Arena The Arena Social Thread is Talking about teh BAN RAZOR?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    @s65horsey That much closer to a Triple Crown!

s65horsey and Juliet316 like this.
  2. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    The dogecoin car won the fan vote and will race in the NASCAR all-star race tonight.
  3. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    So, with the Kings OT-clincher in Chicago tonight, the 2014 Stanley Cup Final is set: L.A. vs. New York! First time this has happened (in the championship round) in either of the 4 major North American sports since the '81 World Series (Dodgers/Yankees). :D This series should be great theater, and even though it's not Lakers/Knicks in The Finals or Dodgers/Yankees in a World Series, at least there'll be one L.A./NY final in my lifetime. Weeeeeeeee.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jun 1, 2014
    Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Some of Barry Melrose's suits should be considered a crime against humanity.
  5. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    He's got great hair, though.
  6. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    @heels1785, @dp4m

There are many reasons as to why I'm excited about this upcoming Rangers/Kings Stanley Cup Final, one of which being the merits of L.A. as a hockey town, and by extension, a sports town... or at least that's how I want to see the points the both of you made in the NHL thread (hence why I'm bringing up that discussion here, as opposed to bogging down that thread with this; you'll have to excuse me a bit if I get annoying about this- we may not get another L.A. vs. New York final, in any sport, for another 30+ years!).

1) What's there to be proud of exactly about tickets at MSG for this series going upwards in the $900-$1000 range? So hideously over-priced, circumstances & the free market being what is be damned. :p

2) [IMG]

Sure, the difference is only 1,011 fans, but still... shouldn't the Rangers be above the Kings on that list?! Just because L.A. isn't a "hot bed" of hockey like New York (and especially Chicago, Boston, Detroit & Pittsburgh in respect to U.S. NHL fandom- any Canadian city goes without saying, obviously) doesn't mean we're a terrible, or a lacking hockey town. Sure, on the L.A. sports totem pole (even with this current run & their most recent successes) the Kings are below the Lakers, (USC football/UCLA basketball), and the Dodgers, but that doesn't mean there isn't a significant contingent of hockey crazed fans.

3) To the larger, more broad point of the difference in sports culture between L.A. and the East/Midwest: Why do we here in La La Land (and by extension the entire West Coast) have to be held to your standard? Why is the whole 'the East/Midwest is where the real fans are at!' even a thing? Just because we go about it a bit differently out here doesn't mean it's any less significant/any "less real". Besides, fickle fans, bandwagoning (and things of that nature) occur everywhere.

4) Man, if I'm this "worked up" about this sort of thing over this series, how would I react/be like in the event a Knicks/Lakers Finals or a Yankees/Dodgers World Series (since I obviously care a hell of lot more about baseball & basketball than I do about hockey)? :p I would love to find out.
    heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I'll do my best here, Tunes.

1) There's nothing to be proud of, New York is hideously expensive in all aspects. One short visit there taught me all I needed to know.

2) The Kings have become HUGE over the last few years. A mixture of the incredible success Darryl Sutter has had there, the talent they've brought in, and the celebrity support at just about every game (my favorite, of course, is Arrow himself, Stephen Amell). I think any finals game, in just about any sport outside of possibly MLS is going to draw huge numbers. And even MLS does when the Galaxy are involved. LA is by no means a hockey town, and I don't mean to make generalizations about your own town, but with the incredible success of the three California teams (Ducks, Kings, Sharks), at least in the regular season, the state really has a lot going for it with the NHL.

3) Colin Cowherd and the Worldwide Leader say so. :p

4) I would love to see Yanks-Dodgers, you know my obsession with baseball on the radio - how about the GREAT Vin Scully vs. the GREAT John Sterling. My head might explode. My speakers certainly would.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    1) I'm glad we can agree there; I've never traveled to NYC before, but it's something that's on my bucket list.

2) I know you didn't mean to make generalizations about La La Land... I just can't help to think about the broader L.A. culture anyway under a circumstance such as this, since my geekiness about La La Land extends far beyond the realm of sports; Hell, I used to watch of the local city channel 35 (city council meetings, fluff pieces about different areas of the city, that sort of thing) back in the day for goodness sake. :p

3) They aren't the sole arbiter of about that, even if they think of themselves that way. :p

4) Just having the Dodgers in a Series (can that please happen at least once in my goddamn life, please?!) against any opponent would be almost too much for me to handle.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jun 3, 2014
    heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
  10. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
  11. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I think Rick Reilly is an annoying bag of ass most of the time. However, this was pretty cool - he wrote his own obit, which I will share:

Now that I'm dead, I'd like to discuss my funeral.

First off, I want chili cheeseburgers. And Guinness. And the Phoenix Suns Gorilla. Love that ape.

I'd like my final rankings to be on big posters hanging on the walls. So you can read them from the seats. Like so:

NICEST PEOPLE: 1. Steph Curry, 2. Jim Nantz, 3. That bald guy with the mushroom-cloud ear hair who always comes up to me and tells me how much he loved my last column even though Mitch Albom usually wrote it.

BIGGEST JERKS: 1. Barry Bonds, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Robert "Arliss" Wuhl, 4. Barry Bonds, 5. Jay Cutler.

MOST FUN: 1. Charles Barkley, 2. George Clooney, 3. David Feherty.

LARGEST REGRETS: 1. Believed Lance Armstrong, 2. Didn't believe Jose Canseco, 3. Sold all my Apple at 125.

BEST PRESIDENTS: 1. Clinton (18 holes, sugary rules), 2. Obama (well-prepared fantasy football partner), 3. Ford (kindly, though he stepped on my foot), 4. Bush 41 (very fast, very bad golfer), 5. Carter (wouldn't let go of my wife even though the photo was already snapped.)

Up on the altar, there will be a bottle of my favorite scotch, The Macallan, for every year I've been alive. Each person will come up to the stage and take a shot from the year they met me, then smash the glass.

If you don't drink, we probably never met.

I've taken the liberty of writing my own obit. I don't want to leave it up to some obit writer who's just had a fight with his wife and has a bottle of Smirnoff in the middle drawer. If you'll please just send it to the papers and the websites and whatnot:

RICK REILLY, 56, sportswriter, died this week. He probably had it coming.

Reilly published or posted over 2 million words in his 37-year career. You don't even want to know how many he wrote and killed.

Reilly tried to write the truth. He might not have always done it, but he tried. He also tried to make it all add up to something that might mean something to people.

What was strange about Reilly as a sportswriter was that his columns often had very little sports in them. They were often about people's lives, their struggles and their victories, most of it off the field. He leaned toward human interest stories, perhaps to a fault. "Every week I read your column," the comedian Bill Scheft once told him, "just to see what body part will be missing."

Reilly covered every major sporting event except the Indy 500 and every minor one, including the World Sauna Championship, in which he placed 103rd. He made it to over 100 countries and every state but North Dakota.

He became passable at golf, mediocre at piano, and knew just enough magic to annoy people. He had a TV series -- "Missing Links -- that lasted one episode. He had his own ESPN interview show - "Homecoming" -- that lasted 15.

Desperate for a column one week in 2006, he invented a foundation to protect African kids from malaria called Nothing But Nets, which has raised almost $50 million to date.

The son of an alcoholic, he made his own way. He could've done better. He could've done worse. His main deal was trying to write sentences nobody had ever read before. Also, he never was on one of those everybody-yells shows.

He saw the Northern Lights. He ran with the bulls. He saw the best humans could be and the worst, and that included himself.

Oh, and he once took $5 off Arnold Palmer on the golf course.

After the church service (30 minute limit!), we'll drive up to the graveyard in monster trucks. I've arranged for junk cars to be parked along the way -- marked with a giant orange X. Every griever for himself. You're welcome.

After my caddy says a few nice words, such as, "He had a loop in his backswing you could drive a Mack truck through, but at least he tipped OK," everybody can bring one item to throw down into the grave, depending on whether you were fan or foe.

A few items I'd like to see thrown in:

*My 7-Eleven smock. I worked there for one week before I got my first writing gig. I have also been a grocery bagger, rental-shop clerk, lawn mower, book packer, parking hut attendant, flower deliverer, bank teller, gas jockey, and car washer. Got fired at most of them. I kept the smock to remind myself that writing is all I can do.

*My 100-plus photo collection of people choking me, including Michael Phelps underwater. Made for funny pictures, except for the time Eli Manning didn't realize it was supposed to be a joke.

*It'd be funny if Tiger Woods was there to shovel dirt on me, since I've shoveled so much on him.

It'd be damned considerate if my wife -- The Lovely Cynthia -- lost it at some point and dove on top of the casket as it's being lowered. But by then I figure she'll be too busy fending off advances from my single buddies. Or not fending them off. I can't blame either of them. Then I'd like to leave this note for my kids: "Sorry I spent your inheritance. Love you. Hope you have as much fun as I did."

Lastly, I want the tombstone to say:

Here lies Rick Reilly

1958-2014

Tried to write well

P.S. (I bet my buddy Two Down O'Connor, The World's Most Avid Golf Gambler, $100 that I'd break par before I died and I never did. So he's going to come up and pretend to sob over my coffin, but he's really going to be looking for the $100 bill I left inside the left breast pocket of my black blazer. Please make sure I'm wearing the blue pinstripe.)
    xblackout and DarthTunick like this.
  12. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    36 years of a Triple Crown drought is up for grabs tomorrow!

Go California Chrome!
    heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  13. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Over 120K estimated at Belmont today. Incredible. This will be awesome if CC can do it.
  14. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  15. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    All that hype, over and out.
  16. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Which comes first? A major sports title in Cleveland, or a Triple Crown winner?
  17. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The NFL's return here to Los Angeles.
  18. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Triple Crown. God hates Cleveland.
  19. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    No. God mocks Cleveland. S/he clearly cannot hate that which gives such entertainment.
    Last edited by DarthIntegral, Jun 7, 2014
    xblackout likes this.
  20. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Amy Van Dyken, who won 6 golds in the pool for the US in Atlanta and Sydney, was apparently in a horrific ATV accident this weekend and severed her spine. She used to host a show on Fox Sports Radio with Rob Dibble as well, that was where I most recently heard her.
  21. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
  22. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    [IMG]

"Those Hockeywood Nights, in those Hockeywood Hills..."
  23. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

language!

And there you have it, with such a thrilling, thrilling 2-OT win, the Kings once again win the most special & unique trophy in all of North American sports. This city, even though it's the Kings 2nd Cup in the last 3 years, deserves such a happy/great moment such as this; with all that's bad & wrong about life out there (and there's a lot of that), it's so nice to have a welcomed respite.
  24. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Olbermann is in the middle of a BRILLIANT opening on OJ Simpson. Check it out on the replay if possible, I'll post tomorrow.

His show really has become reliably high quality.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  25. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Those were excellent, excellent points he made, in particular A) his complicity as being part of that L.A. media cover-up machine of the late 80's and B) the only real benefit of the 24/7 TMZ-ish culture is that another O.J.-ish case wouldn't be possible today, the cover-up aspect anyhow.