping telling every who likes it that there are hugh flaws ever where in. We don't care. If you want to talk about all the flaws start a thread about it.

I don't care what the hell the media says about SW. Most of the people in the media are dumb. They think they talk for all of us. When they don't. You don't know what I like. The media does not know what I like.

I saw a good SW moive in AOTC.

If you saw a bad moive fine. I don't care any more. I can sit here and tell ever one how much I like it. You bashers will just come along and say things about why it's bad in the hope that I will hate it.

Well that's not going to happen ever.

Bashers don't speck for ever one the media does not speck for ever one. A lot more people liked it then you think. So there end of story.

12. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "This is still no proof. It still does not say if this was truly done. It is just his thoughts. What he thinks is done. He said it appearsto be. Just seems to be another basher nic picking as well. I did not find anything wrong wiith the score during the movie.
    He also said actuals cues were used but does not state how they were used. Could mean anything. Like JW rerecorded it maybe. But still I do not see anything wrong with the score."

By this logic I could argue that the imperial march is not in AOTC. I didn't hear it, so its not there.

13. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I have based mine on past performance of John Williams, the London Symphony Orchestra, and George Lucas' and Ben Burtt's previous practices in audio editing for the Star Wars movies. "

when the superman dvd came out tf.n posted an interview with JW related to TPM where he stated that he wrote an angry letter to GL telling him he was professionally embarrassed by the way GL cut up and rearranged his score for TPM.

"Once again telling fans to more or less "get a life," Lucas tells Empire, "I'm not that passionate about this story. I like it, it's fun and I enjoy doing it. But it's definitely not my life. I'm a bigger movie fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I like making movies." "

So in effect, isn't GL bashing gushers? It seems that way to me.

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Sorry, quick question.

Lets say that the Arena battle WAS scored with Cuts and Paste's from unused and used TPM cues.

(Which it was, incidentally. The JW Fanclub website have matched up the original cues with the AOTC ones).

What is inherently wrong with that?

UKS

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I bet Peter Jackson wouldn't sayabout Lord of the Rings what Lucas said about Star Wars.

Peter Jackson has only spent a fraction of the time on The Lord Of The Rings that Lucas has spent on Star Wars, so this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Secondly, Jackson is merely adapting (with varying success) someone else's much superior work, so it's easier for him to be a fan of Rings than it is for Lucas to be a fan of Star Wars.

Finally, I personally think it would be very self-serving and egotistical of Lucas to be a "fan" of his own work. Personally, I appreciate his candor.

Bottom line: He enjoys Star Wars and loves making movies, and, frankly, it shows in spades with the way the prequel films are lovingly crafted.

16. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    when the superman dvd came out tf.n posted an interview with JW related to TPM where he stated that he wrote an angry letter to GL telling him he was professionally embarrassed by the way GL cut up and rearranged his score for TPM

Do you ha proof of this? I would like to see it. I have heard nothing of the sort and I am sure the media would have a field day if this were true and we would have heard about it I am sure.

17. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Oh about what I said before. Say what ever you basher want to say about me like AOTC. Say I don't know good art, what a good moive is etc. What ever you want.

I don't care.

18. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Are you unable to distinguish statements of opinion from statements of fact?

Yes I can. And the author said appears to be cut and pasted. Which to me is opinion not fact. He does not give any facts in this. He shows no proof that this is what happened. So to me it is just opinion.

19. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    why would the media have a field day about it? nobody cares about SW until a month before the movies come to theatres? 99.9% people don't even know who JW is.

PM a mod, ask them to bring up the article, otherwise I'll find it tonight

20. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Rebel Scumb

I just did a quick search through the TFN archives. There are no interviews by TFN of John Williams, nor are there any headlines pointing towards any such evidence.

I guess we'll have to wait until you find the actual article.

[face_plain]

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think anyone's really said that, anidinami. Your unique writing style gets a lot of attention though. :)

22. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Rebel Scumb is right about the article, I remember it as well, though I can't find a reference online.

UKS

23. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    By this logic I could argue that the imperial march is not in AOTC. I didn't hear it, so its not there.

but it was used. That theme is very distinquishable. I will have to wait and see AOTC again and listen to the Arena scene. I just remember tryng to hear it on my last viewing and not realy caring about how the music was used but what was actually going on.

24. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Lets say that the Arena battle WAS scored with Cuts and Paste's from unused and used TPM cues.

(Which it was, incidentally. The JW Fanclub website have matched up the original cues with the AOTC ones).

What is inherently wrong with that?

My thoughts eactly. Who cares? TPM is part of SW so some themes from that movie will be heard again in the other movies as well. I have heard complaints of the Trade Federation theme bein used in AOTC. But the Trade federation was the last part of the movie. So don't you think their theme would be used again?

25. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Ekenobi

You are not allowed to have such a veiw since it is in direct opposition to their fact that the same music should not have been used in another movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.