1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Jan 31, 2005.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I was thinking of some things we could do to increase traffic here

You know how fanfiction has its own section, it would be really good if the same could be done for fanart. I'm sure lot of people in other parts of the boards like fanfic and lit would love to see art. I once stumbled across a thread which people were trying to find EU art, they don't seem to hear of this place. It just seem to me it would see much more traffic if it was more... visible

wow.. that was longer than I expected sorry ^_____^' what do U think?

though I think a lot of people are busy this time of year... I am, all the deadlines are at once! [face_hypnotized] I have many all-nighters ahead [face_worried] .

2. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That is mostly my fault. I just haven't had the time to really sit down and try to assemble it. I know odj said he was originally going to do it, but I haven't seen him around lately. If someone else wants to take up the reigns and try to assemble it, go right ahead. :)

Kiyuuchan, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're suggesting. Are you looking to include links to outside forums to get more traffic or something else entirely? Could you elaborate a bit?
  3. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I meant that fan art being under fan activities is hard to find and maybe it could be a section of its own?
    I don't explian very well, sorry.
  4. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    No, it's okay. :)

I'm not sure if Fan Art would warrant it's own category. We only have one forum dedicated to Fan Art and other forums(like Fan Fic) that have their own separate category have multiple forums. I don't think we generate enough traffic to split off into multiple forums.

Although, you did mention working out something to get people more aware in both Lit and Fan Fic. A project that combined the talents of the folks here in Fan Art and the people in Fan Fic was in the works, but that's been dormant since the summer. I can give you a run-down of the details if you wish and see if we can revive it.
  5. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I understand. Fanfic is a lot bigger.

It was just an idea, no worries :)
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I appreciate the suggestions, though. I'm always open to feedback and I'm always looking for ways to improve the forum. So, if you have anymore ideas, please don't hesitate to share. :)
  7. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh that would be great, guys!

[face_peace]
  8. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I go to London tomorrow ! To see art :)
    Yay another college trip, and all my projects were handed in today so for two weeks

.... I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !! [face_hypnotized]
    or so they promise us :p

have a good day everyone
    I must pack ;)
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    London, wow? Very nice!

Have a great trip and stay safe! :)
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Have fun!! I love London.
  11. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    thanks guys ^__^

we had a wonderful time ! If U go to London soon I recommend Tate Modern. The exhibitions are so cool
    there is a talc powder room which was very fun, and come out completely white !

12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Never been there (I don't really like modern art) but the National Gallery has some great stuff.
  13. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Today I do my second grade for karate... and pass *sigh* I wear orange belt now.
    Five hours of training... I'm very tired now

just realised christmas is so close and I still have shopping !
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Congratulations!! [:D} I'll bet :p

by the way, when you were in London did you have time to visit the Tower?
  15. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sadly not this time, its an art trip :(
    I've been before, and seen the dungeons too. I like them.
    I remember walking through a doorway and a guillotine comes down after you
    ... I was so scared it took ages to get me to walk back through the door !
  16. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] I spent two hours there, but we didn't get to see the whole thing :(
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    All this talk about London has me thinking that maybe I should consider making that trip across the ocean one of these days... [face_thinking]
  18. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    London is real nice, been there a few times visiting museums. And HanSolo29 if you go that way, cross the Northsea to Holland. Has some real nice museums too. And this month it's Star Wars in the Space Expo in Noordwijk. And they are doing that during the school vacations like now with Christmas and with Easter.
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    If you have the chance, do it. It's so worth it.
  20. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    If anyone decides to go to London, look me up... I live very close !

My ideal place to live if I get the chance is Paris... the people and lifestyle there is so nice

I've always wanted to travel around, like stay in one place for a few months then move on
    well I must get a high-pay job first ;)

21. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I have some new ideas for the forum !

How about artist awards like 'most improved artist of the month' or 'artist most enriching the GFFA' -- the most fanart !

it could be maybe every three months or something and whoever wins the title could get colors until the next time ?

well these are just my thoughts ^___^ even if higher-ups wont allow colors for that long we could still just do a community thing. Also there could be nice awards for supporting other artists.

so what do you think ? [face_mischief]
  22. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Ooo...I actually really like that idea. It's something a little different from the Fan Art challenge and of course, everybody loves community building activities. ;)

Although, I agree with you about having VIPship for that long. If we do it that way, I can see having them for a week at a time, but anything beyond that is stretching it. But of course, that's something we can work out in the fine details.

Do you have any other examples of categories we can use?
  23. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    If you wanted to go full-out, you could have best landscape, best non-human, best comedic piece, best piece involving lightsabers, etc. Or you could rotate every time if you're going for a monthly thing, just switch them every month and do a couple or something.
  24. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    those are good ideas, we should do this !

Although i was thinking more general stuff maybe like best scene, that would be best illustration of a scene

actually maybe scenes for one of the fan art challenges ? It's very open to interpretation and we could get people to put in for what scenes they want to see... and we be enriching the EU at the same time !

I came across a lit thread which had a very good idea. It ask what characters/scenes you want to see that there is not many or any images for and artists reply. I replied to it... I would link it but it was a loooong time ago

It might double as request thing as long as it wasn't fanfic or rp.
  25. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That would definitely be something to consider if we do this every couple of months. If we had all those categories doing it monthly, I think it would be a struggle. It takes time to create the artwork and not everyone updates once a month.

One of the categories for the Fan Art Challenge has always been a scene or location. Unfortunately, it's not a popular topic and most people pass it by, going for the more recognizable ones like characters and vehicles. Once we reboot the Challenge in January, maybe we can try out a month or two just doing scenes and locations to flesh out this area.

Hmm...not a bad idea. I would say send a link anyway. There may be a chance to kick start the thread and get some new ideas flowing.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider