main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    what a shame that the royals have turned into such a downtrodden team. they were always among the best from 1975-86 or so (two pennants, one world series title and a bunch of division titles)..

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I know. It's too bad. But that's kind of what happens when teams with the most money start hijacking the league. Small market teams just can't compete. What are you supposed to do when every time you get a Johnny Damon, he gets bought?

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The Royals used to be who we were farmed for. The Memphis Chicks. Now it's the St. Louis Cardinals.

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    or Carlos Beltran.

it's no coincidence that the fortunes of the royals started going downhill right when salaries started exploding.

the one fly in the ointment with that is that the marlins managed to make a run for the postseason with a total payroll of about $17 million, or less than A-Rod's single season salary this year. Oakland won their division, and of course the Twins have been tremedously successful since 2002.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Bret Saberhagen played his high school ball at my alma matter.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeaaah.... I a lot of folks around here have turned into Cards fans in the last 10 years or so. Ironic, considering the whole I-40 Series was not that long ago.

Still, you'd be surprised at some of the loyal Royals fans around here. I had a friend in high school who went to about half the home games. That kid really believed. Me, I don't even own any Royals stuff. I have a Monarchs shirt and a Monarchs hat, though :p But I've never been a pro baseball fan anyway.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    *comes in from diving*

I definately need something to drink and to eat. After diving training I'm always so hungry, thirsty and tired. *takes a wonderful looking sandwich*

Have you done sport lately? Active or passive? ;)

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have played tons of sports, but I haven't played any of them in a couple years. The only thing I do now is swimming on my own a couple times a week.

Unless you count being part of "the 12th man" at Chiefs games. LJ may have had over 300 yards this week, but I spent 6 hours standing up, screaming, and beating on things. I think that counts as a sport because it was pretty exhausting :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think that counts as a sport because it was pretty exhausting

that's for damn sure :p.

are you like me, in that you become almost a different person when you're at a game like that?

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I think most people become very different at sporting events. I definitely do.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    i'm generally not the type to yell out stuff, get very outwardly emotional or super-enthusiastic about stuff. with sports though, that all changes.

given the makeup of at least some of the high school game crowd, i don't shout out some of what i might be inclined to otherwise, but i still make my feelings known :p.

this reminds me of a fan from one of the big games last year, who, during the pregame announcement stuff shouted out something i'll always remember. "the schools and players are rivals, not enemies, and-- "THEY ARE THE ENEMY!" from a few rows above me :p.

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    But colors don't exist...

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I'm very loud and intense when at games... but I'm intense all the time :p My friends aren't surprised at all at how much I get into games. I have an obsessive personality, they know that.

My mom, however, is pretty tame most the time, but out of her mind at games. It's very amusing.

Is it just at Arrowhead, or is it everywhere that people in the Club level are LAME? One game my dad had won some tickets in Club, so we decided to go up from our normal seats and check it out for part of the game. Everyone was eating, sitting, watching... no one was cheering! We are lower deck people. We stand the whole game and we are very loud. These Club yuppies were looking at us like we were nuts when we cheered.

As I told my family, these people have it all wrong. You don't pay to go to a game and watch. You pay to go to a game and play.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, I'm very loud and intense when at games... but I'm intense all the time My friends aren't surprised at all at how much I get into games.

i'm often rather intense, but sports is probably the best outlet i have for it. in hindsight, i wish i had played sports in high school. the best kind of game is being with your friends, or at least people you know. of course, the biggest of games have a way of turning strangers into new best friends :p.

As I told my family, these people have it all wrong. You don't pay to go to a game and watch. You pay to go to a game and play.

that reminds me of jerry colangelo, the former managing partner of the diamondbacks, who sat among the fans during the world series, and both he and his wife were very exuberant in their cheering during the climatic moments of Game 7 in 2001.

he was never one for the owner's box. same thing for robert sarver of the suns, who sits right at midcourt during the suns games.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I cheer loud when I'm at home.

But really, I'm too poor to go to a game.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    he was never one for the owner's box. same thing for robert sarver of the suns, who sits right at midcourt during the suns games.

Can I reasonably presume, then, that you have no problems with Mark Cuban?

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    We are lower deck people. We stand the whole game and we are very loud.

Yep. Thats what I love about our student section (and probably every other semi-decent student section in the country), because there is no sitting down. At least not if you want to see anything. Halftime, you can sit, an hour before kickoff, you can sit, and MAYBE - depending on the game - between quarters and a timeout or two, depending on the situation. If its a close game, then you stand during timeouts. So different from the club level (where my parents have seats, and most people there, excepting my parents and a few others, are the type you described.

Can I reasonably presume, then, that you have no problems with Mark Cuban?

LOL! Thats the good thing about Cuban, is that he cares. Which is a lot more than most owners can say.

18. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Cuban's passion is certainly his forte. Sometimes, though, he gets carried away. Like a few years ago when a fight broke out during the game and Cuban rushed the court along with his players. That was kinda foolish...cool, but foolish.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Cuban's passion is certainly his forte. Sometimes, though, he gets carried away. Like a few years ago when a fight broke out during the game and Cuban rushed the court along with his players. That was kinda foolish...cool, but foolish.

Oh, I definitely agree with that. I like Cuban's energy and passion, but he definitely can take it too far sometimes. Then again, he can also provide a good laugh or two from time to time.

20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You're lucky you put the 12th Man in quotes there, solojones. A&M wins every lawsuit brought up over the rights to that. I do find it amusing that there is currenlty a huge war between Aggies and Seahawks fans going on in their forum boards. Its amusing to read some of the posts. Some of the Aggies are trying to make them look worse now by getting them to use the phrase "Wrecking Crew" as well.
    Rivalry between a college and a pro sports team = [face_laugh]

The true 12th Man does not sit during the game. We possibly sit 2 minutes of halftime, but if our band it out there we do not sit and if the Aggie football players come out to warm up we do not sit. So most of the time it is just easier to stay standing.
    I have a question for other stadiums: On our first deck, the bleachers are very wobbley and it is a balancing act to stay standing for the entire game. Does this happen at other stadiums? Or did we just get crappy supports?

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Our bleachers may not be high quality, but they're sturdy enough to support us, and they don't wobble. Which is all that matters.

I've heard some professors (their section is next to the students) complain about the bleachers on that side of the stadium not having backs like the other side, but I think thats a product of being next to the student section. We definitely don't want backs on the seats. At least most of us don't.

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    There would be no point to backs on the seats. Especially since if you are going to jump around and fall off of the bleacher seat its better to fall backwards and no forwards. With the wobbling of ours its turned into a game to see who can get who to fall off. Basically if you center your weight on the front of the bleacher you are find, but guys who have big feet tend to have to stand with their weight towards the back and that is when you can just step lightly next to their foot and get them to be off balance and fall off.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Exactly. Except for the making other people fall off part, the only people who fall off usually for us are the ones who are jumping a LOT, particularly after some big play (or before a crucial defensive play), and thats from not jumping straight. And I've definitely been in that category before :p

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I hear you on that one, I'm sure I'm quite the annoying spectator at Mavs and Cowboy games. I tend to lose my sense of respect when it comes to other attendees at the games. I'm a dorky superfan like that. :p

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    When Everton fans are singing, I'm singing, but otherwise I get too nervous to do anything but watch in silence.