main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Art of Moonshadow

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Moonshadow, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2003
    I've had a thread here before as corellian_chic242, located here. However, since I'm using a new screen name and a new gallery, I figured a new thread would be fitting.

Lujayne Argente- She was the very first person I drew; the one who started it all, really. She was a character from a pilot story I was working on at the time... back when I stole names. :p

Landiar Guardian- I did this piece while I was experimenting with security and military uniforms. I'm going to redo it as the uniform of the Valheraan Palace Guards. (Valheraan-Moashi Empire; see my bio)

I just wanted to give some background on a few pieces. The rest can be found here:

[PEOPLE]

Anavrin 02.02.04
    Trixie Composite 06.26.04
    Landiar Guardian 08.23.04
    Quinne 12.04.04
    Laysi Pon-Devcris 01.29.05
    Mohawk Warrior 02.07.05
    CSB Uniform [date unknown] unfinished
    Lexes Aah'valia [date unknown]
    Esira Kahn 03.06.05
    Teodosie Reahl 03.07.05
    Diaghilevan 09.24.05
    Sai-Ten Nonen Composite 09.29.05
    Ru Bentana 12.04.05
    Zweistra Cornyn 12.07.05
    Trixie [original] [date unknown]
    Trixie [colour] [date unknown]
    Zwiestra Cornyn [redo] 03.26.06
    VSC Uniform 03.26.06
    Kontxesi 03.27.06
    Soraya Taricks 08.05.06
    Soraya Taricks [coloured] 08.05.06
    Smuggler Chick [WIP] 08.13.06 NEW!

[SHIPS]

Saales-class bulk transport
    Peregrine-class gunboat
    Betawley-class luxury liner
    Fenmara-class interceptor

[SPECIES][

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Moonshadow, it's so great to see some of your great concept sketches again! You're one of those people that seems to have a fantastic imagination for costume design (Trisha Biggars, look out!)--it's something I have such trouble with: coming up with original and unique costumes!

I love the coloring in the first piece--beautiful blue, and the red hair really sets off the gown. The dress looks very fluid, like silk or something like it (which would also take color well, as you've depicted). Lovely!

"Diaghilevan" is a wonderful costume, with the furry parts well drawn! I really like her boots, too--very cool!

"Landiar Guardian" looks great--a wonderful take on a military uniform, particularly for a woman/female. Her weaponry looks pretty lethal...I would not want this person angry with me, lol!

I also took a swing through the new gallery--you've got some great work in there (you've been busy--good!)! Looking forward very much to seeing more here--thanks for sharing it with us again! :D

FF

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Glad to see more of your work, c_c!

4. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    You're alive! Good to see you Moon, formerly C_C! ^_^ And glad to see ya posting more art. Keep it up!

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I said it before and I'll say it again - you are very talented when it comes to coming up with costume/concept art. It takes a very creative mind to actually sit yourself down and come up with all the different designs you manage to come up with.

Oh, and it's great to see you back on the boards! :D

6. Siths_Herald

Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    I agree with the costume design comments. The first thing I thought when i saw your style was "fasion designer- GFFA". I like how you've kept them simple too. I've seen many Sci-fi costumes that just get too cluttered. And while gadgets and belts and buckles often give an artist a chance to show off detail drawing skills, they can sometimes distract from the character. Look at Luke's ANH outfit. Besides the belt, you can't get much simpler than that.

Anyhoo, nice job!

7. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Wow! I wasn't expecting this many replies. :)

FF: Silk is what I imagined this piece in. :) And that's pretty much my most favoritest color ever.... :p

TR: I'm glad that your glad. ;)

R_Zion: :p Yes, I'm alive. I hope to have some neat pieces up soon. :)

HS: That's the same thing I say about Ian McCaig. :p I feel so insignificant next to thse concept artists.... But everyone's praise makes me feel much better about it. :)

SH: I've actually wished that I could come up with more doohikyfloppers to stick around.... But I have a hard time drawing blasters and stuff, so I usually leave them out. I'm glad you like it that way. :)

Anyway. I'm uploading some new (old, really, but just scanned) stuff right now. :)

Outcast Composites- characters from my story, The Outcast

Alija Rystan

Bheth Talos

Castraa Montice

Laysi Pon-Devcris

Soraya Taricks

Tesia Ralef-uma

Other

Species: Chambray

Species: Khoray

Mohawk Warrior

Rodian studies

Trixie

Twi'lek Study

8. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    These are some great drawings, Moonshadow. I like the uniqueness of the uniforms and the styles you implement.

9. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Like has been said before, your costume concepts are mindblowing! The detail you put in is incredible, I can never be botherd to put any real detail into my drawings! lol :p
    I particularly like your warrior characters, they all have a real origionality about them!
    It's great to see your work again! :D

10. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Cheveyo: Thank you. :) I try hard on the uniforms, but it's hard to make them unique when I'm always looking at the Art of Episode II and III (the books). :p

Esira: It's good to be back. :) I had forgotten how much I enjoyed compliments. :p

11. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    =D=

Very wonderful sketches as usual :) I'll have to take a closer look at them when I'm done studying, but it was great to see further concepts on your "The Outcast" characters :)

12. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    How did I miss all the alien species studies?! [face_thinking] I must have been on an interstellar warp-trip or something equally unbelievable as an excuse...

I love your detailing, as I've always said Moonshadow--the intricacies of the uniforms, clothing and styling are just awesome, and now you apply those skills to your aliens, too! Beautiful studies--I love the way you color your work, too--lovely and subtle, but with enough saturation to really bring out the colors you're using.

And I especially love Trixie! How awesome a character is she? =D= The "walking stick" and the beautifully adorned clothing really make her, indicating she's a person of some stature and also of leisure (although I have a feeling there's some sort of covert weapon in that walking stick... ;) ). Just wonderful!

It's great to see things from you again, and sorry I missed that last update!

FF

13. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    Everything's awesome Moonie!! really nice. Everything's simple but elegant in that way.

I like how on some of them you don't really do any shading you do simple lines to show where there whould be a shadow but no real blending... I really liked that aspect fo your art!

Excellent job!!

14. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Earwen: Oh, I guess I'd never shown you guys the later sketches of your characters, huh? Well, I'm glad you liked them! :)

FF: I rather liked those aliens, too. :) The Chambray better than the Khoray.... I love the way the female's webbing turned out!

And I've always been fond of Trixie's cane. ;) I can just see her walking around a cavernous hangar bay inspecting spice loads and other smuggled goodies.... :p

Goddess: Everything's simple but elegant in that way.

How funny that you say that! "Simple yet elegant" was a thought that came into my head when watching a movie and looking at costumes.... That phrase has inspired many pieces. :)

I hate shading. :p So I'm glad you like my alternative style. ;)

15. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I love the Chambray - they look like Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura's love children :p

Great work all around, Moonshadow!

16. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    I love the Chambray - they look like Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura's love children

[face_laugh] Ah, you're so right! I'd never looked at them that way.... I was actually trying to model them after that baby alien in MIB. :p

17. Valie

Valie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2005
    Same here FF, costumes are not my strong point. And there are so many! They're so detailed and the range is amazing. :D

18. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I like your drawings! :) will you draw some Chiss someday? it would be cool [face_batting]

19. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Same here FF, costumes are not my strong point. And there are so many! They're so detailed and the range is amazing.

Thank you, Valie. :) I do try. ;)

I like your drawings! will you draw some Chiss someday? it would be cool

Chiss, eh? Interesting that you mention that.... I was justing thinking of it last night! And I just may have to do that. Except they'll look just like humans, since I don't colour them anymore. :p

I'm going through and linking everything in my first post. All updates will be made there now. :)

20. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Oops. Double posted. [face_blush] Haven't done that in a long while....

21. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I love your characters! (And the costumes are really nice!)
    And I also agree with Vana.
    Chiss.
    And lots of them!
    :D

22. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks, Rhi. :) And since I've got two votes for Chiss.... Guess I'll have to deliver. :p

23. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Nice drawings, Moonshadow! I'll first say that my favorite is your General Grievous! very realistic and menacing... You went into detail in the mecanics, which is always good! *thumbs up*

I like that you keep a personal style in drawing your characters! It's really cool, personally I hate the "manga/anime" style, yours is much closer to reality in matters of proportion. I like :)

Keep up the good work!!!

24. Moonshadow

Mar 11, 2003
    I like that you keep a personal style in drawing your characters! It's really cool, personally I hate the "manga/anime" style, yours is much closer to reality in matters of proportion. I like

Ah, thank you! As do I. I like to see people with their own unique style. Glad you appreciate it too. ;)

25. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Good stuff! I always like seeing costume concepts and such. Those 'art of' books always get me in the mood for drawing. Not all the images you had up were viewable though because of bandwidth, so hopefully I can catch them later! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.