main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Favorite new Man Crushes:

1) Arlo White, NBCSN Premier League announcer
    2) Austin Carr, Cleveland Cavaliers color commentator (television)
    3) Eric Reid and Tony Fiorentino, Miami Heat play-by-play/color commentator (television)
    4) Clayton Kershaw (regular season ONLY), SP L.A. Dodgers
    5) Nick "Swaggy P" Young, SG L.A. Lakers
    6) Sign Guy, L.A. Lakers/Staples Center courtside regular

[​IMG]

7) Alec Martinez, Defensemen L.A. Kings

8) The singing of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' by Liverpool fans at Anfield.

9) Christopher Russo's High Heat program on the MLB Network.

10) The ever continuing brilliance of Dodgerfilms.

Favorite moments:

1)

2) Kings winning the Stanley Cup (see the previous list above :p ).
    3) Germany's annihilation of Brazil in their World Cup semi-final match (for the pure shock and the real time reactions on social media because of it).
    4) Hanley Ramirez's walk-off home run (early August, against the Cubs) in my lone trip to Dodger Stadium in 2014.
    5) Damian Lilliard's series-ending buzzer-beater in the playoffs against Houston (take THAT, Dwight!)
    6) LeBron's return to Cleveland (so, not exactly a single moment here, but who the hell cares?)
    7) Richard Sherman's NFC title game post-game interview with Erin Andrews.
    8) Kershaw & Beckett's no-hitters.
    9) The Royals clinching their 1st pennant since '85 on my birthday.
    10) Liverpool/Arsenal from this past Monday.
    11) Clippers elimination in the 2nd round via OKC.
    12) Adios Miami Heat three-peat!
    13) Jeter's walk-off hit in his last ever Yankee Stadium at-bat.

[​IMG]

Least favorite moments:

1) [​IMG]

2) [​IMG]

3) The lack of a deal to get SportsNetLA carried on major cable providers; a whole season of non-access to every Dodger game! [face_plain]

[​IMG]

4) Matt Kemp traded to San Diego.

[​IMG]

Is this real life? AHHHHH, DAMN IT.

5) [​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Darth Tunes - don't miss Olbermann today. Keith had a full two days to prep for his farewell to Stuart Scott, including some of their stuff together from the earliest days of ESPN2. It will be spectacular, while still staggeringly depressing, I'm sure.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Throwing some various tributes from today up for Stuart Scott:

Dan Patrick:

Colin Cowherd with ESPN President John Skipper, and also a story about Stuart enduring terrible racism at the onset of his career:

Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, and Cari Champion, along with live studio audience:

FOX Sports Team:

Robin Roberts and ABC - very special:

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Edit: Here's Keith's tribute, in two vids, including Stuart's first ESPN2 broadcast:

And Mike and Mike:

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Greeny had a real tough time this morning.

Golic jumped in a few times to pick him up when Greeny was choking up talking about Stuart playing with Greeny's daughter. Stuart, like Cris Carter, Schlereth, and Jalen Rose, was an absolute fixture on the show. They loved him.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    UNC also did a lovely tribute to Scott at their basketball game last night.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Inside the NFL did a brief tribute to Stuart Scott on their program tonight.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Courtesy of anonymous LA graffiti artists:

[​IMG]

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

heels1785

Did you catch this yesterday? On point, mostly... it's not all transplants out here. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I hadn't seen that segment - just his evisceration of Penn State. Very interesting, bold to pile on Frontiere after her death, but she was a truly terrible owner.

As always with Keith, 75% of the segment was stuff I didn't know and probably won't remember, but it was still excellent.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I found it somewhat interesting that the anniversary of the '94 quake falls on the same day the announcement was made that the Rams were heading to St. Louis. :p

I'm in 100% agreement with his evisceration of the NCAA/Penn State... it's so despicable that those 100+ wins for Joe "I didn't know nothing!" Paterno are being restored.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I both agree and disagree. The whole thing was beyond what was actually within the scope of the NCAA. Yet, I looked the message that football can't be more important than doing the right thing.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So per Forbes, there are now eleven teams in the NBA that are worth more than $1 billion, a collective increase in value of 72% over the last year. The clubs are, in order of value:

Lakers
    Knicks
    Bulls
    Celtics
    Clippers
    Nets
    Warriors
    Rockets
    Heat
    Mavericks

The interesting club on this list is the Chicago Bulls, who rose 100% in value last year. Not a particularly noteworthy year, out in the first round of the playoffs, were without their most marketable star for yet another year. These owners are really doing something right, and the league is benefiting tremendously from it.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Heels, the silly thing is these values are before the new, ridiculous tv deal. They might partially take that into account, but that will push these teams even further up on value.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Geez. You're right.

I'd be intrigued to see what league is growing faster, the NFL or NBA.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    At least the Lakers will finish this season #1 at something. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Always look on the bright side of life, my friend.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 and mavjade like this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! That was great!
    I saw something online this morning that is starting to measure our snow in Gronks. They said we've had 0.95 Gronks of snow! :p

21. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I saw the Gronk thing too. Its been quite a couple weeks. I am going down to DC this weekend...I may never come back.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

My boy Steven O is already raring in midseason form with his barbs - target, unfortunately, my Vols.

When asked about last season, the HBC said that 7-6 (SC's record) was a "decent year," but noted that "In Knoxville, they're doing cartwheels because they went 7-6 and won a bowl game."

I suppose you open yourself up to criticism when the University President puts this together after going 6-6 and getting an invite to the TaxSlayer Bowl..

Darth Tunes likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    "And the best two-day combination in sports has arrived."

DarthIntegral Opening Night/Opening Day for baseball isn't for another 3+ weeks. :p

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785

I'm certain you're aware of this, but if not...; caught the last 20+ minutes of a showing yesterday- LOVED that it was narrated by Sam Waterston.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    NO I had no idea. That's awesome, all around - thanks Tunes. I'm going to tag my friend and fellow Tar Heel anakinfansince1983 so she knows to keep an eye out for it as well.