main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    My mother has Bipolar... she has never had help because she refuse to have it.
    I'll admit I don't get on with her because I can't understand the way she acts, even though it is not her fault. But it is hard to see your parent acting like a child, and then having to deal with it.

2. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I used to fight with my mom (argue, not physically fight!), and after I was treated, I began to see how she acted and how it was just like I acted when I was not treated. So I started to understand and it made it easier for me to deal with her. Like when she gets manic (she gets really mad and is always right when she is manic), I know to just leave her alone and not confront her, because that is what works with me. And it works with her as well. I have told her friends who ask, "What is wrong with Sharon?" that they need to just let it go, she will be fine soon, it has to pass. And yeah, we both act like a child at times. With bipolar, your emotions take over your ability to bbe rational. It is actually something they have mapped in the brain. When the prefrontal lobe (the emotion part of the brain) gets overactive, another part of the brain that controls rational behavior and thinking becomes underactive in bipolar people during mania. So, yeah, we act like emotional 3-year-olds because we do not know how to control them at that moment. And, a nice side effect of bipolar is creativity. Mom is creative, even though she is not artistic. I am more artistic than creative. :p We teach at the same school (I come in as she is about to leave) and she gives me good ideas and I draw them.

Anyway, Good afternoon all. I am off to work now. I have to leave a little early because I have to drive through the path of that tornado we had here in Murfreesboro (Tennessee) on Good Friday. What a mess. I will be trying to give blood...there is a drive at work today. Hehe! Later!

3. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    I know... she's always right *sigh* no one can ever convince my mom that her actions are wrong, even when it deeply hurts other people as she has often. Including me. Sometimes I really hate her for what she has done to our family. She pretty much tore us apart two years ago.

I think I'm affected by it more than I realise at times. Just writing this is making me cry.

I am glad you can get the help you need. And I hope your relationship is better. [:D]

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Let me give you both a big hug before I go on working for university & school again.

[:D]

5. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks to you both. :)

And I know my signature says I will not be around social threads much for a little while, but I WILL be here. I like it here. :D

I just have a lot on my plate and I have decided not to give my opinion in other places for a little while. I do not seem to be wanted around when I do that. :p

I have 3 masters here and a fanfic, and 2 tasks to do. Phew!!!!

6. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    *tries the difficult task to go to bed now after her duties for her part-time studies are mostly done*

Nighty night, Jaden!

7. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Goodnight Azure :)

8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    *had a busy time until now and will go on having a busy time until next week Sunday*

@};-

9. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    I have such a busy day to morrow T____T...

First the dentist :_| then I have to watch someone put up blinds on a window, and clean my house.
    Then on to my nan's to cut her grass and walk her dog...

finally, we are going out for dinner because it is my nan's birthday... I think I'll need it after that ^__~
    hopefully there will be time to wash my hair... I'm not counting on it T____T

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005

Sweet K, I know all about a lack of time and the fight to keep up a social life plus a private life.

Please hang on!

11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Hello. Not sure if any of you will remember me but I am back! :)

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hi, Anakin!

I remember you and welcome back! :)

Reckless_Corellian likes this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    *also says hi, even though being tired and being dangerously adicted to this Charlaine Harris audio book recordings about gorgeous vampires*

This is why my husband and I are seldom on-line in the evening these days. We just lie on the sofa, cuddeling and listening to gorgeous stories about vampires and other subernatural beings.

*gets no painting done either this way*

But at the end of the school year the kiddos are nuts and things have been more than stressful with university recently.

14. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000

Thanks. I uh posted some my latest fan artwork if anyone is interested.

:)

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    This thread doesn't seem to be very busy.

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, I actually have not been very social on-line recently, but in RL with old study pals, friends from teenage times and family issues.

I also belong to those who are having hard times due to the financial crisis, but I do not think that the Dutch queen did refere to me personally in her speech. But well, I love my husband and we have the support of my in-laws. I just doubt more and more that I choose the right profession. And if I did, I am in the wrong country.

See, moaning again and not being very artistic recently. So no wonder that I end up on the boards very selsom... [face_tired]

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all,

I was thinking about this for a while now and after speaking to AzureAngel briefly over PM, I wanted to conduct a bit of a survey to see what people think:

Would anyone be interested in participating if the Fan Art Challenge were to start up again?

There was a huge lapse in participation and that resulted in me shelving the idea for a couple of months in an effort to keep things 'fresh.' I think enough time has passed that we can go ahead and give it another try and with the inclusion of non-SW fan art to the forum, I think we have a chance of getting more people interested. Or if anyone has another idea completely, let me know!

So, what do you think?

18. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am interested in returning. I guess the issue for me is finding time between chaos but I am up for a challenge.

For suggestions on other ideas... I keep thinking of teamwork. Working together with other on something. Just a though...

19. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm back, as well. And I think the challenge is a good idea, but I'm not sure that one every month is going to work... we don't really have enough people hanging around here for that. Well, as far as I know, anyway. I'd suggest having one every quarter - spring, summer, etc - to start with and see how that goes. If it proves popular, you can always add more.

One thing that has occurred to me is starting some kind of advice/resource thread. This has probably been done before, but I'm not seeing anything like that active right now, so yeah. I've found that people are often very interested in the process behind a piece of art, and I made a tutorial a while ago which was quite popular as well. So I was thinking, some kind of thread where maybe people take turns outlining their process, or we go through different media and discuss and share advice on them, or we get various people to run little tutorials or mini-workshops. I've actually considered doing something like that on my own, but it'd be a lot better if others got involved and it might generate more interest as well.

But that, too, depends on how many people are around and interested. Lately, I've been seeing the same three or four names crop up in the threads, and not much else...

20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Quarterly challenges does allow room to breathe and could allow more works and participants. We could have mini activites separate of the main challenges as well to give a different options but numbers/interest could be an issue for the mini ones.

Advice and Resources thread, plus the tools and techniques could be put together.

Writing about the processes of how a piece was made... sometimes I feel like I am blabbering and that others won't be interest so I cut down to the core of what I had originally said. Also don't want to give too much that takes away from their own interpretation as well. I guess it is a balance to find or I'm thinking too much over nothing. It is late where I am at the moment :p.

There is something I was considering for my thread is to talk about certain themes in an essay/commentary style. One I had in mind is the evolution of a character. From original concept to their growth at this point in time. It probably sounds more fanfic/rpg related but visuals are an important element too. Probably more suited for my blog instead but I've notice that there are some writers here that might be interested too and to discuss ideas.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    challenges yes. I am interested and to make it broader, let cross-overs and other fandoms participate.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! [:D]

At this point in time, I think it's safe to say that the Fan Art Challenge will be coming back in some capacity. I am liking the idea of a quarterly challenge, so expect it to be something along those lines. A major issue for me throughout the whole process was coming up with a topic that was exciting and new for each month. I can't tell you how many times I simply sat here staring at the computer screen as I tried to come up with something. Maybe spreading the challenges out over a few months will really help with that, but if not, I can't stress this enough - if you have an idea, please let me know!

I couldn't agree more!

We actually used to have both a resource thread and an "art class" thread, where folks were given an assignment and then at the time of the deadline, a thorough critique would be conducted. The problem was once again, not enough feedback and very little activity until eventually, both of them fell away and died. The lapse in activity is a problem board-wide at the moment and not much we can really do about it. With that said, I am willing to give these threads another chance. In fact, I've been wanting to get around to creating new ones for a while now. The whole thread index needs to be updated and all the new threads pertaining to non-SW art need to be created. I suspect a lot of changes will be going on around here in the near future. ;)

Hmm...that's an interesting idea. Did you have anything in mind? Maybe some kind of collaborative comic/poster...something like that? Perhaps something with fan fic where an author writes a short story and we illustrate it.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, but I'll try my best. Are you talking about original characters and the process you went through in creating them? If so, I can see that working from an artistic standpoint(reviewing why he looks the way he does, why he's wearing a certain article of clothing, etc.). An overall back story could probably work as well, I'm just not sure where that would belong in the forum.

23. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Jedi_Corin_Daan Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2010
    That would be fun. I'm new and love doing SW fan art.

24. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'm more of an art admirer than an artist so I probably wouldn't participate in a challenge, but as for ideas - maybe something with creatures? I love Star Wars creatures but I don't tend to see too many of them around here.

I like the sound of both those threads. I think it's very interesting to know the process behind the artwork and I can use all the help I can get on techniques and how-to.

I love this idea!

25. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    As a writer and artist both, I love the idea of combining the two! I've illustrated stories before, both my own and other people's, and I really enjoyed it. It's cool to try and make characters and scenes come to life like that. Covers can be fun to do as well, maybe we could do something like that as well, for variety.

I like the character creation idea as well. Either going through the process (explaining how/why you do it), or collaborating with someone to just do it, or a thread for discussing it... I don't know.

I don't see the problem with combining writing and drawing on this forum, just for the record. I mean, the writers on the fanfic board often post pictures (thinking of AzureAngel's graphic novels, especially!) so I think we could do the same here. Not full stories, obviously, but things like character bios/descriptions or excerpts to help explain the meaning of the artwork could work pretty well. I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.