main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, it's not the same. You need to stick around for a while more before you go off disappearing again.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll try. But no guarantees, I might be going lesson plan crazy again before long.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a way to deal with that.

[​IMG]

ma_petite likes this.
  4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Eh, I'll pass.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Fine. I'll take his.

ma_petite likes this.
  6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I feel ya, R...J. Have we talked work recently? [face_beatup]

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Given that we really haven't talked in a while, no.

Its finals week now so its been a grading frenzy. Almost over...

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I've been debating starting a new Lance Armstrong doping thread but yet to find the time and energy to do so.

One question question has come to mind, though, with respect to the Oprah interview: isn't it self evident that he confessed to doping in the interview? If he didn't, then what the hell did they talk about for 2.5 hours???

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Check your inbox tonight.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Bees, perhaps?:

[​IMG]

Seriously, we'll have to wait to read somebody's account of the interview, because there's no value in watching it.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Kind of a fun graphic of MLS Cup vs. The Super Bowl:

[​IMG]

Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    In news probably no one but Obi Anne and I follow, the Alpine Ski World Championships got underway today in Schladming, Austria (just down the Autobahn from me in Salzburg) with Women's Super-G. Bad start, unfortunately, with Lindsey Vonn crashing badly, they are transporting her off with the helicopter right now. Co-favorite Tina Maze is leading, not clear if they'll continue.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I heard they postponed the events, with no word on when or if they'll resume. Latest word is that it's Vonn's knee that's injured.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This year February is the skiing world championships month, it's also unfortunately the month where I hardly spend any time in my office so it doesn't help that Swedish TV is broadcasting everything online. On the other hand I'm ending the month with going to Val di Fiemme for the World championships in nordic skiing, so I will get to see some events live.

I missed the Super-G today, and I'm not sure I want to see live pictures of Vonn's crasch, my knees hurt just by watching the stills. She has seemed unbalanced most of the season and it's really sad that she ends her season with injuries. It also probably means that Tina Maze will win bascially everything, except the slalom. I like Maze, but it's always nice with competition.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Maze was tremendous (as she has been in almost every race in every discipline this year), which put alot of pressure on Vonn, who tends to ski very aggressively anyway. Between the extensive delays and the fog that was rolling back in, conditions were definitely less than optimal.

As for Vonn, she tore her ACL and MCL and a lateral tibial plateau fracture. The worst is the ACl, according to a team doctor, it will be be 8 months or so until she's back on skis. She should be back in time for the Sochi Olympics.

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    She made a statement that she will be back in time for Sochi, and I think she'll make it. Maybe not in the best shape, but I think she'll make it.

And Ligety wins the men's super-G, so that puts him in a good spot to be the king of the championships.

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I've skied Schladming, btw. The final hang is rather steep, amazed how the men's slalom skiers fly down it. Since it's at the bottom of the hill, the snow is usually pretty soft, combining that with the steepness left me exhausted.

That was a great run by Ligety. Like most I assumed Svindall would win. The men's GS should be a great race, with both Ligety and Marcel Hirscher (who now basically has to single-handedly salvage Austria's honor) at peak form.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And Hirscher is of course the big favorite for the men's slalom, I think the only thing standing between him and the gold is his capability to handle the pressure.

And biathlon championships started today with the mixed relay. It was quite exciting up to the end, but not exactly surprising that Norway won, even if I rooted for France. Germany was my biggest disappointment, they should be able to get a lot higher up in the results.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    People here are so certain Hirscher will win the slalom that I'm kind of hoping he straddles the first gate just to shut everyone up. I think the Austrian TV commentators would all simultaneously go into cardiac arrest. I actually really liek Hirscher, his second run in Kitzbühel was incredible. But he takes alot of risks, so that the occasional DQ/DNF is bound to happen.

Hadn't followed the Biathlon so much, really pushed to the background here in Austria, and even in Germany it's not covered as much with Neuner's retirement. They seem to have had a very good generation with a mediocre one following it.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Downhill portion of the women's combined just finished, Maze tied for the lead. Hard to see her not taking her second gold unless she makes a major mistake in the slalom.

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Wow, Ligety just won his second gold of the championships, in the combined. HIs best event, the GS, is still to come!!!

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    nordic skiing is messing up my chances of watching alpine skiing. Well tomorrow's meeting is at 17 so I hope that I'll be able to at least see the end of the team event, where I think Sweden has a pretty good chance. We've had Swedish skiers going quite far in all the parallell events so far this winter.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't like the move. It's been part of the Olympics forever, and has a large number of countries participating in the event. I understand the lack of gender equality, but it's not a good move.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus there's the whole nepotism issue in the fact that the Pentathlon got saved over wrestling.

Twitter and various other places have completely blown up about it and there's at least two change.org petitions that have cropped up demanding to keep it.