main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Can a non-artist join in here?

There is no "joining". Everyone can (and is encouraged to) post artwork in this forum. And don't even concern yourself with "skill", for everyone is good at different things. We appreciate all kinds of art in here, at all levels. I hope you will post your own art thread and display your work for us to see. I look forward to it.

And hopefully soon, we will be engaging in some practices that will help better the skills of each of our artists. :)

2. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I admit I do have a little of my art around somewhere, but none of it is Star Wars related, and I have no idea where it's stashed. Moved a couple of times.

I suppose I'd better dig out my pencils. That's the only way I'll have anything to post in a thread here. ;)

As I said, I'm no artist. Well...there is ONE pic I've done that is sort of Star Wars. More like tracing, slight altering, and coloring in. And I could dig out my Star Wars coloring book. All I did with that was coloring it in, but it doesn't look too bad if I do say so.

I'll just have to see if I can find that. :D

<edit> And by 'joining in', I was referring to this social thread.

3. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    That too. :p

4. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I have actually pulled out a pencil, and what little paper I have right now (index card) and started a sketch, and it's just as bad as usual. I actually got a simple face drawn, but the arms and legs...YIKES!

I really don't do people.

Buildings, I can do. Square buildings. :p Nice straight edges. Easy.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Welcome, Rocie! I am not talented like these folks either but I am currently the Temporary Moderator here.
    Feel free to post your efforts once you have something that you like. I am sure the artists here will give you some constructive criticism! :)

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Rocie!

Don't feel discouraged about posting here just because you feel "you don't have talent." There's no such thing as that. Like jace said, no matter what ability level you're at, you're still welcome. Besides, we're just a bunch of folks here who all love art. And we'd love to see what you have to offer. So, take your time and when you have something to share, don't hesitate to post it. :)

7. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I've actually picked up a pencil and drawn a lightsaber handle I've designed. It's on lined paper, so I'm going to re-draw it on blank paper before posting it.

I do appreciate all the encouragement here. I needed to get out and get new friends that help me feel better about myself, and so far, you'll do. :D ;)

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Actually, you don't really have to worry about transferring onto blank paper. You could always post it as is with the lined paper. More times than not, when you try to redraw something exactly, it ends up weaker than the original. Mostly due to the fact that you try too hard to get it exact or you're in a rush. Now, this may not apply to you, but I'm just speaking from experience. ;) Then again, if you want to do that, go right ahead. More power to you. :)

I do appreciate all the encouragement here. I needed to get out and get new friends that help me feel better about myself, and so far, you'll do.

Glad we could help out! :D

9. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    In this case, the drawing on lined was a bit rushed. I know I can do a better job with it. :D The lines are off and the curves could be better.

Perhaps I'll redraw and post both. Let the users be the judge. After all, often a person is their own worse critic. ;)

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Then in that case, go for it! And please do post both images. I would love to see the comparison. :D

After all, often a person is their own worse critic

Yup, you got that right. ;)

11. ShrunkenLightDontDie

ShrunkenLightDontDie Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2004
    Yeah, post 'em both! Glad you're having fun... I always find art to be very therapeutic myself :)

12. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I can't wait for some images. :D

13. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I've been a bit busy on another project the last while, so I haven't gotten to the re-draw, but I have scanned in the couple of things I have now. I'll start up a thread for it now. Just don't say I didn't warn you. ;) :p

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey, they can't be that bad. I can't wait to see them. :)

15. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Probably better than the stuff I posted. :p

*uses drawing to whap OPPM*

16. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I have 2 pics posted. A link, anyway. The thread is "you asked for it" :p

You can check them out if you'd like. The saber, I'm going to revamp a bit.

17. SkyWook_Of_Xmas_Past

SkyWook_Of_Xmas_Past Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2003
    Nice ones. BTW, I dare to post a few PhotoShop pics of mine:
    [image=http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Trainstop.gif] [image=http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Urban.jpg] [image=http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Moon.3.gif]

18. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    If you want to see "real talent" blooming, check out these drawings done by my 3-year-old yesturday. Tori's 'Art'

I admit one needs to look past the scribbles and look at the overall shapes, but if you look at them big and with your creative minds, you can see King Arthur's Throne in the one labled 'Camelot', and the scene in ROTJ where Vader is watching Palpatine zap Luke on the 2nd Death Star in the one labled 'Star Wars'.

And, BTW, he told me they were Camelot and Star Wars with no prompting by me. :D

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Start 'em out early... :)

20. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Hey, all I did was give him the paper and crayons. With Camelot, I picked the colors, but he wanted more for the other one. Just left the box open on that one. He took it from there.

But, you see what I'm talking about? That Vader shape is perfect. :D

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Cute kid....

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Skywook: Very nice landscape renderings you got there. I especially like the one of the city. Were they done for anything in particular or just for fun?

Aww, he's so cute, Rocie. Nothing like starting them out early. But I do see what you mean about the basic shapes. I can even take it a step further and point out his use of color to portray the different things. ;) I forsee that he'll be a great artist! :D

23. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Color to portray things, like a black jagged line being the lightning? :D

He did another pic today that I think is a Ninja Turtle. The one that wears purple. I'll add that one to the collection. Just start up a Tori's Art Gallery on-line here. ;)

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Color to portray things, like a black jagged line being the lightning?

Opps. [face_blush]

I thought that was Luke lying there. It's weird how we interpret different things. :p

25. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    LOL! That stuff is funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.