main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The other social thread was beginning to get shabby and show it's wear. It ranges back a few years now and I thought it's best to start up a new one to reflect some of the changes around here. ;)

Come on in and discuss things to your heart's content with fellow artists and art fans. Everyone's welcome, so set up a canvas and join in on the fun! :)

Just to start things off, what's everyone's favorite medium to work in or favorite medium to view(digital, paint, charcoal etc...)?

For me, I love working in just plain graphite pencil and when I'm in the mood, colored pencil is nice too. ;)

2. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey everybody!

YAY! First post in the Social Thread!

3. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    New social thread! My favourite medium to work in is digital? and to view everything. I got PS7 recently and loved it! By the way, this is a thread of my art at another forum: Here

HS29 EDIT: Fixed your link. :)

4. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I just use plain old sketch paper and colored pencils. I also use regular pencils. And by the way, HanSolo29, that eraser I discovered that erases colored pencil(to a point) is a Sanford Artgum eraser. :D

I'll probably be drawing a bit more at work because they took away internet access on one computer, and I'm lucky to get here on the other one. Darn that.

I can't even get google! And the smilies, and even the posted art images don't show up. And clicking on links to see the images comes up with "this is not on your whitelist". :(

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Cool--a new Social Thread! Nice, HS29! =D=

My favorite working media are heavyweight, fine-surface drawing paper, good ol' graphite pencils of varying hardness, a kneadable eraser and "smudging" with fingers or tortillons (rolled paper stubs). I've worked with pencils almost exlusively since I began drawing, and they seem to be most suited to my needs. As to viewing: everything! I love to see digital art, painting (am awed by those who can paint...), computer-generated art...all of it! Style is such an individual thing--you can see it in virtually every medium--and it's what makes looking at other's work so much fun! No two artists will render an image in quite the same way, and the uniqueness of style is what's magical! The Art Class thread is a classic example--very, very cool!

FF

6. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yey new social thread, hopefully I can be a bit more active than I was in the last one. :p My favourite medium is digital, I just love the 'undoo' button. :D

7. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Great idea, HS!!

I have the most "control" over graphite, but I have the most fun with acrylic paints. Prismacolors are too tedious for me these days, and Digital coloring is fun, but... well... tedious. ;) With painting (really acrylic or oils) you can really flow, abandoning the detail reserved for pencils and digital media. I'm presently in a flow kinda mood, so that's where I find my fun.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm happy you decided to make a new social thread. Great job! :)

You know, reading everyone's answers to the questions about media made something occur to me: I find that I associate certain media with certain artists here and when I think of, say, HS29 or FalconFan, I have a mental image of a graphite drawing in my head prior to even looking at their latest pieces. I mean, beyond knowing what their 'style' is, I specifically think of graphite when I think of their work. Just an observation in my crazy mind..... [face_mischief]

As for me, I really enjoy combining medias and will sometimes utilize charcoal/pastels with pencils, ink and acrylic paint. Whatever it takes to achieve the look I'm after, I guess. So it's hard to nail down a favorite...but I guess I'd say right now I've been in a predominantly colored pencil on Bristol board type of phase.

I love to view paintings and graphite drawings more than anything else, but I think every type of media has its own beauty and I really do enjoy them all.

Rocie, that stinks about the internet access at your job. Curses!

9. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, but I can still read the internet at work.
    And looking at the pics at home. ;)

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I used to love working in graphite pencil - I did lots of tonal observational drawings. I liked the control, plus I found colour tricky. Some people have a natural feel for it early on, I didn't.

I love looking at rough sketches. Much more interesting than seeing polished work, especialy as you get older and technique seems less important than character.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, this thread sure took off fast. Lots of things to respond to, so here we go! :)

Hey, Corran! Glad you could join in on the fun! ;)

Thanks for sharing the link with us, SkyWookiee. That's some of your best art right there. BTW, what type of language/script is that board in? Or maybe it's my browser, but all the text was showing up like, "%A@^" or something similar. :p

And by the way, HanSolo29, that eraser I discovered that erases colored pencil(to a point) is a Sanford Artgum eraser.

Artgum, huh? Thanks for the info, Rocie! I'll be sure to make a mental note of it. ;)

As for your internet connection - that really stinks. I'm having some computer problems of my own, but not quite like that. Well, I guess the good thing is that you still have a connection at all. ;)

Hey there, FalconFan! I agree with you entirely on what you said about everyone's art and styles being different. I think that's what makes this forum so special. ;)

Glad to see you in here, Odj and Cheveyo! :D

With painting (really acrylic or oils) you can really flow, abandoning the detail reserved for pencils and digital media.

Yea, you can really flow with paints - that's what I hate about them. They get everywhere. :p Although, I better keep my mouth shut. I currently have a three week assignment that is solely an acrylic painting. [face_worried]

You know, reading everyone's answers to the questions about media made something occur to me: I find that I associate certain media with certain artists here and when I think of, say, HS29 or FalconFan, I have a mental image of a graphite drawing in my head prior to even looking at their latest pieces.

Obi-Dawn that is so true. I could probably go through everyone that frequents here and associate a certian media with them. But, I won't cause it'll take too long. :p

Hey there, soits! It's great to see you! :D

12. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    i am mainly and airbrush artist. it has been my tool of the trade for the past 11 years. i am a freelance illustrator and i have just finished my first professional gig. i will be sure to tell you more about it as soon as i can, but it is still in approval stage. i have been freelancing on my own for the past two years. painting anything form t-shirts to cars and anything in between.

i have been posting images in the fan art museum for a few years now but i havn't posted since last summer. have not had much time for star wars until now.

with this last job i started sketching again...like riding a bike it all came flooding back. so i have doing a little here and a little there on my own. i am glad to get to know any artists no matter what the skill level. i am also gald i found this forum.

13. SkyWookiee

Jul 26, 2003
    Thanks, HanSolo29! PS7 is inspiration within itself. The board language is Russian, and one of the main reasons I joined it is Protv_Scar, an artist who mostly draws for her and her friends' MUCKs. She invited me there, and her thread is here.

14. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Page 1! How's it goin everybody?

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah, Russian. That explains some things. :p Thanks for that other link!

Hey, Darth_Deception! :)

16. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    no one feels like being social?

17. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I feel like sleeping. I've been up since 7AM. [face_tired]

18. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Hey all,

I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi to everybody! :)

I've been busy through out the past months, but I plan on posting some new work soon!

On topic:
    I use a mechanical pencil or lead holder on just regular copy paper for most of my drawings. First using a non photo blue pencil to sketch the pic out, then using either H or HB lead to clean it up.

Off topic:
    Did anyboday catch that FF movie trailer? I think it's headed for the same movie bin the Hulk and Daredevil are in. Lousy. On the other hand Sin City looks awesome! Like Frank Miller's comics have come to life on the big screen! :D

EDIT: Sorry, FF = the Fantastic Four movie! ;)

Later,
    DZ

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Glad to see you back, DarthZemog!

Hmm...FF? For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on that. This may sound stupid, but what's that stand for? :p

As for getting up at 7am, I'm not too far off from that. I have to get up at 8am. That's WAY too early to get up on a Saturday morning. And Saturdays are usually the only days I have to sleep in. :(

20. SkyWookiee

Jul 26, 2003
    I updated my thread there - more pictures.

21. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Hey thought I'd join in!

I love using most medium. Being quite a lazy person myself, (actually quite is an understatement!)I go with greyscale so usually its the trusty pencils. Except I have a thing against coloring pencils now. Most people think thats strange, but I assure you, you try coloring an A3 sheet of paper with incredibly detailed realistic drawings of objects fully colored in the space of a week knowing that if you mess it up you're gunna recieve a pants grade in your art GCSE, and then you will understand my pain.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get that outa my system. ;)
    I heard someone mention the 'undo' button a while back, gotta agree with 'em there. That's why I usually turn to digital nowadays lol!

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Esira! :)

I'm just really excited right now! My cousin surprised me tonight with a Wacom stylus/tablet for my birthday. I hinted at wanting one in the past, but I had no idea he was gonna actually act on it! :D

Now all I have to do is get Photoshop working... [face_frustrated]

23. SkyWookiee

Jul 26, 2003
    Congratulations! *envies*

24. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Wow thats great, tablets are really useful, digital is so much fun to draw with. Like you draw a really great picture of someone and youre really happy with it then you notice that one eye is slightly too high, on paper you would have to erase it but on photoshop you just move it to where you want it and shade in the gap! I love it!!

I gotta admit I'm really lucky cuz my dad works for an IT firm and when one day I hinted at wanting a tablet he suddenly turned up with one the next day. We already had photoshop but untill then I'd never used it, but that was three years ago when I was twelve, so then it was quite a daunting program to use, so complicated, it still confuses me!

But now I couldn't live without either of them! :)
    My god look at me ramble on! Sorry 'bout that lol.

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm just starting to explore what this thing can do. And I really LOVE it so far. :D

Everything would be great if my computer wasn't messed up, though. Weird things have been happening to it for about a month now and I'm scared. :(

Reckless_Corellian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.