main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Artist's Lounge~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Radiohead, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    This is the artist's counterpart to the great ~The Writer's Lounge thread.

Here, you can post your non-Star Wars related artwork, discuss the influences of your art, or simply share methods and techniques with other artists!

Hopefully, we'll see some great art and lots of helpful tips in here!

:)

2. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    I like to use pencils, acrylic, watercolor, and mixed media and I occasionally make sculptures (including two masks, a gargoyle, and a bird man). I consider my art surreal. I can't post any, because I don't have many scans, and I would have to put them up on the internet, which I am too lazy to do.

3. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    I grew up reading comic books, so my drawing process is similar to the ways comic book artists work.

First, I draw a very rough sketch of the figure in pencil. The purpose is to arrange the composition of the figures and to get an idea of the action happening on the page.

Next, I go over what I have and then start over in a brand new page. This is where I finish the drawing.

Finally, I put the final touches on the work and ink it (if neccessary).

Normally, I use a bunch of different pencils that vary in darkness. I also sometimes use a blue pencil, because it's lighter and easier to draw on than darker pencil marks. I also use various inking pens. Occasionally, using a lightbox is an option.

4. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I will be frequently this lounge quite often I feel!

Excellent.

I'll be back with a more indepth post soon.

5. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Looking forward to it, Darth_Asabursh.

6. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
  7. Muppet

Muppet Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Ive been painting since i was about 13. My love for art came from animation, then i found that i preferred painting to drawing. I went to art college and did a degree in fine art.

I now work as a freelance artist, mainly doing paintings for galleries and some commissions. You can see some of my paintings on my website link in my bio.

My work is pretty realistic, i spent that last few years doing photo-realism but ive become a bit bored with that style and am currently experimenting with a more minimal form of realism. Ive never been able to paint abstractly, i just dont feel comfortable with that style. But my work has gone through many changes over the years.

I work with oils, acrylics and also with an airbrush ocassionally.

8. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Is it just the visual arts talk here? Or is profroming art and poetry ok too?

9. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    I intended this thread to be primarily concerned with visual arts, but feel free to start a thread on those other arts as well. That's what the Amphitheater is for. Just make sure it hasn't been started already.

10. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Can I post my crude yet incredibly speaking to others art here? None contain curse words, nudity, or anything really bad. :D

11. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Yup, that's what this thread is for. I've been meaning to post my art, but I haven't gotten around to it...

12. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Go here.

Hopefully it will work. It starts at the beginning. I told you it was crude. :D

13. Goo_Child

Jul 31, 2002
    Ok! let me pull on my black turtle neck and my coffe cup with a picture of a coffe cup on it and lets talk art. (BTW I do own about 5 black turtle necks, but I have yet to get a coffe cup with a picture of a coffe cup on it.)

14. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

my favourite medium is ink on paper... i just have a thing for very detailed, fine lines...

i've tried watercolour, and canvas painting, but, i felt inept at it... i just love the control that the very fine tips of my pens give me, i guess :p

my favourite pens to use are the Kohinoor Rapidograph pens...

my artistic influences are Aubrey Beardsley, Jessie M. King, Jan Toorop, Arthur Rackham - most Art Nouveau era artists... also Maurice Sendak...

my artistic taste is much broader than that, however..

here is a link to a photo of a piece that i did.. the photo quality isn't that great.. and the artwork itself was being neglected ;)

15. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Impressive, K_P. Most impressive!

It's so richly detailed and meticulous... how long did it take you to complete it? Did you use pencil and then inked over it?

16. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

thanks Radiohead... you are so sweet to me [face_blush]

i think that i started with pencil on this one... the face, as i recall - which by the way is based on Kurt Cobain. after i got a start on the face i went over it with the rapidograph, and just let my imagination create the rest freehand... it took about 3 days.. not all day long mind you.. but, i am not sure how many hours...

i call that piece "Love or Confusion" (you may have read that at the bottom) - and, yes.. i'm a Jimi Hendrix fan ;)

i'll find the link to another, if you'd like to see it... there is a poem that goes with it, so i may include that, as it kind of tells a story...

17. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Well, it's a fine piece, K_P. You should be proud.

When I draw stuff, I'm usually not committed to finishing it. During the process, the subject has to interest me and keep my attention. That's why it will sometimes take me just a few hours to complete one piece (the fast ones are the ones I enjoy drawing the most), while it takes me days or more to complete a different one.

18. Goo_Child

Jul 31, 2002
    Wonderful K_P

I use mostly oil pastals(sp?), watercolors, and other paints

I usualy don't put detil in my artwork. Most of the people I draw don't even have faces, and because of this people think I am weird. Drawing something without detil is like hanging a picture upside down, it lets you enjoy the beauity no matter what the subject is.

A few people loved my work. Some of the kids a grade a head of me wanted my pastal drawings, so I made some for them. I'll have to ask if they still have them.

19. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Here are two pieces I drew of Paul McCartney and John Lennon. Drag the links into the address bar to see 'em.

McCartney
    Lennon

The first one is a drawing that I made with a pencil some time back. The Lennon picture, meanwhile, is completely drawn with ink. I sort of tried to get an opposite effect for each drawing: one was meant to be a rough sketch with lots of gray, while the other was made up of lots of black and fine lines.

20. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    This thread didn't go up for some reason.

21. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

i love them Radiohead!! wow! excellent work... i am particularly drawn (no pun intended) visually to the Lennon piece, but they are both exceptional!

outstanding :)

i should have known you are an artist ;)

22. Goo_Child

Jul 31, 2002
    has anyone here ever won anything in art shows?

23. Tuckahoe

Tuckahoe Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    Well...I generally like to work with a regular old pencil. But I occasionally use paints such as acrylic and watercolor. I plan on majoring in illustration...but right now I'm still stuck in high school. I only got one more year of that, though.

And to answer Goo_Child's question about whether anyone has ever won something in an art show...well...I took 2nd place in a county show and got a pen and ink drawing selected to be in a regional show...which is a big feat to accomplish. So, I'm pretty happy. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.