main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Ya know, the thing about greedo shooting first... I have to think that it was supposed to be a warning shot, because greedo wanted the money (maybe Han was needed alive)? In any case, who could miss at that close range, nobody, so greedo had to have been trying to mess with Han. Han isn't the type to put up with that crap PLUS it gives him an excuse to kill greedo.

That way...Han can still maintain is bad-boy self...*sigh*. Is that how it was supposed to go down in the SE?

Ciou-See the Sig

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    who knows

3. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    The whole thing with the SE's is Lucas wanted to put the OT back in theaters. In order to entice people to go see movies in the theater that everybody already owned on video he felt he had to put in new parts and changes under the guise of that's how he always wanted them to be. In the process he bowed to the hyper politically correct climate of the 90's to counteract the negative influences of movies like "Natural Born Killers" and musicians(I use the term loosely)like Marilyn Manson.

4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    guittarjedi,

I have to agree with you on that! Greedo shooting first is just the beginning of the 'minor' changes that totally change the story line of the movies to the point where we are now told we will feel sorry for DV after we see how he goes to the dark side.

Ah, well. If cursing were allowed...sailors would be blushing.

Lady S.

5. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    How...pessimistic and deluded...:(

Ciou-See the Sig

6. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    It started with the SE's via the neutering of Han Solo and Jedi Rocks and continued in TPM with JarJar Binks and other kiddie scenes.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    So what was this topic about again. I think we went so far off that we will never get back on topic.

8. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Greedo Shot first. What a crime.

Actually, this is more inline with what Han Solo is after we've seen all three of the OT movies than what some of you claim Han shooting first suggests, even without the SE added scenes. Han is far from a rogue, but more like a good natured tough-guy wanna be. He plays the tough-guy role with Leia for the purpose of getting attention, trying to get a piece. But we see that he is actually a softy when he comes back at the end of ANH smiling and yee-hawing with his farm-boy buddy Luke. He has a conscience, and feels guilt. Rogues don't do either of those things. Not to mention he whines like a little baby when the Ewoks are about to cook him.

Darth Vader actually became evil and wasn't born that way.

Lady Sami J, are you admitting that you are digusted by what the storyline of the entire PT revolves around?

If so, Have you always felt that way even before you saw TPM?

9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Only_2,

No, I'm not saying that. I felt sorry for DV in the middle of ESB. I don't need any extra help to feel sorry for him. The story arc is moving so far away from the OT, it's barely recognizable as SW.

The character development of DV from evil Sith Lord in ANH to the 'redeemed' Anakin of ROTJ will be lost if Anakin goes over to the dark side in a way that will make us feel sorry for him now.

Lady S.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Why would it be bad to sympathise with him?

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Gomer,

Because this story/saga is supposed to be about choices, making good and bad ones. If Anakin goes over to the dark side in a way that is not of his own free choice, it cheapens the redemption in ROTJ, where he returns to the good side of his own free will.

EDIT: To put this back on topic, part of the criticism leveled at GL is that the morality of the saga is becoming less black and white, that it is becoming morally ambiguous.

Lady S.

12. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Every single time I come back to this thread I find that you guys have spent the last 4-5 pages talking about totally off-topic stuff. Which wouldn't be a problem if you were talking about STICK FIGURE FIGHTING, but PT v LOTR? PJ v GL? Greedo shoots first??????

Can't we all come together and discuss the possibilties of a Obi Wan v Boba Fett stick figure duel?

If we are going to go off topic, lets discuss something that unites us rather then divides us.

13. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    What more can I do? The majority of posters in this thread aren't exactly renowned for their sense of humor. They don't even really like the OT, why would they appreciate something as beautiful as stick-figure fighting?

14. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    By the way, if anyone is wondering what the big deal is about re-tracked music in AOTC, it's that it's not even a new recording, just the same exact track pasted into the film. While this practice apparently does not bother a majority of you in this thread (the same people who vehemently insist this fact isn't even true, curiously enough), many other people find it completely unprofessional and cheap. Hell, there was enough SW music by ROTJ, why even use John Williams past 1983? Just throw in some "Yoda and the Force" during the Obi-Wan's fight with Jango and there you go. How about a little "The Asteroid Field" during Obi-Wan's subsequent pursuit of Jango? After all, you've seen asteroid field (belt), you've seen them all. Pfft.

15. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    Hmm, maybe people don't know what the heck we're talking about? Maybe they haven't actually seen the Stick Figure webpage???!!!!

TokyoXtreme, could you repost the link to the website that is being hailed by fans and critics alike as "The greatest thing to come off the internet since Pam and Tommy's home videos"?

I'd do it myself but my link making skills are about as good as my jokes ;)

16. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    While there are mistakes in sw except for hayden's bad acting I hate him for it. (well that and the fact that he got to kiss natalie portman) none of them are that big a deal to me. Most of the ot is better than the pt is the same as "Remember the good old days" threads in the forums. People always want what they remember to be better than what they see now.

That said I haven't seen a thread go this far off topic since the EUC senate

17. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Let's dedicate the rest of this shambles of a thread to discussing the elusive XIAOXIAO. Dare you to click this link?

18. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    just the same exact track pasted into the film.

I still have not seen any substantial proof of this and do not believe they would just copy and paste anything. And until I do see proof, I will not believe it.

19. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Tokyo that was the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

No wait the planet of the Apes remake was bad.

20. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    I still have not seen any substantial proof of this and do not believe they would just copy and paste anything. And until I do see proof, I will not believe it.

And when you see proof, will you just say something like "even so, it's not really a big deal anyway?" My advice is don't worry about it. The truth? You can't handle the truth.

Tokyo that was the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

This coming from "A male who likes A/A storys :D I"?

I'm confident that XIAOXIAO will remain strong in his glory, no matter what you happen to say about XIAOXIAO.

21. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Whatever. I have just seen things why better then that. Road trip. Know that's funny.

22. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "I'm confident that XIAOXIAO will remain strong in his glory, no matter what you happen to say about XIAOXIAO"

Hey did you see all 8 of his Stickfigures???

The man has talent and loved all the sound effects.

i can't wait for him to make more. :D

I feel like kicking some butts. ;)

23. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    By the way, if anyone is wondering what the big deal is about re-tracked music in AOTC, it's that it's not even a new recording, just the same exact track pasted into the film.

Please post proof of this or retract it, thank you.

Lady Sami J., If most of the criticism being leveled at GL is because the confilct in the story is becoming morally ambiguous, then why would he tell EVERYONE in the media that was exactly his intent with the PT? He was quoted as saying something to the effect of "people will have a difficult time telling the good guys from the bad guys as the republic falls and the clone wars begin." Like I said this isn't a direct quote, but it was close to that. So if he completely intended to make some of the key characters and plotpoints more ambiguous, could it be that people are rejecting it based on their own nostalgic view of the black and white original trilogy? That tells me that the PT isn't bad, it's just not what critics wanted it to be. If thats the case, what they wanted it to be is a simpleton's world. Frankly, if GL's storytelling capability hadn't progressed past a good vs. evil battle in 20 years, I think he'd be viewed as even more unoriginal. But that's just my idea.

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Only_2,

Well, because GL has often stated that he makes these movies for children, he more or less needed to stay within the boundaries of the black and white good vs. evil morality tale of the OT. I know it's a difficult restraint to put on a creative person, but that's probably why the media is so critical of him at this point.

Now, if GL would stop saying he makes these movies for children, maybe the critics would lay off.

Children don't have the capacity of adults to see this gray area of "you won't know the good guys from the bad guys" type of reasoning.

Of course, I have difficulty swallowing the whole "I make these films for children" idea myself because a film in which one of the main characters is asked to kill his father is obviously not for children.

Again, this is just my take on the situation, my opinion.

Lady S.

25. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    So if he completely intended to make some of the key characters and plotpoints more ambiguous, could it be that people are rejecting it based on their own nostalgic view of the black and white original trilogy? That tells me that the PT isn't bad, it's just not what critics wanted it to be.

Well, if it tells you that, your reasoning skills need sharpening. The good/evil distinction (or lack thereof) is only a problem for some of the people criticising the PT. Many others criticise it for other reasons.

And did I miss a memo...when exactly did the OT become a simplistic tale of good v evil? Was Han a clear cut good guy? Was Darth Vader? Was Luke? Wasn't one of the major points of the OT that we can't neatly categorise people?

And how are the villians any less obvious in the PT? Count Dooku couldn't be a more obvious bad guy if he wore a cloak and was played by Christopher Lee...

Hmmm...

And lets not forget the hooded bad guy who orders lots of people killed and the nutty teenager who slaughters kids.

If you want a story in which the lines between good and evil are truly blurred, check out Xiao Xiao masterpiece "Stick Figure Death Theatre #7 and #8" which comprise parts 1 and 2 in his "Mutilator" series. I'm still not sure who I'm supposed to be rooting for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.