main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I'd like to see Peter Jackson write and direct a better Star Wars prequel trilogy . . .

Oh that's right, HE CAN'T! No one has made better Star Wars prequels than Lucas
    [face_plain]

2. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Peter Jackson isn't an auteur like George Lucas is. Peter Jackson always maintained that LOTR was a totally colaborative effort and the result was the sum of the efforts of the entire cast and crew and J RR Tolkiens story. George Lucas has supreme control over Star Wars and (as has been trumpeted many times) "it's his baby". For bad or worse he wrote the story, conceptualised it, he has final say on the designs and he directed 3 and soon 4 of the films. George Lucas IS Star Wars. Although that doesnt mean to say the old cast and crew he had working for him weren't better.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I just don't understand why the people who hate the prequels and think Peter Jackson walks on water are spending their time here instead of TORn.

4. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "I just don't understand why the people who hate the prequels and think Peter Jackson walks on water are spending their time here instead of TORn."

I think they find some flaws with the PT's and want to let people know it.(it's all good cause iam one of them). we still love the PT's one way or another.

Peter Jackson does not walk on water. :D his movie is good but also hard to compare to Starwars.

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yet people do it all the time.

6. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Shelley,

If I think about it, I will watch FOTR again this weekend and write down every little glitch I see and then post them for you. Of course people like yodaschum will claim that PJ meant to do that and that he was being creative and resourceful.

7. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    Oh that's right, HE CAN'T! No one has made better Star Wars prequels than Lucas

Um, Duckman, Lucas is the ONLY one who has written and directed a Star Wars prequel, so we'll never know what kind of film PJ would have made, or any other director for that matter.

But just to address something that Durwood posted on on page 18:

I agree, RogueTrader. Here is how the review for the Clones DVD starts out:

available here AOTC DVD

Likely the first film in history to receive glowing reviews just by the virtue of not being awful, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones had its work cut out for it from the very beginning. Despite boffo box office, Episode I underwhelmed fans and critics alike, so with Clones the burden was on Lucas to prove he was still one of Hollywood's A-list mythmakers, a filmmaker that hadn't lost his ability to fascinate the cultural imagination. It is true that Lucas was likely stuck in a no-win situation with Episode I: nothing could hope to match the charm and inventiveness of the original trilogy, yet fans expected nothing less than the second coming. Inflated expectations aside, Menace still disappointed due to unnecessarily convoluted plotting and an over-reliance on special effects at the expense of characterization.

This is a review for the Attack Of The Clones DVD? Give me a break! The reviewer is even dismissive of the fact that much of the disappointment stemmed from over-expectation, and his sweeping generalizations with a distinct lack of proof are one of the better examples of yellow journalism I have seen.

Now I'm sorry Durwood but did you actually look at the rest of the article? Its rather big compared to that brief intro you posted. Now I really dont see the problem with the reviewer giving a quick run down of TPM and its impact on the saga. TPM was the first film of the PT and directly precedes AOTC, so its natural to use TPM as a point of reference. Now I believe you highlighted one of the comments in the review:

"Inflated expectations aside, Menace still disappointed due to unnecessarily convoluted plotting and an over-reliance on special effects at the expense of characterization"

and followed up with the response:

Yes, this sentence caught my attention, too. In one clear statement he identifies the problem and then immediately dismisses it in order to bash on The Phantom Menace.

Now I'd hardly say the reviewer was dismissing something in "order to bash The Phantom Menace".
    He (Peter M Bracke) uses the first paragraph of that article to give a run down of the present state of the PT and the impact that TPM had before launching into a critique of AOTC. The first line of the second paragraph is:

More streamlined and coherent, Lucas (working this time with co-writer Jonathan Hales) wisely tones down the technically impressive clutter in Episode II, and the renewed focus on straightforward dramatic storytelling makes for a considerable improvement over the bloated Phantom.

The reviewer gave a valid review of AOTC, yet because the first article involved a summary of TPM, you see it as an attempt to launch more attacks on TPM. In fact, some parts of that review could be seen as praise for GL:

Always an innovator, Lucas continued to break boundaries with Episode II, the first full-length Hollywood motion picture to be shot entirely with super-duper HD digital cameras....Like the two digital theatrical presentations I saw of Episode II, I did notice that on a couple of the darkest interiors there still seemed to be a slight decrease in color purity and smoothness, although that may be a result of the film's intended visual style and not the transfer. But in my opinion film and digital video are their own separate beasts, and with a presentation this good, who cares?

Going back to your original post, you posted an article that reviewed a trailer for TTT, and you seem to be very

8. Mapper

May 17, 2002
    Draculas_guest,

Please stay off topic.

:D

9. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    (voice of Porkins) Stay on topic. Stay on topic! 8-}

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, stay on topic! I want to see more 'proof' of this media bias against Star Wars and GL, too!

Lady S.

11. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    durwood has had about a week to prove there is a bias yet we have nothing.

i call foul!!

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    We finally get another on topic post, and its longer than War and Peace.

13. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    it's does damn right-wing republican conservatives that are causing the media bias to starwars. :p

14. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Watching some of OT, I realize that it really doesn't have that much better acting. True, Han and Leia dwarfs Anakin and Padme's love story, but we GREW UP with Han and Leia so naturally they have the edge.

Why people cannot just shut the F%$# up and enjoy the PT as little pieces of entertainment like they once did the OT I do not know. We were young, we looked too deep, that is why many are disappointed by the PT.

15. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I think people fail to reaize all SW movies are a bit cheesy on purpose

Its that old Buck Rogers feel he's going for. That's part of what makes SW great. If they didn't mean to do it, that would be one thing.

16. Mapper

May 17, 2002
    So you are comparing R2 to Tweeki? ?[face_plain]

17. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    R2 is Alec Guiness in a can compared to him!

18. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    at least no ones mentioned the war on terror or Iraq.

19. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    "at least no ones mentioned the war on terror or Iraq."

Yeah, and the sniper on loose in America is Jango Fett.

20. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "at least no ones mentioned the war on terror or Iraq."

Only_2 must be afk

21. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    it's does damn right-wing republican conservatives that are causing the media bias to starwars.

You mean the one's who would rather defend the country from false religious whackos who like to crash planes into buildings than to sit around waiting for it to happen again? Yeah damn those Republicans. I want wake up every day wonering if the water I'm making my coffee with has small pox in it.

DrE, you spoke too soon.

And I think the fact that pretty much everybody here read reviews from idiots like David Brin and The Phantom Editor and others who would rather attack Lucas and his abilities than his movies shows that there is media bias. How could Brin, who is a Sci Fi writer himself not be considered biased? He's a hypocrite. It may not be as far reaching as some believe, but the bias does indeed exist. That is, of course, if you lend any credibilty to either of those reviews which you clearly have, DrE.

22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Warning, going off topic here!

That sniper just shot at a kindergarten in VA.

Only_2, boiling smallpox kills it, so you wouldn't get sick anyway.

Please start praying for those kids in VA!

Lady S.

23. Only_2

May 21, 2002
    I'm not a disease researcher Lady Sami, so thanks for the tip. Coffee = small pox free, I'll write that down. All I know is that when 4 planes crash into buildings in 2 hours thats something that we might want to do something about. It's been a year and not much has happened. Waiting for an impotent, corrupt, and proven useless legislative body like the UN to do something about it is a recipe for failure.

You know it doesn't hurt to throw a reality check in here once in a while. Star Wars isn't the only thing we think about is it? For all your sake's I certainly hope not.

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Only_2,

Yesterday, congress gave the president the power to attack Iraq with or without the UN's approval.

Lady S.

25. Only_2

May 21, 2002
    I know. Isn't it great?

Where did you hear about the sniper shooting into a kindergarten? I heard about the Gas Station one this morning, but not the Kindergarten, it's not anywhere on the web.

Boy am I glad I live in Boston and not near D.C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.