main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The AOTC DVD

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedihexer, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I hated:
    - Greedo shooting first
    - Digital Jabba (although I did like the re-insertion of the Jabba footage - good in theory, bad in execution).
    - Luke screaming as he falls on Cloud City
    - "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." - just doesn't sound right
    - Jedi Rocks in Jabba's Palace
    - The Sarlaac Pit's new beak

I liked:
    - New shots of Mos Eisley
    - Reinserting the Biggs scene on Yavin (but why not do the same with the Tatooine scene?)
    - New shots of Death Star attack
    - More Wampa
    - New shots of Cloud City
    - New ending to Return of the Jedi - much more appropriate to end a saga than "nub nub".

Jeff

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Oh yeah... Why does Luke scream the exact same scream from Palpatine's death scene? Why does he scream at all if he meant to fall? I really hate that.

3. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I would be screaming if i was the one falling. as much as i DON'T like the addition of the scream it is kinda unavoidable, it has nothing to do with whether he meant to fall or not. he's falling like a rock and its a long way down.

(he should have just joined his father and they could have ruled the galaxy as father and son, that would have been so cute)

-mike

4. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I really loathe the Palpatine scream for Luke in ESB! It ruins the whole feeling!--I preferred it when I felt he accepted his fate, to fall to his death rather than join his father.

And I am certainly, 100% against Greedo shooting first! Sheesh! It just looks so bad!

But the worst is during the insertion of Jabba in ANH. I don't mind the insertion per se, but I really hate that Han steps on his tail! Cripes! No one really would have noticed that his tail would be in the way if Han walked around him! And for those of us who would notice, it would just be a fun trivia fact for us to play with! Yikes! It's so ridiculous, it's hard to watch!

Ok, that's my rant for 11:37pm! Back to "June Bugs" on Cartoon Network and embroidering...

5. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    The problem I have with the added Jabba scenes in ANH is they don't even come close to looking real. The big Jabba puppet in ROTJ looks sooooo much better. Thats my cent and a half worth. I have to confess I havent' seen the ESB or ROTJ special editions.

6. Swiski66

Swiski66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2002
    This reiterates what people are saying that Lucas can act like a spoiled brat sometimes. The Special Edition crew probably cringed when Lucas told them to add in the Greedo firing shot or the Luke Bespin scream. But it's his baby and he can do what he wants. I could be wrong, but I think on a few interviews with Lucas, he even said things like "if people hear bad things about the movie...tough. Don't go see it then."

7. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Are you talking about attack of the clones or the triology?????

thx
    jedi kiss rock

8. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I've never heard Lucas say anything like that, but I admit I don't watch all the interviews or documentaries about the making of the films.

I'm not crazy about the Jabba scene added in either. I think it's good to see Jabba again, but, he looks just plain strange. And I guess Jabba must have grown extraordinarilly in power or ego from ANH to RotJ, because in ANH Han pushes him around (even though Jabba just tried to have him killed), and in RotJ, Jabba doesn't want the money no matter how much it it. Plus, as much as I love Boba Fett, I don't see why he was there. If Jabba was paying him to just stand around, he might as well have paid him to get Han instead of sending Greedo. Jabba has the power and resources to pay Boba Fett to stand around, even though Boba Fett is well known enough to be personally requested by Darth Vader a short time later, but not powerful enough to say "No Han, you'll pay me the percentage I want. In fact, I'm doubling the interest, there will be no bargain." I realize they had to use Harrison's dialogue so Lucas was kind of limited, but... it really doesn't make sense.

Hopefully on the AOTC deleted scenes, we get to see Plo Kloon ripping the droid army apart like we all know he can. Or just one good swing, that's all I want.

Dwayne

9. D-Man

D-Man Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2002
    I got my Star Wars SE Trilogy on ebay some months ago. There are Original Trilogy available as well. Just look around on ebay for a seller in the U.S. who isn't selling junk. Many of the less than $40 sets are straight Laserdisc or even (shudder) VHS rips with permanant subtitles.

The first set I bought stupidly for $30 plus shipping was just junk. First, the ROTJ disc wouldnt play at all in any DVD player I tried. Second, ESB was only in Dolby Surround (2.0) as the DD 5.1 track was about 3 minutes unsynced (you hear Luke talking to Vader in the carbon chamber as you see him getting his hand chopped off). Third, both films that worked (ESB and ANH) had permant asian subtitles.

I went back to ebay and picked up a $70 set from someone in Illinois (2 days shipping), which are of very high quality. All the movies work fine, have DD5.1 *AND* DTS 5.1 sound, no subtitles, perfect video. Only problem is the the menu on the ROTJ disc has ESB pictures =) .

10. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Have you ever noticed that there's a line of dialogue that's used twice in ANH:SE? When Han is easing his blaster out of its holster, he says "Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?" Originally the line was from the Jabba scene, but since that was cut from the original version of the film, Lucas was able to have the audio lifted from that scene and plunked down as a voice over on a shot that didn't have Han's face in it. But no one bothered to take it back out from the Greedo scene when the Jabba scene was put back in for the Special Edition.

Sometimes I just wanna smack Uncle George upside the head and go "DURR!!"

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  12. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I never heard that before. That's extremely interesting to know. Where did you hear that?

13. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Hmmmm...Very interesting. Thanks for the info, Tom!

14. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I... heard it... from here. ?[face_plain]

15. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
  16. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Once again tommy boy steps up to the plate to give us the info, thx bud

jedi kiss rock

17. Swiski66

Swiski66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2002
    I purchased a SW trilogy set from Malaysia a while back that is a legit release of the last Special Edition (with the Tatooine AOTC behind-the-scenes). But what I don't like about it is that it's the pan-and-scan version and there is pixelation (image made of tiny cubes) of the movie on my TV screen. Is there a better version out there than this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.