~The Artist's Studio~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Chocos_Ramabotti, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Sooo...first, I don't know if there is already a thread like this. If there is, feel free to delete this thingy. But I just thought that with threads for writers and composers, it's time to have one for artists, too. So, if you have any uploaded pictures, feel free to link them here ('cause I don't know if it's possible to directly post them...) and discuss them. I myself am...well, an amateur :p. And I indeed have a little art page on a fine German website. Here it is:

Val's Animexx Gallery
  2. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    I made this a few months ago.
    It's currently the banner for our FF website:

[image=http://www.bostonrebels.net/images/banner.jpg]
    Click on it to expand to full size. :)
  3. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was just thinking it would be nice to have a site for artists...to discuss, critique or whatever. I'm still working on my web site (aaaargh! computers drive me crazy) Anyone here good with Dreamweaver? I also have a Mac.

Chocos Your stuff looks pretty good. Are you into anime at all? I love that type of art. Have you thought about art school? I'm there now, I'll be a senior next year in Illustration and I tell you, it is so worth it. What I have learned has been amazing. I had talent, I just didn't have the techniques down and now I'm getting that mastered and everything is starting to come together and I can't believe sometimes that I actually did that (a piece)...it's so cool.

Also, does anyone know how to post a Photoshop image that is on my desktop to a thread or does it have to be on a web site? I have a really cool SW picture I did that I'm dying to show...it was a painting I did that I scanned to my 'puter. I probably have to throw it on my web site, once I figure out how... :mad:

BTW, there was another Art site but is locked, probably due to inactivity which surprises me. At school, there are so many SW fans because of the visual aspects of the movies...and Lucas himself is pretty artistic, he did go to art school also for drawing. It seems to me that there should be alot of posters here...hopefully some will come on board...
  4. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    Send me a PM, and I can host it for you for a while. :)
  5. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice pictures, Darth Dowe :). Hehe, so, you're the "Boston Rebels" :cool:. I'm part of "Wuher's Legacy". You know which part of the FF that is, eh? ;)

Hehe, thanks very much, Naccha *bows* :). Yeah, I'm a huge manga and anime fan! It's just so...different and it's very aestethic in it's own way. There are also lots of different drawing styles, especially in manga, some of which I like and some of which I don't. It's also fun to compare the details of one drawing style to another. Although you really have to know the stuff to do that, someone who never occupied himself with it wouldn't know the differences. For instance, when I once took out one of my Neon Genesis Evangelion manga, some of my classmates said "That looks like Sailor Moon!". I. Beg. You. EVA is completely different from Sailor Moon! Sharper angles, smaller eyes, different faces and body shape over all. :p

Yes, I would definitely like to go to art school! I'm already going to it as a...uhm..."Schwerpunktfach" (dunno how to translate that >.<), which means that I've got four lessons a week and that within the regular school time :D.

I still have to practice a lot, but I'm getting better "by the picture", so to speak :p ;). Yes, sometimes I also wonder that it's me who did a certain picture ;).

I'd definitely like to see your pictures, too. Hope you figure out the website stuff soon! And, is a Mac more stable than a Windows computer? :p

Star Wars is very visual indeed! After all, it portrays a wholly different world, with different landscapes, different peoples, different technology, of course...that quote in your sig is cool, btw ;). That's also an aspect which I like more in the OT, because the mood is totally different. In the PT, the use of computers somehow makes it seem a bit fake...

Anyway,
    Mata ne,
    Val ^_^
  6. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    Send me a PM, and I can host it for you for a while.

Not sure what you mean...I do have a web site paid for for 1 year...I just need to build the darn thing... Thanks anyway...

that quote in your sig is cool, btw

I found that in an interview with George and I loved it. My type of art is very much related to storytelling. I'm working on doing storyboards, character development, costume design. My dream job would be to work at ILM. How cool would that be??? Hopefully, next year I plan on applying for a summer internship there. Can you imagine? They'll be working on post-production for ep. III...so cool :cool: it would be a dream come true! :)
  7. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool :). I wish you luck! You also doing Comics? :p
    That would be a dream of mine. Doing a little Doujinshi or so. But it's very exhausting work :(.
    I mostly like to draw people :). It's just fun :p. And mostly, I'm too lazy to also draw backgrounds and such... :p. But I just started working on a pic which will be very difficult to do...lots of details...but I'll do it ^_^.
  8. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Hey, right now I'm in computer arts so I have several pieces I can share. I'll scan them. The other things I've done are too big to scan but I've been thinking of taking pictures of them.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  9. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey SJ, how do you scan something to post??? I'd love to know how
  10. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wanna keep this site going.....

So, what is everyone's favorite medium to work in???

I LOVE oils....it's amazing what I can do in oils...it has opened me up as an artist more than any other medium....though I do like graphite too..... So far have painted on canvas and illustration board. I'm going to try masonite next....
  11. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting :). Can you tell me about it? :D
    Well, I'm into this whole manga stuff, so I stick to ink and my aquarel pens. First draw the piccie in pencil, then ink it, then colour it, it's that easy. Well, I actually use aquarel pens because it's practically the only thing I've got :p. But I can work pretty precisely with them.
  12. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm going to try masonite because I painted on gessoed illustration board and it warped. It was a pretty thick board but it still bent a little which is very irritating when you work your butt off painting a great picture only to have it warp out. I think masonite is a stronger surface. Plus, I'd like to try a smoother surface than canvas. I like canvas but I think I'll like the smoother surface since I'm so anal about detail and accuracy :p
  13. Tobie_Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    Tip: paint a giant 'x' in gesso from corner to corner on the back of your illustration board to counter some of the warping problems
    :)
  14. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I did that and it still warped. My teacher told me to try wetting the back of the board also. I have'nt tried that yet. Hey has anyone here ever tried Sculpey? I had a project to do in the stuff. It's really fun! I hope my project comes out, I just finished baking it and am waiting for it to cool down so I can paint it....Pretty neat stuff...
  15. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hmmmmm....where have all the artist's gone??? Let's not let this thread die in the back pages......What is everyone's favorite subject to paint? I love to paint people...it's such a challenge...
  16. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    *nodnod* People, absolutely! Manga style of course :p. But really, I somehow like drawing people, because...well, I can imagine that there is a soul behind what I'm drawing, I can identify with the (mostly fictional) characters I draw like with those of a book or movie. On the contrary, I'm often too lazy to draw backgrounds...ahem *sweatdrop* [face_blush].
  17. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know, I don't draw much backgrounds either, though really I need to concentrate on that. It's better to be a well rounded artist for your portfolio. Clients like to see versatility...
  18. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I know exactly what you mean! Especially for comics/manga...I mean, the characters need to be *somewhere*, eh? But the characters themselves are SO much more fun! :p ^.^v
  19. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have one teacher who's always going on about environments...must have environments for the characters/figures. He's probably right, so that's what I'll work on next semester I guess.
  20. Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoa...hmm...can't you explain some of your experiences with backgrounds to me? :)

Btw, this thread is of course also there to ask questions about art and help each other :).

We just had oil as a subject in school! Oil colors are amazing :). You can make really smooth transitions (right word?) with them and they shine so bright, it's fantastic ^_^.

And now I'm really going to draw a Doujinshi (= Fan Manga), YAY!!! Also in school, though I already began at home with it :p. Well, the backgrounds are going to be a bit of a problem now *sweatdrop*. But, ah well ^_^.
    I also begun to sketch a cover illustration, hehe ^_^°°°.
  21. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nice idea Val :D

I like to draw manga but I'm not too good at it and I only ever draw girls :p I don't know why but I find it so hard to draw males. I find anime/manga such a broad form of art and I love how "real" anime/manga characters can portray so much emotion through their eyes. I think that's why I go so hooked on watching and later drawing this art style :)

I wish I hadn't give up art at school because I think if I hadn't I'd be better at shading and colouring. I tend to shy away from colouring my work because I'm so worried I'll screw it up. The majority of my favourite pictures are colour-free.
  22. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    There is a whole series of books at borders.com. Go to art instruction and type in manga. It will bring up the books. (I tried to link it but couldn't) Or you can go to your nearest Borders or other bookstore and look there....

They're really cool and very detailed on how to draw that style. Try them out!
  23. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Naccha: I know the series you mean :) I've been thinking of getting some now that I have a job and can afford to buy things ;)

Thanks for the tip!
  24. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  25. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    o_O

My computer is clearly unhappy tonight...

Sorry!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.