main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive The Arena Eternal (A Tournament-style RP)

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Zedd-Vega, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Storyline: The Arena of the Vadrigar

Little is known about the mysterious Vadrigar. Those who dare speak of them do so only in hushed tones and with dread in their voices. Ages past, they fashioned the diabolical Arena Eternal, populating it with the greatest warriors in the galaxy. While some suspect this was but the first step in a grand scheme envisioned by the Arena Masters, most believe they did so only to satisfy their love of carnage and fascination with chaos. Those imprisoned as gladiators in the Arena Eternal are generally too busy fighting for their lives to care one way or the other.

For uncounted centuries, battles have raged in the Arena as warriors from every corner of the universe were tempered in its deadly crucible. Now, without warning, their lives (and deaths) have been suddenly changed. Long accustomed to fending for themselves, trusting no one, and depending upon their own skills to remain alive, the accursed gladiators now find themselves grouped together and forced to compete in teams.

Again, the motives of the Vadrigar are unseen and unknown. The basic rule of life in the Arena Eternal remains unchanged, however. If someone or something other than a teammate gets in your sights,
    frag it before it frags you. If you can't tell whether someone's on your side or not, it's better to cauterize them and worry about it later.
    ("Quake3World")

However, this is not the case? for now.

Now, as the Vadrigar repopulate the Arena Eternal, they seek out beings from every corner of every dimension that is known to them. They seek out the willing, the unwilling, those who fear death, and those whom death fears. The Vadrigar want anarchy to follow within the confines of their masterful creation, and only by pitting warriors against each other once more can they attempt to sate their insatiable appetite for destruction.

Welcome to the [u]Arena Eternal[/u] [b][i]?meat?[/i][/b]. You no doubt question why you were summoned or what purpose you might serve alongside the elite and the zeroes that have been collected. Hehehe, do not worry, we the Arena Masters will indulge your curiosity?

You are a warrior from your time be it past, present, or future. We have observed you in your natural environment, witnessed your fighting styles, and have hereby deemed you worthy of our grandiose tournament. Use whatever you have at your disposal to entertain us?

Should you object, we hesitate not to dispel you from this reality and all realities in which you may have existed. Thus is the power of the omnipotent. Your only option is to abide by the rules of the Arena Eternal: [u][i][b]kill or be killed[/b][/i][/u].

Afraid of death? We will not allow our entertainment to end so soon as to let a minor thing like death interfere. You will be resurrected should the need arise, and trust our words, it will. Should you die in glorious battle, you will have lost the match, but not your soul. That is ours to keep and we decide when it will return to you.

Unfortunately, our omnipotence is dwarfed only by that of greater powers known as [b]Mods[/b]. Should your actions anyway interfere with their set of rules, especially those found in the [i][u][b]Codex of the Terms of Service[/b][/u][/i], you will be dispelled from the Arena Eternal and thereby prevented from entertaining your all-powerful Arena Masters and the general onlookers who care to observe your crushing defeats and stunning victories.

Where will you fight? That is for us to decide. Be gone with you! You have wasted our precious time long enough. Get to fighting? ?meat??
    [hr]

[b][color=crimson][hl=black]THE TOURNAMENT ITSELF[/hl][/color][/b]

The first part of the Tournament held will follow the [b]double-elimination[/b] rules and warriors will be placed on the bracket in the order given to them by the Arena Masters via PM. Warriors will fight until they: give up, cannot continue, or are killed in combat. Losers from the first bracket will

2. oppaizombie

oppaizombie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2006
    Character Name: John McClane
    Noteworthy Abilities:
  3. Tough - McClane can endure an inordinate amount of physical pain
  4. Reluctant Hero - When pressed hard enough, John McClane will rise to any challange; meeting his foe blow for blow
  5. Appropriate - Exceptional versatility allows this off-duty cop to weild any type of weapon or vehicle; known or uknown to him
  6. Jury-rig - Life on the beat taught McClane streetsmarts and that staying ahead of the enemy is how you stay alive. With this in mind, McClane has proven time and again his ability to improvise and turn whatever is on hand into a winning combination
  7. Sabotage - Whether it be a vehicle or computer, or even the well laid plans of his enemy, McClane has shown a tenacious ability to foil most anything
  8. Equipment / Weapons: Beretta 92, two extra magazines, Marlboro Reds, Advil, lighter
    Goals for the Arena Eternal: "I don't like to lose."
    Biography: John McClane has served as a police officer for 12 years; 11 years with the NYPD and more recently a year in LA. He has a history of attracting trouble, or maybe its his knack for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Whatever the reason may be, he has survived these extraordinary situations and taken names; lots of names. It'd be wrong to peg him a sociopath as he's just doing what any warm-blooded American would do. But, he's tried to settle down now and give his wife and two children their just attention- however, powerful forces have abducted him from such things as rest and have deposited the off-duty cop in some strange arena.

Never one to become overwhelmed, McClane finds a wall to lean against. Lighting a cigarette he takes a puff, exhaling somewhat irritatedly. Shaking his head he mutters to himself in a wry chuckle, "Why does this **** keep happening to me!?"

Photograph: Here

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    OOC: Approved! I almost went with Mugen or Jin, Zedd.

Character Name: Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
    Noteworthy Abilities: Mentat (Human computer) intellect, Bene Gesserit Training, Prescience, expert knife fighter
    Equipment / Weapons: Crysknife, fighting robes, stillsuit
    Goals for the Arena Eternal: Survival
    Biography: Born to the Duke Leto and Lady Jessica, young Paul was trained from a young age in martial arts, diplomacy, swordplay, and anything he set his mind to. When his family was ousted from the desert planet Arrakis, Paul organized a guerilla war against the Emperor, becoming the prophesized Messiah of the Fremen, Arrakis' native peoples, and Emperor of known space.
    Photograph: http://edb.sivy.boo.pl/besty/muad'dib.jpg

10. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006
    OOC: This is hilarious. I was going to go with either McClane or Muad'Dib, when I was thinking about characters. And to see that someone else was thinking about the latter is too ironic to not be interesting. Can I know the reason why you chose him? It's just too coincidental.

11. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    OOC: Hopefully I can post. I pulled one off in Exiles, but the forums have been giving me trouble lately. I had a large opener prepared for oppaizombie's character and mine, but it appears that it will not post it's entirety. I will just have to re-edit it.

VADRIGAR APPROVED

Character Name: Choji Akimichi
    Noteworthy Abilities: Multi-size Technique, Human Bullet Tank, basic ninjutsu
    Equipment / Weapons: Numerous kunai, shuriken, a few bags of potato chips, Three Colored Pills
    Goals for the Arena Eternal: Eat, survive, and eat some more
    Biography: Choji
    Photograph:
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/ResidentEvilJedi47/Choji.jpg]

The Vadrigar

Unknown Location

An eerie hum echoes in the pitch black of the surrounding area. The only other recognizable sound besides the breathing of John McClane. The hum pulsates for a few moments before resigning to a greater sound: the tones of several voices, some male, some female, some foreign in origin. They begin in a low whisper, which to any who hear them is almost amplified as if placed through a megaphone. The voices concede to a greater voice, one of an unknown origin and gender.

"John McClane," The voice begins to address. "We are the Arena Masters, Lords of the Arena Eternal, the very setting in which you will serve to entertain us." The voice continued, not allowing the man a word in edgewise. "It is clear to us that you have proved yourself a worthy choice for the Arena Eternal. Your skills are quite impressive for a human..." The voice paused before continuing. "Quite impressive indeed."

The hum boomed for a moment, as if the voices had cleared their throats in unison, and this time, a new voice was heard: a sensual, female-sounding voice. "You have displayed an advanced intelligence for your species, though you appear to have no scientific achievements of your own. Your physiology, much unlike that of other humans we have observed, seems much more durable than that of an average law-enforcement agent from your world."

The voiced hummed once more. A third voice, one appearing to have a bestial growl under-toning it, concludes. "Your abilities have been noted, and we have faith that you will not disappoint us with your skills in the Arena Eternal. Should you prevail over all challengers, you will be rewarded with whatever you wish: wealth, fame, immortality." The voice paused and all the others chimed in to chuckle an ambiguous chuckle. The voice continued. "If you prevail of course."

The voices hummed again, this time fading into nothingness. The pitch black subsided, and what appeared to be an average holding cell appeared around the police officer. All was silent once more, except for the annoying crunching sound in the cell across from his.

A young boy, maybe no more than twelve or thirteen years of age, sat on the cot noisily munching away at a bag of potato chips. One by one, the boy practically inhaled the chips before noticing the man who had appeared in the cell across from his own. His eyes scanned the man as he continued eating, though at a much slower pace. "They got you too huh? Those Arena guys are something else, let me tell ya. I'm sitting watching as this Lee kid just gets beaten by some Sand Ninja, and just as I'm about to fight this scary-looking Sound Ninja, I get transported here!"

The boy continued eating, as if being taken away from his own reality wasn't such a bad thing. "Anyway, I'm sure you and I aren't going to be the only ones to show up if these guys plan on using us as entertainment. The name's Choji, by the way." The boy would've extended his hand to shake, but the two were separated by evenly placed cell

12. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006
    John McClane Vadrigar Prison Cell

"Why does this **** keep happening to me!?" Off-duty cop, and hero of the Nakatomi tower, John McClane muttered between lips tight around a Marlboro Red. He exhaled a puff of smoke and leaned back against the plain wall only to pull up, his Beretta 92 instinctively drawn and extended in a tight and disciplined motion. Through the pitch black he could hear distinct humming. Puzzled he took another drag, exhaled, and made as if to cry a challange when the air suddenly boomed with a single voice that seemed to reverberate the sound of many voices.

He stood transfixed. His lips drawing back in a frustrated grimace at having no opportunity to sneak a word in edgewise. McClane heard every word, but he didn't rightly understand what he was hearing. The voice went on about Arena Masters, rewards of immortality and even about how bad-ass a cop he was- to which McClane of course agreed with a nod and a wanton grin. "Damn right," he mouthed. But everything else, hell, they might as well have been speaking in Chinese.

And just as suddenly as the voices had come they vanished. But with their disappearance, the abrupt appearance of bars all around him. He was in a cell. "This is some crazy ****..." McClane mumbled, his cigeratte dangling, almost falling, from his mouth as he spoke. Sound to the right of him. Handgun swiveling, his feet pivoting. Weapon focused even before his eyes focused. It was a kid- a fat kid.

"Hey kid-" he was about to say but the boy spoke first. Spouting just as much nonsense as the voices had. John could barely keep up with all this new terminology- it was giving him a headache.

"Sand Ninjas..." McClane echoed with a quirked brow. The boy went on. "Sound Ninjas..." he audibly mimicked with somewhat dubious belief. This wasn't right. What was really going on here was he must be hopped up on something. He'd been slipped a narcotic of some kind. A designer drug, no doubt, by the way it was royally messing his head up. But he was lucid. His head pounding within his thick skull the realization that this was no hallucination. John felt the cool air against his skin, felt the beads of sweat slowly dripping down his throbbing temples. No, this was all very real- too real, to the cop.

"Slow down, kid," McClane said after the fatty had finished. "I don't have a clue what're you saying and I'm not gonna so no use explaining it- sand and sound Ninjas!? What the hell's that supposed to mean to me... So let's move on to whats important. Where in the hell am I?" He stepped up towards the bars that divided him from the cell that separated the two of them. "Yeah, that 'voice' told me everything it wanted me to know, but I'm not buying the crazy idea that I've been magically transported to this "Arena Eternal." Sounds like a crummy title to some video game. Holly's not letting this one slide..." He said as he shook his head, finally committing to pounding it lightly against the bars.

The expletives he softly listed went on and on and on...

Tag: Zedd-Vega

13. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    Choji Akimichi

Vadrigar Prison Cell

Choji listened to the man as he verbally discarded many of the things Choji had mentioned. In response, Choji drew the last chip from the bag and sighed dreamily. "The last chip is always the best," The rotund boy scrafed down the chip and leaned forward in his seated position to eye John in the cell across from him. "Whatever those Arena guys told you, it's the truth. Wherever it is you came from, you might as well not even exist anymore."

Choji didn't really wait for a response before pulling another bag of chips out from behind him. He opened the bag and placed a chip in-between each finger and gobbled them up quickly, his gaze never leaving the inside of the bag. "Pal, you're stuck here until they say you can go."

TAG: oppaizombie

14. War_Hero

War_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2006
    Character Sheet-GM approved

Character Name: Marcus Fenix

Noteworthy Abilities: Military combat expert, hardly ever misses

Equipment / Weapons: Lanver assualt rifle(with the chainsaw beyonette), standard issue COG pistol, standard issue COG armor

Goals for the Arena Eternal: To make it out alive

Biography: Son of famed military scientist, Adam Fenix, Marcus established a reputation as a brilliant soldier during the Pendulum Wars, earning field promotions and decorations. He was on a fast track to an outstanding military career, until the war with the Locust Horde began.

One long decade after Emergence Day, the Horde Army breached Jacinto Plateau's defenses and Marcus defied orders so he could save his father. He was too late, and in addition to losing his father, Marcus was charged with dereliction of duty and was sentenced to 40 years in Jacinto Maximum Security Penitentiary.

Four years into his sentence, the Horde Army overtook the Jacinto Penintentiary. But Marcus was rescued by his best friend, Dominic Santiago, so that he could join the fight against the Locust Horde Army.

Picture:
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/LJLOWERY/marcusf.jpg

15. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    Marcus:

Marcus wakes up not knowing where he is. He could now see clearly and noticed he was in a cell."Stupid Locusts, they should have stayed dead," he thought as if he was on a locust spaceship. He started hearing voices quite near him. He got up and looked through the bars of the cell, to his left was a fat kid dressed up as a ninja or something. The must have been talking to the man in the cell next to him."Hey, what the hell is this place?"

TAG: All

16. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006

Another puff on his smoke had John nodding in remiss acquiescence. The kid was right. Unless he was 'magically transported' back home to LA there was nothing he could do but sit in his cell. Well, he could sit in his cell and smoke and that sounded as good a plan as anything for the moment. At least until the voices came back to inform him on what exactly the "challanges" were going to be. He slid down the bars and sat with stern indignation. "****'s still pretty unbelievably."

McClane realized he could really go for a drink and seeing that the kid seemed to have an endless supply of potato chips, decided to ask he if also happened to have an unlimited supply of booze. "You got any Jack over there, kid?" John asked with a chuckle, pinching the corner of his mouth to keep the cig from falling. Back on Earth the answer to that question would be a nobrainer. But this wasn't exactly the Earth.

Before the kid could speak, someone else replied. Though it wasn't exactly the answer McClane was looking for. The voice came from further away than the kid, so John couldn't see who it was. But they sounded human enough. "Haven't you go the great welcome yet? That **** is bound to spin your head."

Tag: Zedd-Vega and War_Hero

17. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    Choji Akimichi

Vadrigar Prison Cell

Choji arched a brow at the newcomer and the question posed to him by John. He pointed to himself as if to question John's question. "Jack? I'm Choji. Cho-ji." Choji sighed and stood up slowly, the bag of chips still in his hand as he looked over into the next cell. He couldn't see much, seeing as how he was right next to the guy, but he could tell someone else had been brought there. Choji would've given him a welcome as he did before with John, but these kinds of rough-and-tumble guys were better left alone.

"These guys must be with the ANBU Black Ops or something. They're real big, not big like my dad, but big as in mountains of muscle and armed with all kinds of weird weapons." Choji thought before leaning against the bars. The two men were probably hungry, but if they had been more polite to the pudgy ninja, they may have been offered a chip or two.

"What kind of entertainment do you think these Arena guys are going to use us for? Like a talent show or something?" The question was absurd, but that was expected from a kid. He probably wasn't aware that these Arena Masters, these Vadrigar were pitting them against one another in fights to the death, where if they died, they would be brought back to fight and fight some more. Sadistic and twisted beings the Vadrigar...

TAG: oppaizombie, War_hero

18. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    Marcus:

"I know the whole deal, these guys are maniacs, Im gonna get us out of here." He picked up his lancer assualt rifle and revved up the chainsaw. He tried sawing the bars, but they were more invulnerable than any material he knows of. After about two minutes he stopped "If I m going to use this in the battle then I dont want to were it out."

TAG: opaizombie, zedd-vega

19. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006

"What?" John replied. "No, You're not Jack, I'm asking for... Forget it." John rubbed a hand across his face, smiling through his fingers and laughing at the bizarre situation he had beent thrust into. With a breath he rose and faced the bars. "Choji, right?" He didn't get a chance to hear if he had caught the name right - for the second time now - for the other man had started what sounded like a buzzsaw. Vainly he tried to cut through the bars. John wasn't surprised that the bars held.

Taking the cigarette into his hand, McClane paced around the bars. The kid, Choji, asked what his thoughts were on what the voices had meant by "use." With a sardonic smile he stopped and with his back against more of the bars took another drag. "You got it right, kid," he said. "It's going to be one hell of a talent show... Yippee-ki-yay." He whispered through another series of chuckles. He let his head rest against the cage as he shot the other man, the one who had wielded that chainsaw, a question. "Hey, buddy, you with the chainsaw. You don't got a beer handy do ya?"

Tag: Zedd-Vega and War_Hero

20. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    Choji Akimichi

Vadrigar Prison Cell

Choji sighed and looked to the other man, the unknown one with the saw, and spoke up again, a few chips still crunching in his mouth. "It's no use. I already tried getting out of here once, and even if you came close, I think those Arena guys would kill you with a thought." Choji was right, and these two men knew it. The Vadrigar, these interstellar beings, had brought them here, and told each of them their reasons for doing so. They were told their known and unknown strengths and potential, and these Vadrigar wanted them to fight each other to test these abilities.

The one in the cell across from Choji seemed to be uninterested in the prospect of being in a talent show, but however, the dawning realization came to the portly ninja. "We're going to fight each other..." The boy paused. "We're going to fight and we're going to die... OH MAN! It's the Chunin Exams all over again! I end up being paired against one strong guy, now I'm against two more!" The clearly frightened ninja began breathing heavily, devouring the entire bag of chips in a matter of seconds. He was too young to die...

TAG: oppaizombie, War_Hero

21. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    Marcus:

Marcus checked his guns just to make sure they were fully loaded fpr the battle."If I didnt get transported here in the middle of a war, I would probably have one for you."

He just realized he knew their names."I know your names so I will tell you mine. My name is Marcus Fenix."

TAG: Zedd-Vega, Oppaizombie

22. Ptolemy7

Ptolemy7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2006
    GM Approved

Character Name: Connor McCleod
    Noteworthy Abilities: Practically immortal
    Equipment / Weapons: Katana
    Goals for the Arena Eternal: Survival
    Biography: Connor McCleod, a.k.a the Highlander, was born in 1518 in, well, yeah, the highlands of Scotland. He is one of a race of immortals, who can only be slain by having their head slashed off with a sword. These men take "quickenings" by killing each other, until there is only one remaining.
    Photograph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Connor_sword.jpg

IC: Highlander

Connor waited. So it was a contest, like the countless before. No man was meant to live this long. Slowly, the Highlander sat down on the hard pallet provided, which creaked slightly in response. He leaned back against the wall, drew his sword and whetstone, and began to sharpen the blade, with regular rasps, like the voice of a dying crone. Soon, it would begin; it had to. The taste for blood, among the sentient races, seemed insatiable. No, it wouldn't be long at all. And, once again, there could be only one. Connor's whetstone paused halfway down his katana. He slowly began to laugh.

TAG: Any

23. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    Marcus:

All of a sudden, Marcus heard some sort of a noise down the hallway ffom one of the cells. He couldnt quite figure out what it was, but he would find out."Whose there?"

TAG: Ptolemy7

24. Ptolemy7

Mar 11, 2006

Connor's laugh was cut off by a question from a cell down the hall. "Who's there?" came a challenging voice, echoing dismally among the cells.
    "Ah am Connor McCleod," replied Connor in a low voice. "Who asks? Man or not?" By this, naturally, he meant 'Man or Immortal'. The Highlander got to his feet, setting his katana aside on the pallet, and stepped carefully over to the bars, where he withdrew into the gloom, trying to catch a glimpse of the other man. The bars painted diagonal shadows across McCleod's chiseled face as he stood like a statue, running his fingers lightly along the cool metal of the bars.

TAG: War_Hero

25. oppaizombie

Oct 1, 2006

The off-duty cop gave a glance to the fat kid when he finally realized what they were doing there. "No ****, Sherman." McClane mouthed, the Marlboro Red still in his mouth. "It's a regular celebrity deathmatch."

John ran a hand through his short brown hair, feeling his sweat had alreay added a certain moist feel to it. He couldn't actually tell if it was hot or cool. The air was sorta stale but also somewhat heavy, at least to him. McClane wasn't all that knowledgable about physics in general, so he couldn't be sure if the heavy feeling was just in his mind or whether it had something to do with where they were. Whatever it was it sure didn't feel like home and that made him somewhat irritated. "Ah, Holly, baby..." He breathed with closed eyes. The acrid scent of the smoke being the only real familiar smell, and thus linked him lornly back to his life in LA.

He noticed more talking going on down past the fat kid and he wondered who else had arrived.

Tag: Zedd-Vega

26. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Paul Muad'Dib

The Fremen's eyes snapped open. Paul's daily meditation had been interrupted once already, when he been brought to this place. His mentat mind had calculated all possible explanations, with truth being the simplest and easiest answer. This was real, no agony-induced vision.

"I am Connor McCleod," came another voice. That was an old name, indeed.

Paul felt the need to introduce himself tugging at his mind, and after seconds of contemplation, spoke aloud.

"Well met, Connor McLeod. I am called Paul Muad'Dib. I do not know who the third amongst us is, though. From where do you come?"

Paul lifted a catchtube to his mouth, and sipped at his water. He slipped the tube beneath his cloak, and checked his maula pistol. Still loaded. He had no need to check the crysknife, and would not.

Tag: Highlander, Marcus, others

27. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    Marcus:

Marcus knew someone was there and another person had spoken but he had replied to Connor."My name is Marcus Fenix, I work for a military organization called COG."

TAGE: Ptolemy7

28. Ptolemy7

Mar 11, 2006

"Well met, Connor McLeod. I am called Paul Muad'Dib. I do not know who the third amongst us is, though. From where do you come?"

"My name is Marcus Fenix, I work for a military organization called COG."

Connor slowly nodded. "Greetings, mah lads. Ah hail frae Scotland, by way of New York. Do ye ken New York?" He readjusted his stance slightly, hardly daring to hope that no one here actually knew he was. How long had he lived in fear? Too long. Far, far too long. Connor sighed. He didn't measure time in years anymore. He measured time in blood. And he had still lived far too long.

TAG: Muad'Dib, Marcus, others.

29. War_Hero

Nov 17, 2006
    IC: Marcus

"I am actually stationed on a planet called Sera. I fought aliens called Locusts, massive blood bath if you ask me."

TAG: All

30. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Paul

Paul stood, and stared at the place behind the bars - the hall. Extensive muscle and nerve training, from his mother Jessica, gave him superhuman abilities. Such as the famed Prana Bindu training.

Paul saw himself in the hallway, and in seconds, he was.

"Connor - which cell are you in?"

Tag: Connor

31. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    OOC: I am hoping for a few more players (10 total including ourselves) to at least begin the tournament.

If you are up to it, I could allow two characters per person and extend the number of entrants to about 16. After all, it is double-elimination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.