main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Would your rather be joyful, all the while laughing at poor sacks like me and dp4m?

Or would you rather watch Bruce Arena's state of perpetual confusion?

cleveland rocks
    bruce arena doesn't

LloydChristmas likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got bit of a bad situation myself tonight: have to leave for work about 45+ minutes into game 1 of D'Backs/Dodgers; hoping my old portable AM radio still works well enough.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Didn't realize the Tribe game was on MLB TV. So it's Tribe on the Radio, and (muted) USMNT game on ESPN2

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    you had yourself quite a night

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    At the end of that night, Cleveland had an 82% chance of advancing to the ALCS and USMNT had an 81% chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

Hello, Darkness, my old friend ...

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

i am really sorry, amigo.

hey, the crew haven't lost a game in two months! that's good, right? almost basketball season!

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This is kind of cool. Today is the fairly rare day where all four Major US Professional Sports Leagues have a game on the same day. Only the `17th time it's happened, though frequency is increasing thanks to changes to how things are scheduled. We have a chance for two more this year, if Cubs-Dodgers goes to 7 games (we shall pray for heart health of our dear friend Tunes that doesn't happen) and if the World Series hits Game 5.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Great things happen in London! :D

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sports Equinox!

And congratulations DarthTunick .

I’m forgoing the Carolina Hurricanes game to watch the World Series opener Tuesday.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The anticipation I have for this World Series is like the feelings I used to have as a kid on Christmas Eve, but only better.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Just wait until it turns into the world's worst anxiety ever when actually watching the games, if you're anything like me In 2014 and 2015 both, I don't think I ever sat down while watching any WS game. Just constant pacing...

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Have some experience with that during certain Laker playoff games (game 7 of the '02 Western Conference Finals; game 7 of the 2010 Finals), but I'm not sure even those can fully prepare me for the emotions for this World Series; two different sets of expectations, past experiences, etc.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    baseball: probably the only sport where watching it you can get more exercise than most of the players.

14. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Golf would like a WORD

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So would NASCAR.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i can't imagine anyone pacing back and forth watching those things, also i don't really consider them sports, but okay.

17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think it's pacing with golf, I think it's the golfers chill in little cars between each hole while spectators either do the same (at home) or stand and walk (in-person)

Disagree on NASCAR exercise, that **** is ridiculously physical!

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know very little about golf but i do know that at least the pros aren't allowed to use carts because there was that big controversy when a disabled player needed to use one a few years back. still yes, it is barely exercise and imo not a sport.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    re: nascar - especially at track temperatures, in the deep south, in a clown suit, in july and august

with hordes of BO-ridden sweaty hillbillies screaming at you

going 200 mph in a death box with 40 other guys on a track banked nearly vertical

that may or may not have mechanical problems that you have to account for either in strength or focus

if that's not a sport, and/or torture, point me in the right direction

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    There's a lot of things that could be classified as not a sport well before golf.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't have any doubts that it's difficult, it just doesn't fit my very narrow definition for what a sport is. :p

edit: this was in response to heels but it could work for golf as well.

22. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Understandable everyone has a different personal view of what qualifies as a "sport". I still have a tough time with anything that has the outcome decided by judges.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, for me the basic rules are that there has to be a ball (or a puck) and a defense. i enjoy a lot of competitions that don't fit this definition but calling them sports just seems arbitrary.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

You're going 200 mph but the car is pretty much doing all the work. So it's just driving in a hot car for like three hours or four hours. There's some endurance required, sure, but it doesn't involve much athleticism.

I've heard all the arguments but nothing can get past the fact that they spend the entire time sitting on their butts while a machine does all the real work.

25. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Usain Bolt would like a WORD

Juliet316 likes this.