main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The AOTC DVD

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedihexer, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Just wanted to share with everyone. A Friend who used to work with LFL, just found out. The DVD is finished. :) They only now have to put the stuff in the order they want, and mass produce. They have until the later part of November.

Something tells me though, if enough are finished they could be released early. It's a known fact Lucas doesn't want to go up against LOTR on the big DVD!

Let's hope for an early release.

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
  3. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't think going against LotR will be too big of an issue. Chances are fans of one film are fans of the other. Plus LotR comes out in two different versions, one with bonus discs and added material like footage from Two Towers (which isn't that big a deal since the movie is released about a month after that version of DVD... there's no real lag time between the movies, and I think that could actually hurt it).

I'm just glad that it's like the Phantom Menace garbage where we were told the DVD might not be out until all the movies are released, so we bought the video. I really don't get Lucasfilm sometimes. They're also sitting on the goldmine Indiana Jones which people would buy on DVD in an instant, even Temple of Doom.

Dwayne

4. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I have AOTC on DVIX -- anyone have a player set up can burn a copy if I watch them burn it (I'm not losing this baby)

5. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    What is DVIX?

6. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, while it's cute that George approved TPM and AOTC for DVD, I only have one question:

Where is my classic trilogy on DVD?!

Sorry, just had to get that out... I'm just disappointed, that's all... I'll buy AOTC on DVD--it'll be nice to have, but I really want the classic trilogy in the end. It's just not fair, George!!! :_|

7. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    The rumor I've heard everytime I pester the people at SunCoast, or Steve Sansweet is that it will probably not be until 2005 or 2006 after all the movies are done and then we'll have the classic trilogy on DVD. I have heard it's because they don't have a lot of the extras that people normally want like director commentary, etc... Who knows. Makes a lot of people mad though. Good to know though that we can probably get "Three Men and a Little Lady" on DVD, and "Tango and Cash."

Dwayne

8. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    It won't be the Classic Trilogy, though. It'll be the Superfluous Additions.

9. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    BYOB,

I agree. It won't be the "CLASSIC" trilogy.

It will be the revamped "Special Submission" versions that aren't cool (IMHO).

If only Lucas would allow branching so we can all see the trilogy they way each of us WANTS to see it...

but I'm not holding my breath (or my wallet open)...

10. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Maybe in lieu of all the goodies we won't get, they'll include both version of the trilogy.

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Lucas has stated that the original versions of the trilogy will not be released on DVD. He said something like "The Special Editions are the movies in my mind."

12. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I just read that, too. Man, George can be such a prima donna.

And for the record, if you liked Tango & Cash, you'll love Iron Eagle 2--available now on DVD.

13. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "Rambo was a *****."

14. CheddarJedi

CheddarJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    If you really want the Classic Trilogy on DVD, look here. I don't know if it's legal, but since George isn't gonna offer the product we grew up with on DVD, it may be our only alternative.

Note: the Movieshop link doesn't work, so use this link instead, though I'm not certain it's the same company.

15. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, George needs to wake up! The whole reason I'm into SW in the first place is because the classic trilogy exists! I would not be one with the new trilogy without the classic!

And if he thinks we need more new scenes, he's goofy! Frankly, if he just lobbed on any and all behind the scenes footage, the old documentaries, with both the original and special edition film versions, I'd be happy. Now, gee, George, does that sound too hard? And I'll pay whatever you want, obviously, so what's the big hairy deal?

And if you were to release the big 6 set in 2005 or 2006, I'd buy that too, so you'll hardly be pressed for cash!

But cripes! How long must we wait?! :_| I'm two steps away from getting them on DVD through Malaysia at this point (I hear you can turn the subtitles off, which is nice...) or a DIVX version! Why must you alienate your long time fans?

Ok, I'm am calm now... Hindu cow... ohhmmm...

(Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, especially being a Leia costumer--without good pics, the video is your last, and oftentimes worst resort... :( )

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Oh, and thanks for the link, Cheddar. I'm considering it...

17. CheddarJedi

CheddarJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I'll probably upset a few of you by expressing this, but I don't mind GL polishing the original trilogy. It's his movie and his vision that we're paying to see. He has the right to alter it as he sees fit. I accept that with more money and technology available to him, he can update (and, in his mind, enhance) episodes 4-6 to make the entire epic flow more smoothly.

Frankly, I felt something was missing from the original trilogy without Jabba's scene in ANH - but if it had been included in 1977, we'd never have the space slug we're familiar with in ROTJ - instead he'd just be some fat guy. I also enjoyed additional footage of Mos Eisly, Bespin, and the Wampa. I can't wait to see how Padme is incorporated in ROTJ.

On the other hand, I'll never accept Greedo shooting first. I agree that Lucas would be wise to include unaltered versions of Episodes 4-6 with the DVDs in 2006. After all, those versions were good enough for us for 20 years. Plus, those are the versions we fell in love with. He risks alienating many fans (and losing sales dollars) by his artistic pride. Assuming he will not make the original versions available, I've placed my order with Movieshop to get DVD copies of the original trilogy - mainly to get them in widescreen format while I still can.

Getting back to this topic, I can't wait to get AOTC on DVD. I was less excited about TPM and let it sit on the shelves for six months before grabbing my copy. I'll definitely be in line in November (or whenever the AOTC DVD becomes available). I'm praying GL sees fit to replace as many cut scenes as possible.

18. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    My order is already sent. [face_devil] I'm a little worried though. The name of the item ended with "3CD" instead of "DVD," but the part number started with "DVD". ?[face_plain]

Oh well. I guess I'll figure it out when it arrives.

19. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, I bought the VCD set, Tom, and that cost less than $25. So I'm assuming that if it's over $30 (which it is), it must be DVD. Let me know if it is. I can bring my VCD set on the 29th for comparison, if you like... :)

20. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I had the VCD set of the Special Editions for a while, but I gave them away to a Russian immigrant who worked here as a janitor. He was a hardcore fan and was desperate to have something Star Wars to play in his DVD player.

21. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Are they in the US format or whatever that is so that they'll play on my regular old DVD player or PS2. My friend buys a lot of DVDs from Europe (like Greatest American Hero, go ahead, make fun of him, I do) and it won't play on a regular DVD player. Just wondering.

As far as the additional scenes go. Some of them I don't mind, like putting Jabba back into ANH, and adding Biggs. That's fine. More Wampa footage? Like I'm going to complain. But here are some things he should remove/replace:

1) Greedo shoots first. I like Han better when he shoots first. And missing from two feet away makes Greedo look just plain stupid. I think we all accepted Han perfectly well as a guy that is willing to shoot first in self defense. It makes him cooler. I laughed out loud during Jay and Silent Bob when the Ben Afleck character mentions this.

2) Boba "Super Pimp" Fett tapping the woman on the chin during RotJ. He wouldn't do that, it's just plain silly. It's bad enough the Sarlac burps when it (allegedly) swallows him, but why is Boba Fett suddenly Lando. Why not just make him say, "All this sand on Tatooine and you are still the finest thing around." Gah. Makes me mad.

3) Wuzzul, or whatever that big headed monkey-man thing should be completely removed and the song and band should be restored to the original Max Rebo, Droopy McCool and Sy Snootles. We don't need the Rodian Supremes back there. And the song was better before all that hooting.

There should be an option to watch the "classic" or "New and improved" versions. Or maybe by then there will be a way to program scenes so I can skip chapters or pick them, like a Zork book.

Dwayne

22. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I loved that line from Ben Afflack in Jay and Silent Bob, too.

Wishful thinking on my part, purely, but maybe if enough fans let Lucas know what they want, maybe (like I said, wishful thinking), he would include both versions of the movie on the final DVD. From a financial point of view, it would make sense for him because we'd all pay for both versions in the same set. We have to have both for a historical point of view anyway.

23. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
  24. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Thanks, I signed up. If there's money to be had, he might try it. I know that he probably feels that his vision is the right one (and they are his movies), but he should also be aware of what people love. And I don't love Greedo shoots first.

25. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I only have 4 major complaints with the Special* Additions: 1) Greedo shooting first, 2) CG Jabba that looks like something George picked out of his nose, 3) full-frontal Wampa, 4) "Lapti Nek" and the original Ewok celebration song being replaced by some very unimaginative lumps of poop.

*"Special" as in "rides the short bus to school."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.