1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29, Jan 31, 2005.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. CPL_Macja Force Ghost

star 5
    I have to say that when I used Macs I preferred them for graphics and other creative persuits. But I prefer my PC for gaming, word processing, and web-coding. Lets just say I wish I could afford a Mac for my FanArt and still have my PC for my FanFics/RPs.

On that note I had a question. Does anyone know of an easy technique of taking your hand drawn line art and coloring them in Gimp or PhotoShop?
  2. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, when I color in Photoshop, after I heavily edit and adjust my linework so as to be entirely black and white (if you're into digital inking), I go down into the Layers palette and right-click the background (the linework you just scanned). Select "Promote layer from background." Rename it if you want, I usually don't. Then, in the drop-down menu just beneath the "Layers" tab, select "Multiply." This will change your blending mode.

Now, when you go to color, make a new layer and drag it down so that it is beneath your linework layer. Use that layer to color on and make new layers for each shade. Make sure that your linework layer is always at the top, and color only on the layers beneath it. This way, you won't affect your linework.
  3. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    What Trak said. I also learned to lock my lineart layer so there's no room for error. I found that as I work and add more and more layers over time, I sometimes lose track of what layer I'm actually working on and I'll accidentally draw on the wrong one. I did this with my lineart layer one time, which proved to be very problematic since I didn't realize it until I did a fair amount of work. With my technique, I also delete my lineart layer when I'm done, so I was pretty screwed. I was not happy.

As for actual technique, I like to use a large, round brush and start with a low opacity. I then start blending my colors over top of each other, just like if you were painting on a canvas. Here is an example of this technique at work. This is a work in progress that I've been working on off and on for the past couple months, but it illustrates the different opacity levels and how I'm gradually building up the layers of color. You can also see my lineart(which will be deleted once the piece is complete) in the background using the same settings that Trak was explaining above:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/raiders_painting_sample.jpg]

And here's what it currently looks like with the lineart removed:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/raiders_painting_sample_noline.jpg]
  4. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I was using my Xoom when I wrote that so I didn't have my Mac in front of me. I meant the backspace key. There is a del key but it acts like the PC backspace key. If you want the Mac del key to act like a PC del key I need to push fn del. But I had to Google that to figure it out. Also the mouse came only set up for left clicking. I had to Google how to program it to do right clicking. I still can't figure out how to save anything into a specific file in my documents file. It doesn't give me that option when I save.
  5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Ahh, okay...that makes more sense! :p

And ugh...the one click mouse. That's the first thing that went with my Mac. I quickly replaced it with one that has left and right click as well as a scrolling wheel that actually works. I can't fathom how anyone can function with the factory-made mouse that comes with the computer itself. I wanted to throw the thing across the room after the first 5 minutes.
  6. CPL_Macja Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks for the Photoshop tips. I will have to test them out tonight.
  7. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey, I must be doing something right...somebody stole my art work to advertise a Mark Hamill visit to an expo!!! One of my first photoshops
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That's your first step to becoming a professional artist - when you're good enough to have people steal your stuff! :p

In all seriousness, though, that's not cool at all. I had something of mine stolen a couple of months back and it wasn't fun. I just wonder what goes through someone's head to make them do something like that. It's one thing if they like the artwork and ask permission to use it on a website, but it's another thing entirely when they swipe something of yours and try to pass it off as their own.

Now, in your case, I know they're not trying to pass it off as their own, but the least they could've done was given you credit. It's your design, after all.
  9. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    When it comes to image theft... I see it as flattery, ie: good enough to steal. However, that's only in regards to finding my stuff on other sites. Now, when it comes to image theft for promotional use... I'd be tempted to contact the PR department of the convention. In fact, that's what you should do; contact them. You don't need to be threatening or anything, but inquiring why they did not give you credit, let alone simply ask for permission for the use of the image, would hopefully get them nervous. If anything, they'll know you're on to them.
  10. Evil Incarnate Force Ghost

star 6
    If they just straight up take something of mine and claim it as their own, I don't give a damn. But if they take an image I've produced and changed to fit their needs, good on them. I'm glad that someone appreciated my artwork enough to improve upon it.

Evil.
  11. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    A few times I have found some my artworks were being referenced/linked or used on some sites/forums. While it can be taken as a form of flattery, it does leave a bad taste in your mouth when the nature of some of the sites were unsavoury/questionable.
  12. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    If it was original art work I would be upset, but it is a photomanip and I got all the original photos from either movie screen snags or friends. Like most Star Wars photomanipulations the source photos weren't legally mine to use, so it would be a bit hypocritical for me to complain about theft.

It could be worse, there was a lady over at DeviantArt who found her art work in a 6 page spread in a European magazine. She complained to the editor and he said "We thought anything found on the internet was freeware." They didn't even mention her name in the article about digital art. That would really irritate me.

What would really make me furious is if a person takes your drawing off of DeivantArt and then comes over to a site like this and claims it is their drawing. I have heard of it happening. Why a person would enjoy paise not deserved is beyond my understanding.
  13. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Some people are really, really bold!

:mad:
  14. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    There is something I had wanted to find out everyone's view on, I'm not sure if many had seen this thread but it is relating to the Fan Art Request thread. Given that the move is coming soon, I thought it might be best to find out what everyone's current thoughts are regarding it and a chance for everyone to have a say about it's future.
  15. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    It looks like a good idea to me. While I've been lately avoiding requests like the plague (on SWFanon, I may start discussing commission rates), I may actually some day consider taking up a request perhaps. So, I'm all for leaving options open.
  16. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I understand what you mean. I am unable to take on requests at this point in time, I am working on several artworks, balancing between completing existing works in progress and starting new ones. It gets slow when DRL cuts into that time.

You have just made me think of something for the structure of the request thread; Categories... so that we know what type of request it is, whether character, landscape, vehicles or misc which would cover things from book covers to tattoo designs....
  17. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    I am bad with dead lines, too many RL stuff going on.

But to keep the request thread and splitting it into various options sounds a good idea. This way the ´client´ and the artist find each other way easier.
  18. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    It's starting to feel like that deep breath before the plunge.

It won't be long now before the move will take place. I hope everyone has everything they need packed and are ready.
  19. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I'm not ready!

But at this point, I think I'm just going to plunge right out into the deep end. Grimby said midday board time, so I guess we have a few more hours! This will probably be my last post on this version of the board, so...

See everyone on the other side!
  20. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
  21. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    After 5 months...LOL!

It feels good to be back, though! :D
  22. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    5 months a bit overdue but everything is looking new... a blend of both the old and new styles.

I agree! It does feel great to be back! :D
  23. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    So my thread is there, but none of the links work. And previously my thread was locked for lack of use and when I got it unlocked I could no longer edit the first post so I could update the title. The Mod said that could not be fixed for some reason. Also my Imageshack account dumped most of my links since I didn't opt to pay for more space, so my old thread probably has all screwed up links even if the bugs do get fixed. So my question is, is it okay to just start a new thread?
  24. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I'll answer some of these issues just in case others were wondering the same too. With the old system, when a Mod unlocks a thread, the permission to edit the first post/thread name becomes locked to only Mods. That was why you didn't have the permission to edit the first post/thread name.
    The link code we had on the old system is different from the new one (link vs url), hence the scrambled links but the addresses aren't lost and it will be fixed.

It has been a few years since your last one was updated and with the issue you have had with Imageshack, you may start a new art thread.
  25. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    So... we're back. Now to see how the move affected my thread and screwed it up...
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider