main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    the argument actually goes this way...

Mr. Basher: The big box office of TPM doesn't mean it was good, alot of people buy big macs but that dont make em' steaks. titanic made alot of money, do you think that is a great film too? considering TPM was the first star wars movie in 16 years, and probably the most anticipated film in history, the box-office was pretty damn weak.

Mr. Gusher: What about AOTC?

Mr. Basher: Well, considering the drop-off, Box office clearly points to a disappointment.

Mr. Gusher: But I thought box office didn't really mean anything?

Mr. Basher: i never said that, there you go again making up complaints like "lucas raped my childhood" and "box office doesnt mean anything".

Mr. Gusher: Huh?

Mr. Basher: exactly.

so there! :D

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    What a tool.

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    You know what's funny? Everybody here talks about how the media have elevated Jackson at Lucas' expense and claim that Jackson is the new Lucas. But I have never ever seen such an article in any paper. Maybe I'm not reading the same papers as you but I've yet to find a review that said "Jackson has overtaken Lucas".

Jackson is not the new Lucas. He makes totally different movies. After LOTR he will go back and make two small New Zealand films along the line of Heavenly Creatures. The KingKong idea is on hold. Jackson always has been a director of small cult movies and I believe this is what he will be doing in future too. Don't expect another blockbuster franchise from him in the future. He often calls his films "family films" as in films made by his family. His pals are doing the effects in LOTR. The wife of his neighbour wrote the screenplay for it. This is not Hollywood filmmaking. And as a Jackson fan for many years I would rather see another Bad Taste from him than King Kong.

Lucas is different. A talented businessman and director his films have a totally different approach. Sure, he also takes the odd risk when it comes to producing films (Tucker comes to mind) but at the end of the day SW and LOTR couldn't be any more different. Despite the fact that both are fantasy sagas they have completely different approaches and executions. It's like comparing The Godfather with an Agatha Christie film just because both deal with crime.

4. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Alright I'll give my view on this.

Wow LOTR is the media's favourite pet, Peter Jackson can do no wrong and they would kiss his ass if they could.

I didn't like FOTR, I thought it was boring, lagged and I kept thinking when i watched it "man I wish SW was out right now".
    Peter Jackson did no justice to Tolkien's books IMHO.

Star Wars is my thing, I love it and wil continue to love it til my dying day.

Bashers I'm afraid have no common sense, all this rubbish about wanting discussion is just an excuse so they can bash Lucas' story to hell and attack Lucas.
    All this talk of how the PT could have been done makes no sense. The only way it could have been done was the way Lucas did it.

To be honest I'm getting sick of all this, I can't believe some of you call yourself Star Wars fans. If you were Star wars fan even if you disliked what Lucas had done you'd have the gall to actually respect his work.
    I am a Star Wars fan, i like what Lucas is doing and thats all that matters.
    If you're so concerned about Lucas' story that you have to go "LOTR is better, PJ is god" then you are truely pathetic and really have no place here.

And if you like both SW and LOTR, thats great and I'm glad you can appreciate both.

5. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    The title of this thread is pretty funny. To think that the media cares enough about Star Wars to form a bias about it. Most of my friends who really loved Star Wars have just turned indifferent to it; they would rather not have anything to do with it than discuss why they're unhappy with it.

Here's the dialogue I imagine that takes place nowadays:

SOME GUY: Hey, have you seen the new Star Wars?

OTHER DUDE: Yeah, of course! Star Wars is one of my favorite movies!

SOME GUY: No, the new one. Did you see the new one?

OTHER DUDE: Oh, you mean the Phantom Menace? I didn't like it that much.

SOME GUY: Well, did you see Episode II? Attack of the Clones?

OTHER DUDE: Maybe I'll rent it when it comes out.

6. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I am tired of the Star Wars bashing as well, like Obi-Wan2001 was saying. We can enjoy both. I liked FOTR and am looking forward to TTT. But also like Shelley says they praise PJ for his R?X and it is no different then what Lucas is doing. Do not get me wrong, I think the F/X in TTT look great, but he is not doing anything new that has not been used or done before. CGI is the way to go with making these types of movies. Also like Shelley said, PJ is following Hollywood where Lucas is doing things himself. So I guess the critcs are trying to get on Hollywoods good side and will side with those filmakers that are the "hollywood" process.

7. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    PJ is following Hollywood where Lucas is doing things himself.

Read Tukafo's post above before you make this same mistaken assumption again. ;)

8. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "besides apparently it was enough time for you to decide that he was better, Geist."

We'll know when the film comes out.

Ekenobi:

If every filmmaker had the resources to work on their own, without a bunch of money-minded strangers horning in on their creativity, they would. Not all of us are billionaires, you know. ;)

9. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I like what Peter Jackson, George Lucas and the Wach. brothers are doing in films. Which is make great orignal movies without the Studio exec. SCREWING it up. :D

10. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    Thank God PJ hooked up with New Line. When he took the project to Miramax, they wanted him to crunch all three books into two films, or even one.

11. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Read Tukafo's post above before you make this same mistaken assumption again.
    I actually posted this before I even read the other pages and it was to late to retract. So I apolgize. And I am sure Jackson would be able to make his own movie if he had his own resources.

12. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    I like what Peter Jackson, George Lucas and the Wach. brothers are doing in films. Which is make great orignal movies without the Studio exec. SCREWING it up

I agree here. I am just enjoying movies, period. It just so happens my fav is AOTC right now. But I enjoyed SM, HP, LOTR, Matrix, and many others. I go to the movies every weekend. So I just enjoy going to the cinema and getting away from the real world if only for a few hours. Movies ROCK!!!

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't mind people complaining about their fanship.

It's their loss.

14. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Didn't PJ handpicked his production and special effects team???

New Line was smart to not butt in like other studios.

15. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    So in actuality, it is the Studios that keep tieing the hands of the filmakers? Which suck. Just let the Filmakers do their own thing! Maybe we would have a better crop of films.

16. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Didn't PJ handpicked his production and special effects team?"

That he did; he just needed New Line to handle funding and distribution.

"So in actuality, it is the Studios that keep tieing the hands of the filmakers?"

Quite often. Read up on what they did to Kevin Smith's Superman script. They made him throw in everything from gay R2-D2s to fight scenes with polar bears. Seriously.

17. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm sorry, but is there some virus on theforce.net that causes many of the people who post here to catagorise things so simplisticly?

"Gushers". "Bashers". "The Media". "Hollywood". "Critics". These "one size fits all labels" and (more annoyingly) the "one size fits all" definitions are causing more harm then good. I can point to "Bashers" who love AOTC; I can point to "Gushers" who don't like TPM; I can point to "Critics" and members of "The Media" that have loved the prequels.

Honestly, how many exceptions to the rule do you need to see before "the rule" stops being a rule?

18. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    The trouble with that exchange in The Simpsons that SLAVE2 posted above it's that it's very obvious it was written by some very angsty writer on The Simpsons, with Bart becoming his or her mouthpiece, who was getting rather sensitive to fan reaction to some of the latest episodes. While the Comic Store Guy is based on a type of fan you get in almost everything (music, sport, film etc), what Bart says is flawed. Yes, George Lucas is providing us with some rather smashing entertainment, but does that mean that no one is allowed to voice any criticisms of it? Star Wars films are made for the consumption of an audience. If part or all of the audience doesn't like it, surely they should be allowed to state why they didn't like it? Or, as George Lucas has provided us with these films out of the goodness of his heart, is any criticism we have of it suddenly invalid? Of course not. That whole exchange in The Simpsons rather reminds me of how we are told to respect our parents. Yes, we should do, but not when they're being idiots. And, for me, that's the case with The Phantom Menace. Of couse, some people take it too far, but the argument presented in The Simpsons is essentialy flawed. At least in my view, anyway.

I think it scores more points for being funny.

19. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    The Simpson is the funniest and greatest pure entertainment show/movie of the past 13 years. :D

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Imperial_Guard: Would you care to explain why? Let's think about what Bart said: "What right have you got to complain?". That is very obviously an over sensitive writer trying to defend his work, and unfortunately, it doesn't work. It's a flawed argument, and it's very silly applying it here. And I'd like to point out that I love The Simpsons, I just find some moments of it rather irritating, that exchange being one of them.

21. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Oakessteve, I couldn't agree with you more!

22. sr_spielbergo1

sr_spielbergo1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    dr. evazan: i like men!

tokyo: i like men too!

dr. evazan: not as much as i do

23. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    "dr. evazan: i like men!

tokyo: i like men too!

dr. evazan: not as much as i do"

Where the hell did that come from :confused: :eek: [face_laugh]

24. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Anyone who over anylises the Simpsons deserves not to find it funny :p

BTW I wasn't using that Simpsons exchange as a valid argument or anything, just a little humour as its like a basher/gusher conversation. But the second example, about critising being fun was right :p

25. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    A Simpson's episode that struck a nerve for me was the one where Homer gets a crayon removed from his brain and becomes smarter. Then he goes to see an incredibly stupid Julia Roberts movie and says out loud "That's not funny.Why is everybody laughing?"Then someone yells "Who's not enjoying the movie?" and everyone in the theater gets up and chases him. That's how I feel sometimes on these boards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.