main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I still to this day have never opened up Director. I am full of good intentions of learning it - but never seem to get around to it. I sure am a Flash nerd, though. Well, I sorta start to fuzz out when the programmers get crazy explaining all the Action Scripting. At that point I usually plaster a look of bland innocence on my face and resort to my standard defense - "I draw pretty pictures." They end up doing the coding for me...... :D

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Director is so sweet, it does just sbout everything. When I get enough money I want to upgrade to Authorware, I heard it blows Director out of the water.

3. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Here's another uselful link for you artist types:

Markup Codes

-Otis

4. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    *huff*

*huff*

(wipes brow, tired from running)

Hey . . where's the Baroness?!?

-Otis

5. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Oops - sorry. having a little construction going on. Getting a new phone line today.. Hooray!

So. Um. whatya want to know????

6. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Um . . you know . . stuff.

Seriously, a working artist is something of a rarity around here (at least it used to be). Advice for those of us who are still slaving away in the unknown regions would be a very good thing. Just share your experiences.

Help us, BalinakaBaroness . . you're our only hope.

Any help here would be hot.

Man, I'm a geek.

-Otis

7. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Funny Otis. Though a bit frightening to be considered anyone's last hope. We truly are doomed! ;)

So big giant disclaimer. My experience is very small. I don't know much. I have only had TWO jobs for my big illlustration career (well, and an internship in NYC), cause I don't think that paper route counts. Also, my area of expertise is Children's Book type illustration - so take all of this with a grain of salt! Or uh.... something.

Ooops. Phone people are here again. Be back in a bit.....

8. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I love children's book illustration. There is some wonderful work being done in that area, and I feel it goes alrgely unnoticed.

One of my favorite things to do is stroll through the children's book section at Barnes & Noble and just take in all of the great work.

-Otis

9. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I never knew that, is it worth a look?

EDIT:
    Question. Do artists have the actors pose for the way they know they want to paint their poster?

Check out the Italian AOTC poster:

[image=http://theforce.net/episode2/newspics/aotc_poster-italy01.jpg]

They're in the EXACT same pose as Struzan's poster, and it's a pic. Did Struzan have them pose like that, or was it just another shot from a photo shoot?

10. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    All of Struzan's stuff is from photos - if it's from Star Wars, they usually give him all the scrap from movie stills or the Lucasfilm archives, etc. For that one book cover he did with Mara on it, I bet he found his own model to photograph (kinda hated his choice, didn't think he captured "Mara" ;) ) - but I guess to more fully answer your question, it depends. I know that Romance Novel book cover painters hire and pose the models themselves. It's a big money thing - met one once, not a model but an artist who did those for a living, but I wouldn't mind meeting some of those models.... ooo fabio! ;)

Edit: Oh, you were asking more specifically about movie posters weren't you.... hmmm. I don't know, probably depends. But I seriously doubt struzan had anything to do with photographing the Star Wars actors. [/edit]

And DEFINITELY check out the Children's Book section. It is my favorite! there are some great artists in there. My favorites: William Joyce and Mary Grand Pre. Also great artists - Gary Kelley, Lane Smith, Stephen Johnson, C.F. Payne. Oh I could go on and on - you've wandered into my domain! :D

11. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    William Joyce RULES!

Not so fond of the newer 3D stuff, but his painting style is lovely.

-Otis

12. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    I heard Blue Sky (the people who did Ice Age) are making a movie based on his concepts. Sounds cool, no?

From Otis:
    Just share your experiences

OK, here's one that I told Mojomoe about, that I think is a good story for everyone. A couple years ago I had to go on a recruiting trip to CalArts, the big animation school down in LA. I had a couple hours to go through several hundred portfolios, make a list of about a dozen people, and then interview them that same afternoon. An intense day. I learned a big lesson that day about portfolios, being on the "other" side.

Since there were just so many portfolios and reels to look at, I had to flip through them quickly. If something stood out, if they had a strong presentation, or a stand out blockbuster piece that caught my eye, I would slow down and take a little more care to look through their work. Otherwise, the pace was Turn page... turn page... turn page. And it killed me, cause having been an art student I could imagine all the time, blood sweat and tears that went into those portfolios, and here I was barely giving them the time of day.

So the moral of the story is, Art Directors are busy. They are inundated with samples all demanding their attention. For everyone great portfolio there are twenty crappy ones to muddle through. Therefore, you need a gimmick. You need a something to catch their eye. And I don't mean cheesy gimmicks. I mean, immaculate clever presentation. Strong bold pieces that catch the eye. If you are on the fence over putting a certain drawing in - don't put it in. One bad piece really spoils the book. More is not better. Quality over quantity is the definite motto to live by when putting together a portfolio.

Kinda harsh, huh? but sadly, that's the biz.....

13. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    The Balinaka Baroness brings warm feelings to my heart.

But I'm a softy, so what can I say?

Thanks for sharing. :D

Now, let's see some more of your great artwork!

-Otis

14. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Hey guys.. :D

While I'm procrastinating here..

I, too, adore Normal Rockwell. My parents had a big book of his saturday Evening Post covers and I'd spend hours and hours looking at them. His work has inspired me a little, and I want to get another book of his work of my own just so i can sit and stare.

Part of my absence from the boards was the AOTC stuff, but theother part is that I'm back in school and taking graphic design. I'm doing well (91% average, won a scholarship) because I've discovered thsat I love this so much that I've been able to sacrifice some things for my schooling. (If you want to see some design, check out AmaraVisions on my web site) At the moment I'm working on some drawings for a dutch web site and I have a summer job at a newspaper ;)

I managed to get a kick ass deal on the Wildlife of Star Wars, Terryl is a great inspiration as I adore doing concept type illustration and drawinfg critters.

Mmm.. critters..

I should do some more art :p :)

15. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Norman Rockwell is great. I love his characterizations of people. Everyone has so much life just oozing out of them. Since I already gushed about J.C. Leyendecker, some other Golder Agers that are "Must See" are N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle. Amazing.

ArtyEwok - that's very cool about going to Design School. (and kudos on the scholarship!) I just checked out your Design section, very cool stuff. I love the Angry girl, and the Art of Type Layout was wonderful! I always struggled in my Design classes, so i have great admiration for graphic designers.

So, you wanna see more artwork, eh? I just finished my big paying gig (12 illos!) and have a little free time to play! I should have some new SW sketches to post pretty soon. In the meantime - here's a non-Star Wars item: (beware, I was being battered by the cute stick the entire time I was painting this....)
    stinky ducks
    it's showing up really washed out in my browser, don't know why... :(

16. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Baroness! OMG!

That is so great! I love the illustration style.

What medium did you use?

:D

Thanks for the commens on the design stuff, it seems to come naturally to me.. I like illustration, too, but the design is great for bread and butter :D

17. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey thanks!

Acrylics. And teeny tiny brushes! Actually, I scan my sketches, do the underpainting in photoshop, print it out, stretch it, roll gel medium over the top to give it texture, and then paint with Acrylics. Don't ask how I eventually evolved to this long complex process, but hey, whatever works, right? :D

I hear ya about design bread and butter. It's hard for me, but I can manage it. That's what I was doing for the last 6 months at my last job. Agonizing! I'm glad it comes natural to you. My sister and brother-in-law are both Graphic Designers and everything they touch just looks cool. I'm jealous....

18. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Baroness-

That's a beautiful illo. Gorgeous.

As for "cute sticks" . . they're essential. I keep one right by my desk.

-Otis

19. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey, so what ever happened to this mysterious Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn who started this thread? Hey, come back! I'm about to buy a round of Juri Juice for everyone!

So I was thinking, I bet what you guys really want to know about is the dirt, the gossip, secrets and heresay about my days with the Empire! ;) Not my high and mighty portfolio preachiness! [face_laugh] Well, as far as secrets, a lowly minion such as I was has no knowledge of any good secrets. Besides, even though I no longer work there, they still own a good chunk of my soul. Don't want any ugly entanglements with that Behemoth. :D Gossip, well, try to avoid it - but boy do I love it.... Dirt - well I've got a really good story about bricks, which is pretty close, and Heresay - that's my favorite!

So gather 'round, here's a round o' drinks for y'all while I spin a tall tale of bovines, foam core and a man with a little too much power. ;)

I don't know if any of you know what The Ranch looks like, (Skywalker Ranch, that is) but it is out in the middle of the beautiful rolling hills of Marin in Northern California. The Ranch is this bucolic paradise, with grand Victorian architecture, groves of Redwood trees, olive trees, even its own vinyard, and surrounding all of this: sprawling fields littered with grazing cattle. Now I hear tell that in the early days of the Ranch, there were no cattle, just acres and acres of golden meadows. Oh, but all of that was to change when one day a neighboring rancher's cattle unwittingly wandered onto the great Ranch. Well, at this point George looked out his window and thought, Hey - that's what we're missing, we need our own cattle to complete the scene! So after the tresspassing bovines were collected and removed, George set about the get himself some cows. Now, being the visual maestro he is, not just any cows would do for his Ranch. He called his Art Dept into action, and soon lifesize foam core cut outs of various breeds of cattle were propped up all about the hills surrounding the Main House, so George could see which cattle would be the most aesthetically pleasing and best complement the landscape. Now, I don't know the name of the kind of cows up there at the Ranch, but they are mighty pretty cows, a bright sparkly white dappled with ebony spots. And so that is how the Ranch got its cows.

[face_laugh] I hope you guys understand there is absolutely zero amount of truth to this story. It was told to me by a friend who heard from so and so, who said they heard from them and they.... you get the idea. I actually know a guy whose uncle owns the neighboring ranch and could verify the silliness of this story. But it's just so great, I love the Urban Legend craziness of it, and wanted to share it with you guys!

And thus concludes today's storytime hour.... lol...
    ~Baroness

20. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I think the Baroness spent the day working with some particularly odiferous markers. :D

-Otis

P.S. Just teasin' Bar, still love ya.

21. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    It is SO hot and I am SO bored!!!

Probably same effect as a barrel full of open markers... ;)

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It's hot here where I live, I have 3 fans on me right now and it isn't doing a thing to cool me down.

23. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    and it's not even officially summer. maybe I need to rethink this whole working at home thing, and get a nice cushy job at a nice air conditioned office.... ahhhhhhh

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah but then you have to drive hom ein hot sticky traffic, it's a no win situation.

25. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.