main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ashes Series (Cricket: Australia Vs England)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Asabrush, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    The Ashes

[image=http://cricketvictoria.sitesuite.ws/images/rachel/home_page/ashes06/ashes-urn-x150.jpg]

The Ashes Series will soon be upon us. A bi-annual event between two Cricketing giants. The mighty Aussies will host England and its Barmy Army this winter (2006/2007).

For those who know little about Cricket and even less about the Ashes please follow the links for more info.

A Short History of The Ashes

The Ashes

Tour Fixture List

Cricket ? The Gentleman?s Game

I happen to think that England will retain the Ashes but there?s no doubting that Australia are the favourites this time around.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think England have enough about them to draw the series.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not a huge fan of cricket so I'm expecting to be educated here.

From what little I know though a draw means we keep the Ashes doesn't it?

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Correctamundo.

A draw will retain the Ashes.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    1. Simon Jones is a huge loss for England.

2. what is up with Trethcothick? oh well. i guess his career is over. Cook is a gun, though. i think he'll excel at the top of the order.

3. can't believe England chose Jones over Read. how about giving him a chance?

4. they better play Monty over Giles. Giles is ****.

5. if McGrath and Warne don't excel, Australia will be in trouble. i do not think this will be the case, however.

5. PREDICTION: Phil Jacques will play his way into the team, in place of Langer, by the end of the series.

6. did i spell Trethcothick right?

7. oh, and i think Australia will win 3-2, purely because they're at home. if it's half as good as the last Ashes, it'll be great to watch, though.

6. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Yep. A comprehensive defeat of the Aussies would be most satisfying but I'm a realist so will take the draw. That means we retain the Ashes - which aren't allowed to move to Australia anwyay [face_laugh]

As for cricket generally. I've always liked the game. If you've never been to a one dayer or 20/20 match you are missing some serious drinking! I remember watching the first 20/20 match at the Rose Bowl in Southampton (Hampshire CCC ground). It started at lunchtime and ended late at night - I was drinking beer in the afternoon ande G&Ts in the evening, I managed to read the Sunday Times and see some exciting cricket and get a tan on my face. I was a little worse for wear the next day but it was a laugh.

Seriously, cricket is much more than watching/playing a game - its a social event!

EDIT: Pretty much agree with everything epic wrote apart from his comment about Jones.

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    you don't think Jones is a huge loss? the three headed pace monster with Hoggard chipping in and a spinner on the side was why England won the Ashes, IMO. take out Jones, + a just-come-back-from-injury Flintoff and suddenly it's all up to Harmison - who can be very inconsistent.

Jones >>>> Anderson or Mahmood

i should note that, despite living in Australia for 15 years, i will be going for England in this series. this is because

a) i must stick to my NZ roots and

b) the dominance of the Australian team in recent years makes me want them to fail

8. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    can't believe England chose Jones over Read. how about giving him a chance?

I read that as you would support Read over Jones. I support Jones. Am I getting confused?

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    With the caveat that I don't know the full story, I can't believe Trescothick even went to Australia. I can't help but feel everyone so wanted him to be 'recovered' it was decided he was.

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    oh, i thought you were talking about Simon Jones.

they gave Read a chance and then drop him based on his ICC performances. wt*? the Test Arena (lol) is a totally different scenario. plus Jones can be dodgy behind the stumps.

i think they should have given Read more of a chance. at least let him play the first two Tests, anyway, then replace him if he hasn't scored any runs.

11. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Everton. I agree with you

epic. I see where you are coming from but I rate Jones behind the stumps even with his mistakes.

12. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I think that the loss of Simon Jones will be huge, I would play Geraint Jones instead of Chris Read, not because of his glove work but because I think he has got more about him personally and he is a better bat without question.

Trescothick should not have gone, never ever and calliong upi Joyce may prove to be a good move, I do rate him and with Strauss being there and already knowing him I think that will help him to settle down.

As for the bowling atack, Monty has to play ahead of Giles he is a better attacking option and will get more turn than Giles on any wicket. There is far to much pressure on Harmison and Flintoff and I have concerns that Freddie may break down. I do not think that Mahmood and Anderson are the right bowlers to take out there, it may have been better taking someone like Onions who has more control with his pace and can get the ball to move about, Mahmood is ripe for a spanking as the Aussies have already shown.

After saying all of that I do think we have got enough to go out and retain the Ashes, but it will take a lot of effort from the big names to really come through for us.

13. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Under a week now. I can't wait for this.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think England can pull this off, though the recent problems with the side have certainly dented my confidence. Nevertheless, I actually think England will retain The Ashes (probably as DA said through a draw of the series)

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The excitement! I would never say England would win, so I'm laying it down for the Aussies (and at that, not in a safe way! :p).

Prediction: 4 - 0 to Aussies with one draw.

;)

16. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    4 - 0? Utter pish my friend! It will be close.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Aussie's over-confidence will be their weakness. ;)

18. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Your faith in your team is yours.:p

Seriously, if Harmison is injured that's going to put even more pressure on Flintoff to perform.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I hope the series lives up to last year's epic battle.

Then later in the summer there's the Aus, NZ, England one-day tri-series to keep us all amused. Should be some fun to be had in this forun during the matches...

20. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    And the Chappell-Hadlee series, which is turning out to be quite good (especially last year in New Zealand - those two Kiwi chases were brilliant)

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    All of these matches will be great. Using this as a live sport thread (at least for the ashes) will be great fun! :D

I'm the only one brave enough to post my true feelings. :p

22. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Australia will win the first Test. The overall result depends on how the second Test goes. For England, the stars will be KP, Collingwood and Monty

i think the loss of Trescothick may be a slight blessing in disguise as it solves the selection problems. I'd go with Jones for WK, Monty for spinner. I'd rather have S Jones than Anderson or Mahmood. And I say that as a Lancashire fan

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    So do you think that the result of the second test will cause a sway in the winners direction (confidence boost, etc) and make them take away the remaining three (or at least enough to win)?

24. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Basically yes. If the Aussies win the first 2 they will win the series. If England win the second test I think they will draw or win the series

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Hmm, interesting, so you think that the middle of the series will determine the slide. :)

Well, as I said before, I think Australia won't have a problem with any of them. [face_whistling] [face_laugh]

3 days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.