main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Arena Tournament: Favourite Basketballer -WINNER ANNOUNCED INSIDE

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome to the Second Arena Tournament, which celebrates the great game of Basketball and those who've played it.

Much like other tournaments across the boards, there are a few rules which need to be explained

2. Remember, that this is a favourite tournament. Therefore, you should vote for your favourite, not that of anyone else

3. If you're unsure about an option, take the time to click on the player link, which will direct you to a wiki page on the player. This helps participants make informed decisions and, therefore, makes the tournament better.

4. To vote, simply look for the most recent vote announcement, and vote according to the match-ups shown by picing one of the pair. You do not have to vote on all pairs in a round however.

5. Rounds will last, on average, 24 hours. At the end of the voting period, the winners will be announced and the next round posted. New rounds will also be signalled by a change in the thread title

6. Be sure you're voting for the right round. Any vote-posts that relate to previous or future rounds will be ignored

7. Discussion is allowed, and encouraged, especially on why you voted for a player. Remember to keep to the TOS when doing so however

8. Voting with socks is not allowed and will result in the purpetrator being barred from participating in the rest of the tournament

9. The second post of the thread contains all the nominations and regions. If you wish to see who is remaining and who has been eliminated (will be highlighted at the end of each round), check there

10. Have fun guys [face_peace]

11. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
  12. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar

Agent Zero is way too me-first for my liking.

Sean Elliott

Bogues may be more entertaining, but Elliott is much more inspirational.

Charles Barkley

The Round Mound of Rebound. Gotta love him. (As a player, not as an analyst)

Len Bias

On potential alone ...

14. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar - "Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

Muggsy Bogues - He was just a fun guy to watch and his Hungry Man commercials were classic.

Charles Barkley - Right or wrong, I just like people who speak their mind. "I am not a role model."

Len Bias - I could just as easily hate him for being so stupid, but he was just so frickin' good. Whatta waste.

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Gilbert Arenas
    - Boooo. Horrible draw for Gilbo. Damn, going out in the first round? There's gotta be somebody who appreciates his quirky attitude as much as I do. Don't really expect him to beat Kareem though, which really sucks.

Sean Elliott
    - That jumper will be forever implanted into my mind. I always like Mugsey just because of the height, but once I actually started watching him, I realized I didn't like his game much at all.

Charles Barkley
    - I like Rick, but Chuck blows him away with just his mouth. Not to mention he's still in amazing game shape. We all saw him whoop Baveta.

Shane Battier
    - Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see Bias play. I've heard things, and seen videos, but without appreciating his performances when they happened, and with not a ton of video to watch, I have to go with Shane. Brilliant individual and team defender, and easily a top 5 glue guy in the league. And I just have a thing for glue guys. His being left off the All-Defense team this year was a worse mockery than Camby or Kobe being put on the 1st team.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar For his performance in airplane alone.

Muggsy Bogues

Charles Barkley

Len Bias -- I actually saw him play in person, his senior year at Maryland vs. Notre Dame. Two ND players used all of their combined 10 fouls trying to stop him, he still scored 25. Unbelievable. What an absolute waste.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar - never really cared for Arenas all that much, though he's certainly a very good player.

Muggsy Bogues - exciting, plus he played for Charlotte, the closest team to where I live, when I was a kid. That helps him out here.

Charles Barkley - Easy pick for me here, though I was never as much of a fan of Barkley as one of my close friends was - he was obsessed.

Shane Battier - Duke, one of my favorite players of all time, period. Bias is tough opposition, but Battier will get my vote against almost anyone else in this tournament.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm going to have as much fun with this tournament as the last. :p

:(

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  20. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Gilbert Arenas - I've never really liked Kareem, and i think Arenas is one of the more entertaining players in the league (if only for his off court antics).

Muggsy Bogues - I liked the movie Eddie. So sue me.

Charles Barkley - Both as a player and as an analyst. Extremely entertaining.

Shane Battier - I'm one of those guys that feels no sympathy for Bias, and Battier was a great college player and a solid pro.

21. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar

Muggsy Bogues

Charles Barkley

Len Bias

22. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar

Muggsy Bogues

Rick Barry (I'm a rebel without a cause.)

Len Bias

23. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Kareem

Bogues

Barkley

Bias

24. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Kareem Abdul Jabar
    Pretty much by default.

Sean Elliott
    My parents took me to Game 1 of the WCF between Spurs and Blazers, which the Spurs won in a blowout. I remember when we were watching Game 2 at home and the Spurs were getting blown out my mom said, "We went to the good game". Woops.

Rick Barry
    He's a frequent guest on the Rise Guys radio show here and I usually like what he has to say. Plus we share a last name :p

Len Bias
    If nothing else, a bizarre story.

25. Black_Eagle

Black_Eagle Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar

Muggsy Bogues

Charles Barkley

Shane Battier

26. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Kareem Abdul-Jabber

Sean Elliott

Charles Barkley

Abstain

27. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
  28. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
  29. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Larry Bird

No way I could vote against Larry Legend in the first round without a horrible draw (MJ, Lebron)

Manute Bol

Much I like it was hard to vote against Helmut in the soccer tournament, Manute gets the "cool first name" vote from me here.

Horace Grant

The unsung hero in MJ's title run ...

Caron Butler

Only a handful of people I would vote Kobe over ... and Carlos Boozer is one of them.

30. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Larry Bird

one of my favourite players of all time.

Manute Bol

Bogut is still relatively unproven at this stage. will probably go on to be better than Bol, though.

Elton Brand

Grant is very underrated but i think Brand would have been just as if not better alongside Jordan and Pippen. Brand rules. trading him for Chandler = stupidity personified

Kobe Bryant

Bryant is the better player. period.

31. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Larry Bird - The kind of inspirational player every team wished they could have.

Andrew Bogut - I've gotta give my vote to the Aussie. Such a huge talent, and hopefully the kind of player that can inspire basketball hopefuls locally as well as in the NBA. Here's hoping for a better '08 season, free from injury.

Horace Grant - A trooper of a player, perhaps not the greatest talent compared to Elton, but certainly a fighter. Also of note, Horace made one of the most important blocks in NBA history, helping Chicago defeat Phoenix all those years ago.

Kobe Bryant - Butler is a player to watch, but Kobe is the master.

32. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    oops, i went with who i thought was the better player. i should change Brand for Grant but i won't, screw it.

33. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Abstain

Andrew Bogut

Abstain

Kobe Bryant

34. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Bird - He was like basketball's Gretzky. They dominated to mythical extremes.

Bogut

Brand

Butler - Kobe's a thug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.