main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    We have those big yellow and black ones too. I'm not sure if this is their official name, but we call them garden spiders. They're evil looking little buggers.

I'm getting creeped out just talking about this stuff! :p

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I found a big yellow-and-black one the other day. Got up real close to watch it, too. Bugs kept getting caught in its web, so I'd watch the spider go over, wrap the bugs up, then go back to the middle of the web.

Then, last night, I found a tiny black spider on my bedroom door. Dunno where it is now. The spiders in my apartment pull that disappearing act all the time, but it's more of an appearing act. I look at a blank wall, nothing there. I turn around, there's a spider. I look again, the spider is gone. There are a bunch of spiders in my apartment, but they don't bother me, so I don't bother them.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Those yellow and blacks reminds me of the Skultulas from The Legend of Zelda.

I've had a red-back spider crawl over my hand when I was very little, those ones are poisonous. It didn't bite me but since then I've never liked spiders.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been bitten by spiders a few times. I think I may have been bitten by one some time this week, as when I woke up one morning, there was a bite on my hand. It didn't itch like a mosquito bite, and it had a central part that scabbed over. The redness and swelling went away for the most part.

And yet, I still say "hello" to the cute little jumping spider who lives on my front door, hunting for food on the window blinds. He's been there for months.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope the bite wasn't too serious, did you get it checked out?

Hmm...I haven't got spiders like that at home but I've got quite a few lil lizards roaming about in the garden. They are pretty cute and are probably snacking on the insects and spiders at the moment. One time one found it's way inside and I had to carefully help it back out.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It doesn't seem serious. It didn't hurt, and it itched a little bit. Though, I've been dealing with digestive upset this week and the onset coincided with finding that bite. Other than that, I feel fine. Most spiders are relatively harmless to humans. At least most of the spiders around here. The eight-legged squatters in my apartment I know are harmless, in that their venom isn't very potent, if at all. There are some Pennsylvanian spiders that can cause ill effects, but I don't know what bit me. I dunno if it was even a spider!

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    There are lots of spiders now in my garden, big ones too with their cross on the back.

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Indeed they are, because I cleaned off all window fronts on Friday and guess what I found today on Sunday? Yes, all fat 14 beasts are back.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, whatever ill effects I was suffering from whatever spider had bitten me are now officially gone. I feel much better, aside from the changing weather aggravating my cough.

And my butterfly emerged from its chrysalis last night! :D

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Nice. I fear when I am off to the mountains next Thursday and come back late on Sunday, there will be spider webs all over the place again.

11. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I just wanted to drop in and say HI!
    I haven't been here for a really LOOOOOng time! so long I no longer have the email account for my old username.

I hope to post some art up soon, some of you might recognize some of my older stuff but I have a lot of new things that I haven't shared here before. I am also looking forward to chatting with old friends and meet some new ones!

TC for now!

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hi! Welcome! :D

Very much looking forward to seeing your art! Also, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was your old username?

Reckless_Corellian likes this.
  13. JediHall

Oct 16, 2012
    well I usually go by JediSeeker1, however someone has already taken that name (it was probably myself)
    but before that I went by TheOnlyJediPrincess ...I think that is correct.

14. JediHall

Oct 16, 2012
    I curious to know what process people go through when they work on piece of art? Are there mediums that you prefer to use more then others? do people like to experiment with new techniques, and would they like to share successes or failure stories while experimenting?

Lately I have been playing a lot with textures, creating my own in painter and creating some on paper then scanning them into the computer.

I have also been experimenting with painting an image and then scanning the painting into Photoshop and adding the textures I created.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent question!

With larger pieces, I always start out the same - with a loose sketch to determine placement, lighting, composition, etc. With sketch cards, I pretty much do them all on the fly, but when I have time to do larger pieces, I really like to plan them out. These initial sketches are by no means neat or tidy, but they get the job done. Once the sketch is done, I scan it into Photoshop and fix things in there until I'm happy with the final composition (the wonders of digital technology, you no longer have to do this step with tracing paper and numerous revisions :p). From there, I start in with the final drawing and then take that into Photoshop and color everything in there. I should really highlight this process with the current piece I'm working on (I've only started the sketch stage, so it's not too late!)

I've found myself moving more and more away from traditional media and swapping that for digital. When I do work traditionally, it's all Copic markers and colored pencil. I do the occasional oil painting, but for the most part, it's too much hassle. All my painting is now done in Photoshop. :p

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I start on all my projects the same way: loose sketch to determine pose, placement, etc. I don't determine shading with that loose sketch, unless it is a difficult lighting style, and for those, I will even use photo references. Having a bunch of toys, a flashlight, and a camera phone comes in handy. For inked and pencil drawings, I use the same techniques: loose sketch, followed by initial linework, followed by fleshing it out and tightening everything up.. If I ink the image, I apply the inks last and further revise the linework. If I do the inking digitally, I just make sure that my linework is nice and tight. Digital inking for me is as simple as darkening everything in Photoshop, removing my blue sketch lines, and touching everything up.

For paintings, I add more steps to it. I start off with a loose sketch, draw a quick mockup to determine light and shadow, then redraw it onto my canvas, do a light background wash, then render everything in black-and-white. Then, I do a light color wash and tighten everything up, paint in all my shadows and highlights and details, using the black-and-white render as a guide. I tend to work backwards and do the foreground first, as it's just a bad habit I had gotten into and can't seem to get out of. The end result is still what I want, so I haven't been compelled to change my methods.

I love to experiment. Unfortunately, experimenting is expensive, so I don't do it often. I love to work in a variety of media, though I've used digital methods mainly for convenience's sake. Otherwise, I prefer traditional media, and will be dragged into the digital age, kicking and screaming. Get that straitjacket and those tranquilizers ready; I'm not going down without a fight.

Let's see... failures... I tried painting a nebula with watercolors. At the time, it turned out pretty cool. I look back on it and wonder why I ruined the paper so badly. My watercolor painting tends to be hit or miss. If I combine it with inks (and use a quill pen), I can get some nice results. If I thicken the paint so that it has a consistency similar to acrylics, I can handle it pretty well. Otherwise, the result looks like I had forgotten how to use a paint brush.

My favorite media tends to be pencils, inks, and markers. I don't use Copic (too expensive!), and I used to have a mixed-media technique where I used markers over top of colored pencils. I haven't used that technique in years, but I've gotten a hold of my old markers, so I'll need to experiment. I've always had some nice airbrush-esque results with it. I love to paint, though it is a bit time-consuming and messy, so I don;t do it as often as I would like to. My digital coloring is more like comic book coloring, as that's what I studied and what I learned. It matches my style better, anyway. Though, I have been experimenting with photo-realistic coloring, but I find it to be very time-consuming, and I'm often going over the same areas several times, tweaking things over and over and over because I am extremely obsessive and picky.

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Hi JediHall! Your older usernames does look familiar, welcome back. :)

How I usually start on piece of art is by doing a series of thumbnails to gain a sense of the piece. Depending on the subject matter or if there was something specific that I hope to achieve with it then I do research before I start drawing. When I have a rough sense of what the finished piece should look like, I go in and map it out and then build on top of the plan. Depending on the composition, I start with gesture lines to get the pose and action and flesh it out with the sculptural form. I go back and clean it up and then render in the tone.

My choice of traditional mediums are my trusty set of graphite and notebook which I take everywhere with me. I do paint but not so often but don't have the space or set up at the moment to do more. For the past several years I have been making more use of the digital medium with a wacom tablet and photoshop but this year I have also been creating compositions with Maya. I have been doing a lot of texturing lately.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hoo boy. So. The Frankenstorm.

Looks like I'll either have plenty of chance to draw, provided the power isn't out, or I draw only during the day, but there's also the potential for going just plain stir-crazy from being stuck inside.

19. JediHall

Oct 16, 2012
    Very Interesting answers! thanks for indulging my curiosities.

TrakNar Hopefully the storm doesn't get too bad for you! Happy Drawing though!

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Totally hear you on that one. I'm about an hour west of Philly and we're projected to get nailed. I have some major deadlines looming and I'll have no choice - I'll have to work by candlelight or find some other means. Speaking of which, that's my other concern - how is this storm going to affect the postal system? Even if I do complete them on time, they may be slowed down due to that.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Better shoot an e-mail to your employers and let them know.

So, how's the weather? Sandy knocking on your door? It's windy and rainy here, so far, and I looked at my local news' forecast, and they're calling for snow on Thursday! :eek: Granted, it will mainly impact those near the mountains, but the computer model shows a good portion of the Susquehanna Valley getting snow.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Winds aren't too bad yet, but we have rain. It's been raining off and on all day here. Tomorrow is supposed to be a real doozy, though. I'm hoping our power stays on, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. [face_worried]

And snow...ugh! I saw that briefly on the predictor and it seems like we're going to be right on the line of that. The Lancaster/York station said they would need to monitor that very closely. This is not going to be a fun week...

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed it's not. I'm in Adams County (not too far from you, actually!), so the predictor showed that we'll be getting a good bit of snow. I take it you're watching WGAL? I don't have a TV, so I've been keeping track of their online coverage.

The power lines in my neighborhood are underground, so I'm hoping that the power stays on. Though, the power lines to the neighborhood are not underground. And the area has had flooding issues before. Lots of old trees, too.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh nice! That's actually not too far! I knew you were in PA, but not that close! I'm right on the border of Berks/Lancaster County. And yup, I've been watching WGAL. I tend to trust them more over the others. :p

Underground lines? Lucky! I was just saying to my mom earlier that in the time we live in, it's strange that we still use the poles, which are susceptible to falling and causing outages with high winds and other accidents. You would think they would come up with another option to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My neighborhood is only about a year old, so underground lines may be relatively new, still. I don't see it very often. Also, it might be cheaper to put new underground lines in, but more expensive to replace current poles. But then again... it's PennDOT. I blame everything on PennDOT. :p

And I also trust WGAL more that the others. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.