main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That's pretty much what I've been doing; alternating projects. I have a little side project that I've been doodling and it's been helping immensely, as it's simple and lets me unwind. I've got one serious project in the concept stages, a commission planned (need to get to the store for another sketchbook and other supplies), and I moved another sketch card project up to the top of the list and did some research for it. However, I'm not yet ready to tackle that, so it's been put on the back burner.

After several days of anatomical studies and concept designs, it felt great just to doodle cartoons for a bit.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad to hear that you have been able to unwind and feeling a bit more refreshed with the alternating projects. Also good to know that you are still keeping your drawing skills active. I hope that your mojo does come back in full force soon!

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Once I get these other projects done, I might be more motivated to draw some sketch cards. The problem was the subject matter. I just simply got burned out on drawing SW and wanted to branch out.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Branching out and mixing things up is good, always great to have variety to round out your portfolio.

If it helps with returning to the GFFA, maybe tackle a subject that you haven't done much work on whether it be landscapes/creatures/vehicles/characters/etc.

5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I do not know what is wrong with me. Writing is not the problem, but drawing and painting is the past months. The only things I did so far were some cute sketches for the kindergarten kiddos that I work with. I usually get so much "presents" from them, that I like to return the favour once in a while.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad to hear that you are still drawing with those sketches. Is it an inspirational or a motivation thing that could be affecting you AzureAngel2?

7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I think I must get better with living in the NOW, like my wards.

My mind is always too preoccupied with the past or the future. Or simply stuff.

I can just paint when I am at peace with myself. It is almost a Zen-like thingy, dear Outrider.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope everyone else is going well.

Deadlines have eased up on my end. Now back to the other productions I have in the works and I should be doing a few art updates along the way while I get things going on this side of things.

Aiight, full speed ahead for me.
    "Forth Eorlingas!"

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been tied up in a video promo project lately, and the bulk of it is finally done. Now it's just minor adjustments to the sound. We're hoping we can release it soon.

It's a promotional trailer for the web series project Bagged & Boarded. Since there's lots of cussing in it, I can't post it here. When it's released, would anyone be interested in seeing it? I can add you to the PM list from the Fanfic forum where I've talked about it already.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope that it is going well.

Yes, you can add me to the PM list please.

11. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Think comic books. :p

13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    At present I am wrapped up with SW presents for children, nephews & some of my kindergarten kiddos as well:

[​IMG]

It is not real art & my poor finger tips do mind needles drilling in, but it is fun to do.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not sure where else to put this, but I thought I'd just drop this here and see what everyone thought:

I've been doing some research into buying a new graphics tablet and while looking up the differences between the Wacom Intuos and the Cintiq and which one to go with, I keep getting mixed reviews. Does anyone have a preference or the pros or cons of each? I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

Heya.

I used to have a Wacom Bamboo and upgraded to the Intuos Pro S model. So far it is better than the Bamboo, more pressure sensitivity. I'll go through briefly of some of the features which I like.
    It has a stand for the pen, twist it open and you have a series of different nibs to choose from (I haven't tested it out though maybe I should).
    It is a decent size and custom functionalities with the buttons and controls… though I tend to keep it as old school as possible and do things the long way.
    The pen is quite nice too and you can unscrew the nib end easily to replace/swap out nibs and customise appearances.
    The USB cable for the can be removed so makes it handy for packing up and travelling and also if there is a break in the wire on the inside, you can just get another micro USB to USB cable than a new kit.
    There is a wireless kit that includes a receiver, battery and dongle.
    However, I've noticed that there are marks on the pad after I draw on. Could either be from drawing too hard (never happened on the bamboo) or the nib type…So far it has no effect on anything but not sure if there will be in the long term. Also I might have installed the drivers incorrectly but I can't seem to get the wireless kit to work after the first day trying it (battery is charged and so forth. Maybe I need to have it all plugged in before I start up the computer… might give that a go later on and report back if it does work)

With the Cintiq…I want one! :p
    Okay. I have not had much experience with the Cintiq yet but from what I've picked up, it needs a power source and it is not so portable … but to draw directly into the screen than having to translate your hand movements to a cursor on the screen would be quite good.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm currently using an Intuos Touch. I like it, as it has the nifty things that C_O mentioned. Changed my first nib, too. It has a nice surface that feels more like paper, and the pen design itself fits my hand better than my old Graphire 4. I hold my pen with a hooked grip and will often hit the side button by accident. I don't hit it as often on my Intuos.

The driver for my Intuos will crash if I'm using just battery power for my laptop. I also noticed marks on mine, and I changed my nib, as the old one was, well... a bit worn down (I might be drawing too hard). The marks don't seem to affect anything, though. My old Graphire is covered in marks and it worked fine. Hell, its nib was worn to a stub.

When I was purchasing my new tablet, I looked over the various options available and chose the Intuos because I wanted to "graduate" to a better tablet, and it had the better software bundle. I'm happy with it. It can double as a touchpad for finger painting! I have the touchpad option disabled on mine since I drag my hand when drawing, but the few times I've enabled it, it's pretty nifty.

As for the Cintiq... Never used one and have no real desire to start using one. I doubt it'd be very nice on my wrist. My Intuos I can have sitting at an angle so that I don't have to cramp my wrist, and I'm quite comfortable with that setup.

17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've been looking at the nibs I've got and curious to know if you got the same TrakNar
    • standard nibs, black
    • flex nib, white and black
    • stroke nib, white
    • hard felt nibs, gray
    I've been using the original standard nib that came already installed. Have you tried the other types and if so, how does it feel?

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Corellian_Outrider, TrakNar – thank you so much! You two are awesome! [:D]

I guess my main concern about purchasing a new tablet is being able to have it feel like drawing traditionally. On the dinosaur that I'm using now (it's one of the early Wacoms), I have always had difficulty achieving a straight line and the pressure points aren't exactly accurate, as a result, I end up doing my drawing traditionally, scanning that in and then doing the color on top of that. I would love to be able to skip that step and have the ability to draw directly into the program. That's the concern I have with going the Intuos route, but if both of you guys seem to be getting results, I may have to stick with my gut.

In terms of the Cintiq, I was reading up on that and it mentioned something about having two monitors to operate it? Is that a requirement? It really does look awesome to be able to draw directly on the tablet window (but that price...argh!), so it would be awesome to be able to have one of those, but if it's not really necessary, I'd rather not shell out that kind of money at the moment.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've gotten all those nibs, but never tried them, except for the standard nibs. I just treat it like a pencil.

As for drawing, I can't achieve a straight line digitally or traditionally. When using my tablet, I still do short strokes and tighten them up, just as I do with inks. My drawing habits and methods haven't really changed and maybe that's why I grind the hell out of nibs.

There's a nib that has a little spring in it. Is that the stroke nib? I may try that for painting. Have yet to really play with brushes and effects, really, as my tablet doesn't see a lot of use. I don't have it plugged in all the time, same as how I keep my laptop in a case when not in use. That and if I want to paint, I just get out the paints and get messy.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Always welcome HanSolo29 [:D]

I haven't had any issues with the performance of the Intuos Pro at the moment (sans the wireless function but that could be my fault with the set up, will test it later on in the morning) and I am onto my third graphics tablet. Adjusting between each new one took a short time to get accustomed to the feel of it, which is natural, and settled in fast. The improvements has been noticeable since it has been a bit of a gap between each model I have. I find the pressure sensitivity on the newer ones are a lot more better and you do have the ability to customisable the feel of it too.

I had been doing some reading on the Cintiq and from what I've read (this is for the 13HD model so not sure if different on the others) is that there is one cable that comes out of the Cintiq but splits out to be plugged into the monitor (HDMI cable so requires MiniDiplay Port-HDMI adaptor for Mac), one for the USB port and the other is for power adaptor. Has a stand built in at the back with different positions. Not quite suitable for my current setup.

For the moment, I think you will be fine with the Intuos and you can pull off some great stuff with it. Further down the track maybe check out the Cintiq when the models has improved or become more accessible.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

I treat it like a pencil for the line work too and just expand and soften the brush for rendering. I can do diagonals pretty straight and some arcs too but most of the time I do short strokes to refine the line work.

That might be the stroke nib *opens up my pen stand* oh neat! Didn't even know about the springs. Yep… there should be just the 1 while there are 3 of the hard stroke ones in grey.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, got those three, but never really knew what they were for. I should try the stroke nib sometime.

Removing nibs for me was kind of a pain, as I didn't know how to do it right. You unscrew the tip of the pen, right? When I did that, only the outer cover came off and I was still trying to pull out the nib that I had ground down and couldn't get a grip on.

If I changed the nib improperly, then that might be it. It still works fine, though.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yep, you unscrew the tip and there is that metal ring inside the stand that kinda acts as pliers to pull the nib out. I haven't done it before on the Intuos pen but had used that metal ring thing on the old Bamboo pen when the nib got forced up and stuck and lost all pressure sensitivity. It kinda fixed it but what made me switch to the Intuos was when the wiring inside the cable got damaged and no longer registered the device.

TrakNar likes this.
  24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Again, thank you for all of the insight, guys!

Maybe I will save the Cintiq until after I've experienced the Intuos a bit. Like I said, I basically want one that I can easily draw directly into Photoshop with - I especially have trouble getting clean outlines on my drawings with my current tablet. And if I do the outlining before I scan it in the computer and then try to cut them out, it looks really messy. If I can do all the outlining with the Intuos, I should be set.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The Intuos should allow you do the outlining the way you want to do it.

Be sure to let us know how you are finding it when you get it HanSolo29 and if you need any tips or tricks with cleanup/blending the line work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.