main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Digital can have it's benefits. I alternate between that and graphite and my sketchbook rarely leaves my side.

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    It's been a while since I have been here. Hi everybody. I'm hoping to get going on my art this summer. I have been busy with other stuff and I have been sidetracked. I signed up for the challenge. I hope that gets my muse going again! :D

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm hoping to pick up some brush pens soon. I just need to find a way to AC Moore some day. My current brush pens are starting to die. :(

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Great to see you again academygrad88! :)

TrakNar, is it possible to get a refill for your brush pens or would it work out better to get a new set?

I'm currently wrapping up the last phase with my projects and should hopefully start next week for the challenge. I've already started the research process for some of the characters.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't think it's possible to refill these. They're just markers with brush tips.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Ah, that's a shame.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Argh...crazy busy...

But! I see light at the end of the tunnel!

Hopefully I will have some new art to post soon! I will also be starting a larger painting (well, large considering I'm used to working on sketch cards! :p) that I'm really excited about. It's an amazing opportunity and I can't wait to share more about the project once I'm allowed to do so! I will say that it is related to the GFFA.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm still waiting for Topps to get back to me. By the time they do, they will have everything I've drawn, as I send them art samples every month!

I've even got Mary Franklin on my side now. Hopefully I get some work.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh nice! Great connection there! Hopefully something comes out of it!

And yeah...Topps. All I will say is have a lot of patience. :p

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mary has my Bossk sketch card and contact information, and she said that Topps often contacts her, so she'll put in a good word for me. Steve Sansweet said to be persistent, so I'll be sending Topps yet another sketch card in my monthly art e-mail. Steve also has my Yoda sketch card, so two cards went to new homes last month! :D

HanSolo29 and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

As for myself I did no drawing or painting in a while now. I was too busy job hunting. Please keep your fingers crossed for me as well. I might have the chance to return to my own country and work as a nursery school teacher again in a wonderful school. But let me have the job interview next Friday first. For more information, I am willing to share them via PM.

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Persistence is definitely key with Topps. I wish you all the best of luck with getting on board for the next set! There are new artists coming in all the time. Even for the one that I'm currently working on, there are a lot of new faces. Never give up!

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I have a question regarding commissions. I find asking for payment is the hardest part, as there is always a conflict with what I charge versus what the person would rather pay. I calculate my rates based on parts (if I need to get supplies) and labor (how many hours it takes me to work), and I will also factor in shipping, plus add a $20 profit margin just to break even. Due to Gettysburg not having an art supply store, I need to go to a store in the next county, so I have to factor in mileage.

This last commission, I had quoted my price before I started working, and it was agreed upon: $150. Afterward, I started calculating it, as I needed to get supplies. The closest art supply store is 40 miles away, and my brother charges 0.50 a mile, so that trip equaled to about $40. The supplies themselves cost me about $32. For labor, I charge $10 per hour of work, with a total amount this commission coming to four hours, thus $40. Right there, it equals to about $112. I add expedited shipping charges, and I'm looking at about $130. I add a $20 profit margin, as I want to be able to make a profit, which brings it to $150.

Asking around, this was a fair total, and I was told that I'm actually selling myself short. Well, the client wanted to only pay $100, so I caved and accepted that offer. I didn't even break even, and now I'm seriously considering drafting up a contract to use for future commissions, which would detail each and every expense.

So, how do you handle commissions? Do you expect professional payment for professional work? Do you settle for dirt cheap? How have people reacted to your rates? How do you handle that?

The bottom line is that with commissions, it's a business, and I'm in it to make money. If you want something done for next to nothing, go find an amateur on dA. Otherwise, expect to pay professional price for professional work.

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm going to go through your points one at a time and answer them the best I can. :)

It's been a while since I've opened myself up for commissions due to being so busy, but usually, I make a flyer or something similar with my rates. That usually consists of sketch cards (both in black and white, color and larger scale, such as 5x7) and then I mention something about larger pieces of work, which I quote on a case by case basis. Several factors are at play in determining a final cost, such as size, medium, content, etc.

Absolutely. The more professional you are, the better. This helps to ensure a smooth transaction and it also shows the customer that you are serious about your work and what you do. It's helps to alleviate any doubt. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad apples out there who do not follow through with their commitments and I will say, it makes the rest of us look bad.

In terms of how I accept payment, I like to go through PayPal first and foremost. If something goes sour, they are pretty good with protecting both the customer and yourself. For sketch cards (and larger pieces), I ask for payment once I'm about to start the work and only then. I don't like to take someone's hard-earned cash and sit on it until I get a chance to start on their piece. For pieces that are higher end, such as large pieces and some AP sketch cards, I sometimes ask for a deposit, usually if the final price is $50 or more. I've done this in the past for several of my Star Wars return cards.

I know it's nice to make the customer happy and give in to lower rates, but if you can help it, never sell yourself short. It sets a bad precedent for future transactions and it can really snowball from there. Of course, it's not that big of a deal to come down if it's in the general ballpark and it's not something outlandish, but dirt cheap? No way. At that point, it's better to just move on.

For the most part, they stop communication. If they don't like the price you quote them, they usually never respond back to your emails and that is the last you hear of them. And on a few occasions, I got the, "I have to pay?!" responses. Yes, you have to pay! This is me trying to make a living...LOL!

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with that for the most part. There is one incident that I ran into a year ago that was just ridiculous. This will prove that commissions are not all sunshine and roses :p . I had a collector contact me to do a series of cards and he explicitly said there was no deadline and no money was exchanged. He came to me two months later, demanding the work and telling me how I was a terrible person for taking so long on them and if I did not deliver the goods by 6 p.m. the following day, the deal was off. I think there might have been other factors at play, such as him possibly not being able to provide payment, but still! Don't go demanding something like that from me without paying me and especially after you clearly stated that there was no deadline and that I should take as much time as I need. After pulling something like that, I refused to give into his demands and he labeled me as an artist that doesn't keep commitments, which is totally not the case. There was just so much wrong with the whole situation. But the point is, there are some rotten apples out there. Be careful. ;)

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Since I tally other expenses into the price, would it be a good idea to draft up a contract, detailing what I factor into each price? Was asking $150 for an 8x12 ink-and-paint commission on Bristol board too much?

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I never hurts to have a contract. In fact, it will reflect more positively on you when you deal with customers. That's something I should have done with the incident I highlighted above to protect myself. Live and learn, I guess! I wouldn't do it for every little thing, though, especially if you're dealing with sketch cards, but for multiple items or pieces of a larger scale, it would definitely help.

As for your current commission, I think you're in the right ballpark, especially for an 8x12. I would probably start them out around $100 for a base, but again, it all depends on the subject matter and how detailed you want to go. If you highlight all of your costs and show how you came to your final price, I think you should be fine.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As this was my first commission, I'm learning from it, as well. I'll definitely be drafting up contracts and a price list for future commissions.

18. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I found my artwork on somebody's site. I am not sure what I should think since he may have snagged my icon from this site thinking it was a general icon available to all. I wanted to yell at him, but since I snag things off the internet all the time I really shouldn't be throwing stones...especially since my art is of a copyrighted symbol. o_O Here is where I found it:

http://fateofthegalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

I guess I should put the dA watermark on everything from now on.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Watermarking would be a good idea. Though, really, there's little else one can do to keep their work from appearing on other sites. I've seen my stuff on other sites off and on, and I just accept the fact that I'm good enough to steal. :p

20. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I guess so. It is a nice icon. o_O

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I have been thinking for sometime about setting up a gallery for the EU related works that all of us have been producing though I would like to ask a few things before I create it.

For the first two posts in the Gallery thread, have that as the introduction / index system and the second be the Hall of Fame for the Challenges. For the adding of works, would you prefer:
    1. To have a post assigned to an artist as a dedicated space (their first and only post) where they can go in and edit to add to their collection of works? Though this system can get image heavy in the long term.
    2. No assigned post and, like with most threads on the boards, add to the gallery with the 'Post Reply'. Though that might accumulate a lot of pages in the long term.
    Regularly I can go in and update the index and make a not to the title of the thread about when it had been last updated.

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions, please. :)

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  22. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Hi guys, it's been years since I've visited the TFN forums and it's good to see them still running. :) I'm originally from Australia and I moved to Japan back in 2005 and soon after got back into drawing/painting. I currently freelance as an illustrator and concept design artist for games, etc. :)

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Hi NeecH, welcome back to TFN JCF :) I think you can still be counted as a fellow Aussie. What inspired you to move to Japan and how did you find the change in lifestyles?

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    like that idea and prefer 1

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The first option sounds like the best one. As an additional option to keep the post from becoming too bloated, might I suggest using the spoiler tags? This would be especially handy for uncooperative thumbnails, such as how mine have been lately. The loading time would also be cut down a bit.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.