main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I really doubt it can be that difficult to actually read under 90% of style sheets used here on the JC. When the banner/style sheet calls for me to change colors, I do (most of the time :p ).

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Jason Whitlocks comment on Lin for the Knicks is soooo wrong. His excuse "not even an apology" was super lame.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jason-whitlock-apologizes-unfunny-jeremy-lin-twitter-145934497.html

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm glad that I stopped reading Whitlock years ago, before he left ESPN.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm glad I never started reading Whitlock.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Went mini golfing after the Laker game last night, and kept seeing a rabbit running around.

[image=http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p530/AWT32/BUNNY.jpg]

:p

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Montoya with the crash of the year.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Since some of you aren't on Facebook or belong to the Members of TheForce.Net group, I'm going re-post (verbatim) this message I posted there yesterday. I apologize for redundancy for those who may have already read it.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it will be for the last time. Today marks the beginning of the exact anniversary (since 2008 was a leap year such as this) of when I had my episode of mental breakdown/temporary amnesia. It was a 3-day "event", that included somethings I can look back & laugh (sneaking onto the Universal Studios backlot), other things though (the complete break from reality I had, being close to death) cause great pain when I think about it. I had hoped I could get through this week without rehasing the events (that I can remember) through my mind, but it seems that I can't since it's exactly 4 years since all this happened. Regardless of the on going process in getting better/the fear I have that it may happen again, I do take stock of all the positive/good I still have in my life.......which very much includes being a part of this community. Some of you I know quite well, others not so much, and some I don't know at all. Regardless, I do appreciate putting up with me, since I know I'm not the most likeable/sociable person around. I apologize if all of this sounds like too much self pity, but I felt I wanted to say this at least one more time.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    All is well in the world again. :cool:

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    See subject of this post

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The NCAA bias of The Arena strikes again. :p

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Don't worry, Tunick, your font doesn't make my eyes bleed. :)

Now this banner, on the other hand... [face_sick]

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    At this point, I'm willing to send $10 in the mail to anyone who can get this banner down.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    In honour of the next big world sporting event.

Which is not March Madness, sorry Americans.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks Marcus.

Man, I love the Olympics. This banner always brings back good memories of the basketball gold medal vs. Spain and the amazing swim relay come-from-behind.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was wondering when you were going to change the banner, Marcus. :p

I'm really excited for the Olympics. I didn't get to watch much of the '08 games, but I caught some great moments, including some of the swimming finals.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I really don't care much for the Olympics.............most of the sports I find odd that people like to watch, and I just can't find it in me to really feel compelled to watch even the basketball portion of it. I do, however, very much enjoy watching the Opening Ceremony for any Olympic Games.................that's incredibly awesome to watch/it really doesn't get much better than that. Of course, that (the negative stuff I posted) being said...............

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3b/Los_Angeles1932_logo.png/200px-Los_Angeles1932_logo.png]
    [image=http://search.fei.org/olympics/photos/OGPhotos/Olympic%20Games_1932/b_AAAGM041.jpg]
    [image=http://www.currybet.net/images/articles/2008/olympic_dissent/1984_olympic-logo.jpg]
    [image=http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000pPWdaJD.Suo/s/750/750/1984-opening-ceremony-05.jpg]

There is something to be said (just ask any of our London based JC'ers this summer) to be in a city (specifically a resident) when an Olympic Games are being held. I've asked my mother & father about this (the had yet to meet in 1984; my father was part of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department security detail for the Olympic Games), and they mentioned (aside from traffic being such a breeze during the Games, oddly enough :p ) just how insanely exciting (even with the Soviet boycott) it was here in L.A. for the '84 Games. If another Olympics were to be held here (doubtful, but you never know) before I pass away, I would be really, really excited/prideful for it. And, though I've yet to have gone to the L.A. Coliseum during my life so far, were I to do so (regardless of the event), I'd have a chill or 2 down my spine just thinking about how 2 Olympic Games went through there.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Armen, even if you don't follow the Olympics closely, it's a matter of national pride for the citizens in every country that is involved in it. It's a healthy competition, and it's not like it's a pissing contest, all the athletes, in most cases, respect each other.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I understand that very well, Juli.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. I'd watch the US competitive sewing team if they showed it on TV. :p

Oh, and Tunick - completely agree about opening ceremonies. My favorite remains Ali in 96.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm an Olympics junkie. At various times during the Summer and Winter Olympics I have watched:
    Handball
    Indoor volleyball
    Curling
    Table tennis
    Biathlon
    Synchronized swimming
    Fencing

These sports are boring as hell normally (maybe not the first two) but during the Olympics I eat that **** up. Something about the national and personal pride on the line makes it awesome.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    QFT.

Indoor volleyball can be a lot of fun to watch, especially when the players are top-level athletes. I've never really gotten into handball, but I did watch some of the 2010 club world championships (or something like that) when I was in Tunisia. It got pretty intense.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I remember watching that, and thinking to myself (even as a 9 year old) "How awesome is this?!". And, this may surprise people, during the '06 Winter Games, I watched some of the Curling events. Was fascinated by it. My biggest gripe with an Olympic sport, though, (since we're on the subject) is the track & field events. I don't get watching people (or automobiles in racing) running around on a track, or running down a line to see how fast they can go. Boring.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I don't like track either, but when the Olympics are on, I can somehow stomach those events. Not the really long-distance ones (10,000 M, anyone?), but the sprints and field events I can tolerate watching.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No, but I love the feeling of "hell yes, another gold medal for my country!" Hence why I will watch just about anything within the Olympics.