main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Do you do that Olay, olay olay song?

2. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    He sings You'll Never Walk Alone.

My favourite footie song in the 12 Days of Cantona. :(

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    * enters *

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/gotwarts/Kramer_entrance.gif]

Hello!

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/zmobie/thats_racist.gif]

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] Agreed! ;)

It's not that I become a different person, but the atmosphare gets me and I get much more excited in comparision when I watch it on the TV. Actually I don't watch sports on TV that often, it's too boring for me.
    The only exception to this was the soccer/football WC in Germany this year. When the German team get through the preliminary round, I wanted to watch it on TV - and you have to know that I'm not a big football fan. ;)

The same happened with the football WC of the people with intellectual disability. The final was thrilling. It was unbelieveable.

Did anyone of you watch this football WC of the people with intellectual disability? :)

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Although I've been to plenty of Dodger games in which the crowd was really into it/passionate, there has never been any singing (other than Take Me Out to the Ballgame of course :p ), unless you want to count chants as singing.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It should be noted that probably the greatest thing in the world is being inside Goodison when Everton are winning handsomely. Over 35,000 people of a like mind, singing their hearts out. :cool:

Ahhh, makes me go all tingly just thinking about it!

Obviously we sing even when Everton aren't winning, too, but the security of knowing the other lot won't soon be replying with a chorus of "You only sing when you're winning" makes it extra special.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    We usually sit in grandstands at the AFL or cricket, so no jumping up and down, but I do get fairly animated in the stands :)

I especially enjoy going to the Showdowns (derby games). Amazing atmosphere.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been to one baseball game in my life. There's definitely a different atmosphere compared to watching on TV.

So how much do you think Vick is going to get fined for his post game antics today?

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I remember when former Kentucky QB Jared Lorenzen (aka Pillsbury Throwboy, Fat Boy, etc.) flipped off the South Carolina student section in front of the cameras... quite hilarious. Nothing happened to him, though.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The damn baseball offseason lasts to long. It's not even December yet, and I'm already got the MLB itch. :p

12. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I know what you mean, can't wait for the season to start either. The Giants are finally starting to talk to people, Manny Ramirez, who they almost definitely won't get, Dave Roberts, who's fairly old, and Rich Aurillia, who didn't put up great numbers last year. Though I'd love to see Manny on the Giants. At least they're trying.

13. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Somehow the talk about baseball offseason reminds me on my fathers excuses for watching all football/soccer: "It's just the [competition]. It's only every [number] years." But weirdly some kind of football/soccer competition, that's just every n years, is every year without no pause... :p

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We definitely stand the whole time. The best thing about our 12th man is that it's for an NFL team. There's a reason Arrowhead has a reputation for being tough to play at, guys. Besides domes (which don't count :p), it's definitely the loudest stadium in the NFL.

I'm sometimes astonished at other NFL team fans in their stadiums. Rams fans? Lame. You're not at the mall. Change out of your khakis and stop shopping! And I was once at a Chiefs game in Minnesota where the 10,000 Chiefs fans were louder than the 45,000+ Vikings fans [face_laugh]

Another thing I love about our section at Arrowhead is that it's generally filled with good, smart fans. The kind who know the players, the teams, the game, and pay attention the whole time. Drinking is ok, but getting smashed is useless. That's why the upper deck isn't nearly as fun (or safe, for that matter).

The people who sit around us have also had their season tickets about as long as we have (15 years or so), and it's really great to see them every other week. It's funny because once in a while we've run into our "neighbors" outside the stadium and it's like, "Wait, Ken... you're not supposed to be out here!"

Anyone else have season tickets to a sport for a long time and know what I'm talking about?

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    based on the first several home games this year, the cardinals new stadium looks to be a potentially intimidating place to play, should there ever be an actual good team there, and an extremely loud one. a lot of fans and NFL people alike have praised it, and also commented on how loud it is.

i'd like to be there when the roof is open.

"Wait, Ken... you're not supposed to be out here!"

like they dematerialize as soon as the game is over and the stands empty :p.

my family had two season tickets to cardinals games for several years, including the one playoff year of 1998. though i didn't go to any games that year (sun devil stadium in august is truly an ordeal), i know it was good times for that brief period.

we should have gotten season tickets for ASU in 1996 and 1997. that would have been something.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, the new stadium does look nice. I'm so pissed off that some of the voters in KC didn't vote to approve a retractable roof for Arrowhead. They didn't want to use it much (only when the snow wouldn't give them an advantage ;)). It was mostly needed because had we done it, we would have gotten the Superbowl in 2012. Now who knows if we'll ever get one :mad:

I cannot even imagine how loud Arrowhead would be with a roof...

Of course! They're just part of the stadium :p

It's really a cool thing, though. There's Ken and Linda, Pat, Charles and Chaquita, and The People On the Right... we didn't talk to them until this year. It's weird, sitting next to them for like 10 years and never talking to them. I don't know why we didn't...

But yeah, we've considered inviting the whole gang over to watch an away game on our 65" HDTV sometime. That would be really sureal, to have the Arrowhead gang in our basement, but I think it would be cool :D

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'd love to get a big screen tv like that in the future when I have my own place

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It was mostly needed because had we done it, we would have gotten the Superbowl in 2012. Now who knows if we'll ever get one

If the Chiefs aren't in the Super Bowl in 2012 (or after that), why would it really matter? Is Kansas City really in dire need of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ a Super Bowl would bring in?

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Forgive Tunick, he's a bitter ex-Raiders fan. ;)

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    :mad:

lost to the knicks

:mad:

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Frankly, yeah. It would bring in tons of revenue that the city never, ever gets. It's not like Kansas City is exactly a tourist destination. Pretty much the only thing people come for are football games (and NASCAR on the Kansas side, but most of those people stay out by the track). It would be really good for the KC economy.

Plus, it would just be a really good place for a Super Bowl. It's a fantastic stadium design and atmosphere for a game.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Shouldn't the mayor, city council & governor of Missouri think/come up with other ways of getting revune to Kansas City, since it's apparent the Super Bowl won't be coming to town?

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I mean, they've tried. The new Sprint Center downtown will house our Arena team, and possibly an NHL team. They'd really like to get an NBA team, but right now they basically have an expensive, lovely Arena with no one to play there. Getting an NBA team would be my #1 hope for that, but it's hard to convince any sports teams to move there since it's a small market. The only reason we've kept the Chiefs and Royals is because of team history and extreme fan loyalty for the Chiefs.

And other things they've done in the city like the Negro Leagues Museum and Hall of Fame, renovating Union Station, the country's official WWI Memorial... well they're nice for people in the city, but they don't really attract anyone from outside.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If it means anything to you, I would visit those places, except for Union Station; I've been to one here in L.A., and I can't imagine that much of a difference between the two. :p Shouldn't the building of the Sprint Center have happend after the securement of an NHL or NBA franchise?

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You, and other people, would visit them if they happened to be in town for some big reason like a Super Bowl. But barely anyone is going to take a vacation to Kansas City. You have to draw them with a big event first.

I don't know about the logic behind the Sprint Center. It seems like there was more firm understanding with those leagues, and maybe it's just not settled yet. I hope.