main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

@JediVision

:p

2. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh, woops [face_blush].

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It also has one my favorite rants in any sports movie:

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, some Disney films sometimes has that stigma. But, I did like their Million Dollar Arm flick.

Uncle Drew drops into theaters this weekend. Anyone planning on seeing it? I might catch it for a matinee.

After watching a few minutes of the Big3, I feel like watching White Men Can't Jump.

5. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Point Given likes this.
  6. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Did anyone here catch the HBO movie Paterno? I thought it was excellent, especially its portrayal of the two Paterno sons Scott and Jay, which seemed to match exactly to what seemed to be the case in all of the documentary material of the scandal: Scott immediately grasped the immense gravity of the charges and was a voice of reason amongst the Paterno cult, whereas idiot silver spoon jock Jay from square one cared only about his father's reputation. Riley Keough also did a great job portraying the intrepid Sara Ganimm who ended up winning a Pulitzer for her investigative reporting that broke the scandal.

The most chilling thing about the movie for me, though, is how the underlying dynamics of the scandal basically presaged the Trump phenomenon. That is, the chaos that can be wrought by a tribalistic, self-righteous mob and the question of when the cognitive elite of a society have the right and responsibility to overrule the will of the people. (a test which the Penn State Board of Trustees passed and the GOP miserably failed.) What was most chilling of all was, after watching the movie, I watched some footage of the actual Penn State riots in the wake of the Paterno firing. The date of his firing? November 8, 2011.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Uncle Drew has a 67% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The summary of critics' opinions:
    Yeah, I heard it was an extended Pepsi commercial. I still might see it over the weekend or on the 4th of July. If not by then, I'll just wait until it's available on home video.

I might catch an A's game with weekend, as they had a pretty good road trip with an 8-2 record, IIRC.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dear lord please never ever let jointheshorts find out that an extended pepsi commercial has a higher rt score than 75% of the dc extended universe

Diggy , tom, Point Given and 3 others like this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    One baseball movie we've all be criminally underrating in here, likely because it's so different than everything else, is Eight Men Out. It's so good, but in a different way.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    @JoinTheSchwarz

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Only one way forward for the DCEU:

[​IMG]

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That reminds me of the pic below and how it relates to Boogie Cousins during the NBA free agent market. Boogie be like Superman in the pic below, watching all these "Harley Quinn-like" free agents being signed and/or offered contracts, as the "League" sees Boogie as damaged goods.

[​IMG]

So, Boogie leaves the "League" signs up with the Avengers.

[​IMG]

This certainly looks like a super team. It would be insane if Melo ended up with the Warriors, which would give the Dubs bench Andre Iguodala, Melo, and Shaun Livingston and their young players.

[​IMG]

LeBron to LA and the team they currently have formed is looking like the Suicide Squad.

And speaking of the NBA free agency period, I finding more interest in it than the World Cup.

I'm still debating on whether or not to attend the Big3 game in Oakland tonight because of ticket prices. Lower bow is around $60, and second deck is my price range at around $20, but the viewing from the second deck isn't great. I've tried watching some of the Big3 games on TV but still not pulling me in, but maybe attending a game would be different. It will be a game time decision for me as I live about a 12 minute train ride away from the Coliseum.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    forbes has released the most valuable franchises in the world. cowboys lead overall at 4.8 billion (jerrah bought them for 68 mil). 29 of 50 top franchises are nfl. bengals, bills, and lions are only teams not included.

yanks are top baseball, at 4 billion. six mlb teams in top 50. knicks are top nba, at 3.6 billion. eight nba teams in top 50. biggest gainer on list from 2017 is houston rockets, unranked last year/#40 this year and 33% increase in value. biggest drop is the jets (lol dp4m).

internationally, untied/madrid/barca are predictably highest. bayern is in there, arsefest/chelsea are down around the lower nfl franchises.

so you don't have to go through the horse**** slideshow format, here they are with value and % up from last year:

1. Dallas Cowboys, $4.8 billion, 14% (NFL)
    2. Manchester Untied, $4.123 billion, 12% (Soccer)
    3. Real Madrid, $4.09 billion, 14% (Soccer)
    4. Barcelona, $4.064 billion, 12% (Soccer)
    5. New York Yankees, $4 billion, 8% (MLB)
    6. New England Patriots, $3.7 billion, 9% (NFL)
    7. New York Knicks, $3.6 billion, 9% (NBA)
    8. Los Angeles Lakers, $3.3 billion, 10% (NBA)
    8. New York Giants, $3.3 billion, 6% (NFL)
    10. Golden State Warriors, $3.1 billion, 19% (NBA)
    10. Washington Redskins, $3.1 billion, 5% (NFL)
    12. Bayern Munich, $3.063 billion, 13% (Soccer)
    13. San Francisco 49ers, $3.05 billion, 2% (NFL)
    14. Los Angeles Dodgers, $3 billion, 9% (MLB)
    14. Los Angeles Rams, $3 billion, 3% (NFL)
    16. Chicago Cubs, $2.9 billion, 8% (MLB)
    17. San Francisco Giants, $2.85 billion, 8% (MLB)
    17. Chicago Bears, $2.85 billion, 6% (NFL)
    19. Boston Red Sox, $2.8 billion, 4% (MLB)
    19. Houston Texans, $2.8 billion, 8% (NFL)
    21. New York Jets, $2.75 billion, 0% (NFL)
    22. Philadelphia Eagles, $2.65 billion, 6% (NFL)
    23. Chicago Bulls, $2.6 billion, 4% (NBA)
    23. Denver Broncos, $2.6 billion, 8% (NFL)
    25. Miami Dolphins, $2.575 billion, 8% (NFL)
    26. Green Bay Packers, $2.55 billion, 9% (NFL)
    27. Boston Celtics, $2.5 billion, 14% (NBA)
    27. Baltimore Ravens, $2.5 billion, 9% (NFL)
    29. Atlanta Falcons, $2.475 billion, 16% (NFL)
    30. Manchester City, $2.474 billion, 19% (Soccer)
    31. Pittsburgh Steelers, $2.45 billion, 9% (NFL)
    32. Seattle Seahawks, $2.425 billion, 9% (NFL)
    33. Minnesota Vikings, $2.4 billion, 9% (NFL)
    34. Oakland Raiders, $2.38 billion, 13% (NFL)
    35. Indianapolis Colts, $2.375 billion, 9% (NFL)
    36. Brooklyn Nets, $2.3 billion, 28% (NBA)
    36. Carolina Panthers, $2.3 billion, 11% (NFL)
    38. Los Angeles Chargers, $2.275 billion, 9% (NFL)
    39. Arsenal, $2.238 billion, 16% (Soccer)
    40. Houston Rockets, $2.2 billion, 33% (NBA)
    41. Los Angeles Clippers, $2.15 billion, 7% (NBA)
    41. Arizona Cardinals, $2.15 billion, 6% (NFL)
    43. New York Mets, $2.1 billion, 5% (MLB)
    43. Kansas City Chiefs, $2.1 billion, 12% (NFL)
    45. Jacksonville Jaguars, $2.075 billion, 6% (NFL)
    46. Chelsea, $2.062 billion, 12% (Soccer)
    47. Tennessee Titans, $2.05 billion, 2% (NFL)
    48. New Orleans Saints, $2 billion, 14% (NFL)
    49. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, $1.975 billion, 10% (NFL)
    50. Cleveland Browns, $1.95 billion, 5% (NFL)

15. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Knicks baffle me. I'm used to inflated prices for things in NYC but what those tickets go for is insane-- especially when compared to the Nets, which in terms of the product hasn't been THAT much different. And it's amplified in the last few years too, I literally went to a Knicks/Heat playoff game in 2012 for what it would've cost to see them play the Cavs in the regular season last year.

Part of it is likely basketball is super popular rn, and I get MSG is iconic...but still who is dropping that much on the secondary market to watch the Knicks?!

DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Was looking for something to watch on Prime last night and saw this on there and remembered this conversation- turns out it is indeed a much better movie as an adult.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This was ten years ago, today.

Incredible

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Because y'all are my community and some of you aren't on Facebook or haven't connected to me ...

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Probably super cliche but whatever, I love this song and it always makes puts me in a better mood and look at the bright side of life:

21. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    for inty

and you know we've got your back here. just like maverick had iceman's. keep your head up.

[​IMG]

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    @LloydChristmas - Amazon unlimited can't find a song called "Igoudala, oh, blocked by james"

:(

Edit: I feel loved, though:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    heels1785 , LloydChristmas and tom like this.
  24. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    The entire Dr. Horrible soundtrack lmao

DarthIntegral likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    They might sneaky be the best suggestion anyone gave me.