main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I root for the Bengals and Pack, and also Cam Newton.

Bengals are my lifeblood and I rooted for them in person during that crazy 2013 comeback against Green Bay.

The Pack have been my boys since 7-year-old me bought a Brett Favre rookie card at the antique shop and slept with it under my pillow, leading my dad to buy me a giant GB coat for Christmas (that still fits!), and I've developed life-long friendships around the team with several Wisconsin-ites. Also Aaron Rodgers is mine get in line everyone.

I plucked Cam off the waiver wire, called him SuperCam before it was a thing, and he won me 3-straight fantasy titles. Wearing his jersey for SB50.

God this post was self-serving but damn it felt good to type.

COME BACK TO THE NFL THREAD DarthIntegral IT'S ABOUT THE BUCKEYES (certainly not the other team you'd be in there for)

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  2. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I think I might join Inty in discussing things here instead of the NFL thread. <3 you big bro!

Sent from my iHorse

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hopefully after Sunday, things will calm down a bit over there.

Everybody's talking about their Super Bowl memories overthere now, though.:)

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Juliet you're like a genuinely nice person and it just makes me think you're a bot even more

s65horsey and DarthIntegral like this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, I'll be damned.

Tiny Coastal Carolina, which resides about an hour north of me in Conway, SC - just won the College World Series over an incredible University of Arizona team.

[​IMG]

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A baseball title decided during a day game? Lovely.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thank Mother Nature for that one. Last night's game got rained out, and ESPN bumped the title game to ESPNU.

Masses of angry rednecks descended upon the nearest bars in town here, because who can afford ESPNU when you have three child support payments to get to your second cousin by the end of the month? (boo yah)

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Spending time at a house with SNLA has a speakeasy-Ish feeling to it. :p

Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Something I've been thinking about since Tuesday night- will championship teams refuse to go to the White House during the Trump Presidency? I'd like to see that happen.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Big trade news.

[​IMG]

2015 WNBA MVP Delle Donne traded from Chicago to DC for the #2 draft pick and two rotation players.

Even with a high draft pick as compensation, EDD is one of the 2-3 best players in the league, a franchise player in her prime. Outstanding work from the Mystics GM.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Stephanie Dolson, someone else and a high draft pick was Chicago's way.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chicago apparently still has a loaded roster, but this would be like the Thunder trading Russell Westbrook away, or moreso perhaps the Warriors trading away Curry.

Just doesn't happen all that often. The big names tend to move in free agency.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    From what I read, this may be the highest profile trade in the WNBA's 19 year history. I think high draft pick that goes to Chicago will be very valuable to them.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    After last night the Cleveland Browns are no longer sports most hopelessly dysfunctional franchise.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Congrats, coach. Dawn Staley is one of the great representatives of the state of South Carolina.

Bazinga'd and Juliet316 like this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Can we just take a moment and talk about the Baylor Lady Bears performance in their tournament opener?

Not just the gaudy 119-30 score line.

Not just the 13 points given up in the first half.

How about the fact that they scored 34 in the first quarter, and gave up 30 for the entire game?

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Meh; what was their opponent doing in the tournament anyway? For both the Men's & Women's tournaments, I wouldn't mind seeing a change in the future where all the #1 seeds get a 1st round bye.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think they'll even make the Final Four, though. Baylor lost during the season to a WVU team that finished with a losing record in their conference and ultimately got obliterated Sunday night in the tournament by Maryland.

Mississippi State should give them all they can handle.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This is a terrible argument. The worst teams in the tournament still get incredible value from playing, even if they get curbstomped. The exposure for the players, the experience for the school. A tiny school could use a little shot in the arm and get incrementally better.

The example I always point to is the Japanese Women's Soccer Team. World Cup 99 they got thrashed in Group Play to the tune of 10 goals conceded, 1 goal scored. People pointed to them as an example that there weren't enough competitive nations to truly field women's soccer teams, and maybe the World Cup was a farce. In 2003 they were respectable. 2007 they were competitive. In 2011? They became World Champions.

And heels1785, yeah, they've had some lows this season. But if they are clicking, I think they are the only team that could beat UConn.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    On the men's side, there isn't much difference between 13, 14, 15, and 16 seeds, most of the time - almost always are champions from the weakest mid-major conferences. The top four teams in each region are generally considered elite (top 15 in nation) teams.

Since 2000:

15 seeds have four wins over 2 seeds, 14 seeds have eight wins over 3 seeds, and 13 seeds have fourteen wins over 4 seeds. In total, that's 26/204, about 12.75%. Certainly enough to justify the competition.

Even though the men's bracket has never had a 16 over a 1, the women's have. I think the potential of seeing Duke get curbstomped by Lehigh is part of what drives the ratings for the tournament up - 2017 is +38% over last year so far.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Not a good week to be a Chicago Sports fan I see.

24. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    The University of Florida won the College World Series last night [face_party]which makes them one of the few schools to win titles in (D1) Football, Men's Basketball, and Baseball. And they've won all three within the last 10 years (in addition to a variety of other titles) :)

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible Dilemma tonight.

no chance Game 2 ends before USA-Panama kicks.

What's an Inty to do?