main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, and quite frankly, I think Symon would translate well to a late - night show, more so than other Food Network celebrity chefs (Him or Anne Burrell)

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If Guy Fieri never appeared on my tv again, I would be #blessed.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think I could say the same thing about pretty much every celebrity in any medium.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 Olbermann's last show for ESPN (for now :p ) on right now; Kareem's the 1st guest!

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've got it DVR'd, I hope. I'd better.

I think he's going back to MSNBC as part of their Brian Williams overhaul, so he won't be off-air too long.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

For all of ESPN's faults, those 'This Is SportsCenter' ads are always great.

xblackout, heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Whenever I see one of those, I always end up watching the John Clayton Slayer one about 30 times.

Darth Tunes and Juliet316 like this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's impossible to have one favorite, so here are some of my top choices:

Classic.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That Y2K one is so, so Perfect.

Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    One of my faves:

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DarthTunick likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    What's so damn special about the Celtics leprechaun anyway? :p

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Can we have a semi-serious discussion for a bit here?

What are your thoughts on sports bigamy? You know, having a favorite team, but also supporting another team in that same league/division/etc.

Is it never okay? Okay as long as they are in different conferences? Okay as long as you have a clearly-defined tiered system for favoriting? Okay, as long as there's a compelling reason to pick up the second team (i.e. someone you know personally is playing for them, geographical relocation, expansion team where you live but you already have a team, etc).

Thoughts?

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    As long as they aren't sworn enemies (for example, MandaloreYak pulls for both the Eagles and the Redskins - wat), it's okay.

I only have one instance in which it applies to me, college football - I pull for Tennessee (tier 1) and South Carolina (tier 2).

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I used to root for the Yankees on a game-to-game basis for many years, so yes, sports bigamy is okay. :p

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Same conference is okay, same division is less so unless there are extenuating circumstances.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Unless it's a situation with multiple teams in the same sport, in the same city...

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

Pick a team Penny Marshall, pick a team.

:p

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't know, I root for the Jets sometimes. Never the Yankees or Nets though.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I wasn't rooting for them per se, but the Angels were the lesser of the two evils in that '02 World Series against the Giants; I've been watching them more on television since 2014, to get my baseball fix due to the SNLA impasse.

I would only "root" for the Clippers shall they ever play Boston in The Finals; I do tune in, though, to their local broadcasts, for I do enjoy Ralph Lawler's work as a play-by-play announcer.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, what are the acceptable criteria under which you can adopt a second team?

And, Tunes, rooting against a rival is totally different than actively rooting for a second team. I mean, my second-favorite college football team is whoever is playing Michigan ...

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    There's a strong belief to practice sports monogamy in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's very frowned upon if you root for both the Raiders and Niners, or the A's and Giants. I root for both the Raiders and 49ers, but when they play each other it's the 49ers. I would have been a diehard Raiders fan if they did ever move to LA.

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

My criteria:

1) There's little-to-no chance that each team goes head-to-head in the playoffs, especially in a final round. Should that happen, you always go for your original/1st team.

2) Can't pick a team in the same city/region that plays the same sport.

3) A favorite college athlete moves on to a franchise that isn't your franchises' rival.

4) A local college team, even if you don't have any previous affiliations with it, makes a crazy tournament run (an example: if the Cal State Northridge Matadors ever make a serious run in the NCAA tournament, I may forget about my anti-college basketball bias), which hooks you in for a longer period of fandom.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Despite the best efforts of LloydChristmas, I'm not going to post in or read the NFL thread. But ... can anyone confirm if that thread contains a reference to "when Calvin Johnson returns, we'll have to call him Galvatron"? I'm hoping so, otherwise #nerdfail

dp4m?

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sorry, but... #nerdfail :p