main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Approaching Storm and how it changed my views on the Jedi in the Old Republic!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by episodenone, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Whew.
    Sorry for the long title but I wanted to get people in the door.

I started reading it last night and got to Ch. 5.

I have been wondering how the Jedi are perceived in the Ole Repub ever since the new era of the prequels came around.

Since we aren't getting any real history of the jedi in the OR not related to the PT - then i am forced t only see them in this era.

while there are supposedly 10,000 jedi strolling around, there are 10's of 1000's of planets and systems.
    IMO - this is overkill, but noone asked me anyway.

i once thought of the jedi as somehow akin to how we would see them on the planet earth - everyone would be familiar with them and their abilities and they would have an active political role.
    clearly this is not the case - and this point is driven home by the 4 jedi's musings on the failures of politics.

now lets look at the evidence:

little ani doesn't even call a lightsaber that - he says "lasersword."
    as far as we can tell - somehow there are vast numbers of star systems falling outside the republic and outside of the influence of the jedi.

it stands to reason that there are just as many planets like tattoine as there are like naboo.

the sith seem to be nothing more than a couple of myths and legends - even to the jedi.

now luminara is viewed repeatedly as an abberation on the planet ansion as though it's rather hard to believe that they are really looking at one of those rare jedi.

nute gunray - the viceroy of the TRADE FEDERATION has never had any dealings with one in his lifetime.
    surely he has been to coruscant and knows of the jedi temple!!!

i see the jedi as an almost invisible hand lurking in the shadows and wielded by only certain tiny factions of a great big republic senate.
    rarely seen - rarely dealt with - heading towards disuse - not seen as a true tool of diplomacy.

all we see is planets, leaders, and species that don't view the jedi as something that cannot be measured and handled.

queen amildala herself doesn't really see the jedi as a solution to her problems in epI.

so which is it?
    are the jedi simply at a lowly ebb in their storied history?
    or have they ever been a true force of influence in the gffa?

i know noone made it this far - so i don't expect many responses.

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<nute gunray - the viceroy of the TRADE FEDERATION has never had any dealings with one in his lifetime. >>

Not according to The Stark Hyperspace War :D :D

wk

3. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i know wild-kaarde - i just chose to ignore that - it was a stupid story imho.

i hope for more from dark horse than that.

and john ostrander too, what a shame.

and those stupid floating heads for george's sakes!

4. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    LOL, just read pt. 4, and it explains how it doesn't contradict anything :D

wk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.