main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_One

Golden_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    Hello everyone! *plunks down on a chair with the latest Star Wars book and orders a glass of Whyren's Reserve*

Yeah, it was hot here last week, but now we have a cold front :D. Thank God, or else going outside would be unthinkable. In San Diego we never had such bad weather. you'd go outside and it would be 70 degrees, with a nice ocean breeze blowing. Man I miss that place.

So, what's going on in here?

2. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Not much in here today. I scared everyone away with my crazy story! ;) Actually, I think the action's over in the Weekly Fan Art Challenge thread! Check it out!

3. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Yea, Fan Art hasn't been too active today :(

*sits down on a sofa*

So, how is everyone?

4. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I'm just fine. The weather's scary here, it's gonna start hailing soon.

I'm goin' back to 'ol SD this summer...I love Mission Beach!

5. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Just shows how dumb I am - I'm thinking, SD = South Dakota? there ain't no stinkin' beaches in south dakota!

San Diego, yes? ;)

6. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    It was 94 degrees today here or something like that...too darn hot.

7. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    With squinting eyes, a stubbled chin, and cowboy swagger, Cheveyo enters the cantina. The door "swishes" behind him. In the distance somebody whistles the theme to "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Cheveyo lets loose a lopsided grin as if to say, "Guess which one I am?" ;);)

As the other patrons roll their eyes at the strange, not-quite-unfamiliar stranger, he makes his way to a booth, plops himself upon a cozy conforming cushion and orders the house special... with a hair in it.

Hiya folks! I'm fine, thanks for asking... or not. ;)

8. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    The Baroness gasps as she squints trying to catch a glimpse of the strange, not-quite-unfamiliar stranger swaggering into the dimly lit cantina, only to realize too late that her corset is on way too tight, thus causing her to faint, and gracefully, as she always is, fall face first into her large plate of mashed potatoes and green jello. ... um, I mean, Corellian stew. ;)

good of you to drop by Cheveyo - long time no see!

9. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Thank you, oh Great Beaned Balinaka Baroness. ;) oh alright... I'll quit with the bean thing. :D I've been floating around. Actually, just returned from a rather heated topic in the Senate. whew... talk about a brain strain!

I like that the art forum is kicking up. It's actually beginning to take the feel of a community, as opposed to its previous life as a taco stand. ;)

mmmmmm, tacos... I gotta go get food!

p.s. nice corset. It really brings out the red in your cheeks. ;)

10. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Two hustlers try to rip off Watto outside. Suddenly, they look up on the roof of the Cantina. What is it? No it can't be! Oh, but it is...it's the myth, the legend...

...the JABACHILE!

In full Jedi attire, lightsaber ignited, the JABACHILE jumps down on the two crooks, striking them down, saving Watto from a sure bad deal. He walks off, intoxicated by his victory. Suddenly, we see a man in his underpants run out of an alley.

"Hey! That guy stole me clothes!"

The mighty Jabachile runs away!

11. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    The Baroness is laughing so hard at the mighty Jabachile, she faints again, this time making a face plant right into Adoniah's chilled ewok soup. Beans are flying everywhere....

The judges award her a 9.5 overall,
    9.9 for artistic presentation.

12. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    (in his best Sam The Eagle voice)

You people are all WEIRD.

-Otis

13. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    LOL at the Jabachile, golf clap to the face plant.

14. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey, wait - Cheveyo! I don't think you saw my Baroness drawing.
    baroness
    See on her belt? See that little pouch? Know what she keeps in there?

beans.

15. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank ADONIAH32 for his efforts to build the Fan Art Forum into something more cohesive and community-like. He has been fighting the good fight in the Communications forum. And I wish I had seen the thread earlier, but I just never go there.

A suggestion for a better forum . .

More *Official Such-And-Such* Threads. I think we should follow the example of the AOTC forum and try to condense the threads into specific and managable topics. Examples of these would be:

-Official Artist Threads. Each contribulting Fan Artist could have their own thread to add their new art to. This would cut down on multiple threads for each new piece an artist would like to show. This would also give people a little place on the web to call their own, which is nice. Especially for those people who do not have the money, resources or time for personal websites.

-Tutorial specific threads, much like the "Official Lightsaber Tutorial" thread I just bumped up.

-More threads like the "Artist's Cantina" and the Weekly Fan Art Challenge. These are already two of my new favorites at the JC.

Just a few ideas.

-Otis

16. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Sweet!!! It's official, you can't escape the power of the bean! :D

By the way, love the pic! :) I'm sketching out new versions of Cheveyo... I'm really tired of the current drawing. I'll post when it's complete.

17. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Baroness, is that a self-potrait?

-Otis

18. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Ohhhhh. <nods head knowingly>. Yes, thank you, ADONIAH32. I was wondering what your earlier comment referred to. It all makes sense now. I should really get out and wander the boards more. ;)

....although you did seem a bit... well... abrasive in that thread.

19. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Yes, he's been working very hard lately, he gets many props from me :)

Otis- I'm cropping a pic with a lightsaber. Whenever I crop it, the outer glow of the saber recedes as well. Result- outer glow rounds out before the pic ends, that's not what i want. Is there any way to prevent that?

20. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Hm . . good question.

To be honest, I hadn't used the layer styles function for lightsaber glows until just yesterday (when I stumbled upon the tutorial I just posted in the other thread). All of the lightsabers in my images have been done with anothe rtechnique. So I can't answer your question.

Actually, I've always found the layer styles a bit intimidating. :D

I'm going to conquer that fear. I just got the Photoshop 6 Wow Book. I hope it helps.

Can anyone else help?

-Otis

21. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    OOH! Oooh! <raises hand in the air with emphatic "Horshack" shake> I know the answer to that one! But I'll let Otis answer.

22. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I defer to Cheveyo. ;)

-Otis

23. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    I wanna hear this too. You know, I've never made a lightsaber before....

Backtracking a bit.... Great Ideas Otis (and thanks to Adoniah32 as well). I like the official artist threads. Some people have them sort of started, like Cheveyo. I was kind of thinking mine would be my Big Fat Fanfic thread. ;) But making it more obvious and *official* I think will help people who only drop by occasionally. I don't mind sort of watching/taking care of the Weekly Challenge Thread (though I would like help coming up with the topics). Things are starting to hop - doncha think???

Man, beans are awesome.

Baroness, is that a self-potrait?
    Nooooo. No. No. No. Maybe personality-wise, cause, you know, I usually look half-crazed and I do like to blow stuff up! ;) Actually, I can usually see a little of myself in most drawings I do, this one, hmmm, maybe a little.

24. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Doh! I still have a problem with realtime. ;)

Well, the only way I've thus far been able to solve the mystery of the fading saber (don't laugh, it'll happen to you, too, eventually ;)) is to extend the "canvas" size beyond the dimensions of the image you plan to retain. When all is said and done... i.e. the picture is finished... save the image as a single layer. After that, you can crop the image back to the desired size while maintaining the glow right up to the edge of the pic. Does that makes sense?

If anyone knows of an easier method, I'd be happy to stand corrected. This has worked for me on all of my Jedi drawings thus far.

25. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    I tried that before and it didn't work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.