The art of getting as much as possible into a bag, or what costumes are you bringing?

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by Obi Anne, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I love getting all dressed up and have been planning my C4 and CE costumes for a while. Who else is bringing a costume, and which costume(s) is it (are they)?

Here's my list so far

Amidala Return to Naboo gown
    Party AOTC picnic gown
    concept ROTS handmaiden gown
    Possibly a fourth secret one, I was hoping to have it made for C4, but I think I wont have the time or possibility to finish it by then so I'm hoping to be able to bring it to CE instead.

I also have to think about what will fit in my bag, since the Return to Naboo will be both heavy and big, that's why I'm not taking my TPM handmaiden or ROTS sleeveless since I don't feel like carrying the boots for those costumes with me.
  2. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I will no doubt be wearing my Anakin RotS concept costume. I need to pump some more money into it first, hoping to improve the belt, glove and boots and get me a flashy MR SFX Saber or half-decent hilt at least. It's the only costume I have so I have no difficult decisions to make ;)
  3. DARTHLARS Force Ghost

star 4
    I will bring my prequel Jedi costume and Rebel Captain's outfit. Thankfully, I use the same boots for both costumes and I won't be packing the outer robe, so I don't think I will need more than one suitcase.
    But before that, there are lots of small improvements I want to do on my costumes.
  4. Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm hoping to have my X-wing pilot costume done by CE.

Alas, the art of packing a bag with normal clothes totally passed me by.
  5. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AND you won't have to take your bag on a plane! ;)

I haven't decided yet, what I'm going to bring.
    All I know is that I defenitly want something new for CE. I'm pretty tiered of my officer costumes. My FemTie will be ready within the next month but who knows how the flight security situation will change till then and if we are allowed to bring armor and blasters on board of the plane (even if we have it packed up and sealed in bags or boxes).

And I more and more want a Leia costume, so I think I will start working on one soon.

Costuming is the greatest part about a convention for me. It's totally great to see all the dressed up poeple! :D
  6. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If I can work out a way to get to London for this, the number of costumes I'll be bringing will be much smaller than what I'll be taking to CIV in LA. Most likely just my Jedi and MonMothma (Ep VI)

The main thing I'm concerned about is bringing my custom saber through international security. Its made from metal pipe. Has anyone else done this? Any problems? Or should I just forget the custom metal saber and go with the generic plastic store bought toy saber?
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    There have been a few threads on transporting costumes & props over in the Costuming forum. I found an old one here. It has autolocked due to age but does provide some info.
    Currently the airline security is still high between the US and UK (no liquids/gel, small carry-on bag, etc). Hopefully this will be eased by next year, but in considering your packing you might want to assume you will have to check everything. The thread I linked to has a few recommendations for transporting replica weaponry. I'd also recommend checking with your airline when you book your flight.
  8. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's pretty much like LAJ_FETT posted.
    I could tell you that we didn't have a problem with our lightsabers when we were flying in for Celebration 3. We had them in our bags and not the hand-luggage of course.
    But you never know how the security situatio will change till then.
  9. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In regards to costuming weapons at cons (guns mainly), I'm going to have to chat to Showmasters about this - they had a very strict policy at London Film and Comic Con, it's not like US where they had a weapons check. I'll get back to you.
  10. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Ditto :D
  11. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ill be in my sith costume at least one of the days. Im in the same position as tice, i need to upgrade the boots and the belt, but thats about it.
  12. skywalker_1982 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hoth stormtrooper for me doing my 501st duties I hope
    I think my friend will be coming over for this from san diego and told me she will be in her mara jade costume.
  13. Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well no doubt I'll be in my scoutie and my jedi and the hubby's got Vader, stormie and a sith so he can alternate the costumes between the 3 days. I'm hoping for another costume before the big day though.
  14. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If all goes well then I might also have a Stormtrooper costume for the big day :D

No promises though :p

And would that be an x-wing gear costume, Koren?? At this rate we'll have a whole squadron ;)
  15. Darth_Tofu Force Ghost

star 4
    My travel buddies and I are coming from Alaska, which is about a 24 hour trip, and we're super limited on space, so I think we've voted to not bring armor, but I think we're going to try to squeeze in at least one or two costumes. Our hotel isn't too far away, but we'll have to take the tube to get there, so I think the priority will be making comfortable costumes :)
  16. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    TK armour, if I can ever get around to getting it finished. [face_plain]
  17. VIPER62 Jedi Padawan

TK Armour and my TIE pilot gear.
  18. DarthNightfire Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm going to probably just buy a bunch of camoflauge and be a Rebel Soldier. By the way, are you allowed to bring a gun?
  19. Enji Force Ghost

star 6
    At C3 there was this place you had to go to where they checked your weapon (to make sure it wasn't a real one or whatever) and then they attached a big orange sticker to the weapon. You were not allowed to walk around with a weapon of any kind without that sticker. I guess they will do something similar at CE.
  20. DarthNightfire Jedi Youngling

star 3
  21. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    As for me, I plan on bringing my Jedi outfit - unless I get to make a new one, which I kinda doubt that will. But perhaps some upgrades to the one I have...
  22. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you think there will be a cloakroom of some sort there for people to leave bags? Because I really want to wear my costume to the event but I have to travel by train and tube everyday to get there, and I am not going on public transport in my costume lol
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I'd give the ExCel Center a phone call on that question. I've never been there so I really can't say. You'd probably still have to haul your costume in each day that you attend though - I can't see them letting you leave anything overnight. If you have any friends staying in a nearby hotel for the show maybe they will let you leave your bag in their room.

Also a warning for anyone thinking of using British Airways to get to London - they have introduced a maximum of one checked bag per traveller on most routes (not from the USA though). If you have multiple bags or your one bag is too heavy you will have to pay a penalty. You can see details on their policy here.
  24. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Emailed Excel 5 mins ago, just got this email back.

'Thanks for emailing ExCeL London, There is a cloakroom in operation for the show, It is located in the central Boulevard area on level 0 and will cost £1 per item'

Pretty cool, £3 all together for me. So if you can get your costume in a bag without damaging it, you could change in the toilets at the show and leave your civvies in a bag in the cloakroom.

Sorted :D
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Thanks for letting us know!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.