main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ashes Series (Cricket: Australia Vs England)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Asabrush, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    so apparently play began before 11 this morning I assume this was to make up for lost time due to the rain.

What was Ponting thinking? A stupid choice of shot. Currently 3/64

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    84/5, looks like ENgland are making a game of it, but it only needs one of those normal Aussie mid-order 150 partnerships to pull the game away.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    And I expect they will.

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    JP is psychic

5. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    MS Panesar 12 1 52 0 4.33

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_dancing]

279 run partnership for Hayden and Symonds. Great stuff from the both of them; seeing Symonds getting another test century is just awesome. For Aussies. :p This century for Hayden is also his 27th - which equals Alan Border's amount.

At stumps, Australia is 7/327, 213 runs in front.

So is Everton. :p

7. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Actually that was his maiden test century.

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    :oops: For some reason I had that one day century in my mind as a test century. [face_blush]

Well, today is all but over. Currently at 8/127, England is about to go down without even forcing Australia to bat again off what seriously was only a meager total to win a match with. But great work by the Aussies. :D

Australia: 4
    England: 0

9. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    And Warne was 'Man of the Match'... pathetic, just coz it was his last game at his home ground. There were better players over-all!

10. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd say he was a justified choice, especially as it would have been difficult to split Hayden and Symonds, whilst Warne set up the win on the first day with his 5 wicket haul.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Symonds should have got man of the match because his innings, at 85-5, was the most crucial.

absolute demolishing, though. England's batsmen have looked a sorry sight since the capitulation in Adelaide.

nice to see Warne and McGrath walk off together.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Australia has now won 11 Tests in a row, equal second all time (of course we also the record holders :))

In that run we have only beaten one other teams by a innings. That was Bangladesh. :)

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Australia has now won 11 Tests in a row, equal second all time (of course we also the record holders happy )

Nice! :)

As well, we haven't had a complete Ashes whitewash since the 1920-21 tests. C'mon the Aussies! :D

14. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Day 1 of the 5ifth test begins today! It will most likely be interupted by the rain which is good coz it means I will get to see them actually play on day 4 when I go to the SCG!

15. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Play has stopped on the second day due to rain, I think i definately will get to see some cricket on Friday!

16. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Good day to go Rebel...

Australia 5-0

Extremely accurate representation of the difference between the teams this time around. Hopefully England can get their act in to gear for 2009

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    It was a good day to go!

McGrath was on song!

It was a short day of play but it was well worth it!

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    England completely outplayed the entire series. poor performance all round.

emotional last day for the Aussie team, though. was a nice touch seeing McGrath and Warne at both ends to finish off the England tail. bring on the new era!

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Ignoramus speaking here... but why on Earth isn't the next Ashes series until 2009??? Shouldn't it be summer 2008?

20. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I was under the illusion it was until I was corrected here, it should be earlier, I thought the ICC were trying to make the bigger rivalries played more often now???

21. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Every four years has historically been when Ashes series have been played. So 2009, being 4 years after 2005 is when the next Ashes in England is.

I think that the ICC works on the basis that every team has to play easch other home and away at least once within a six or seven year period - not sure if that last bit is right however.

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    yeah, i think it's just the way the draw of both teams have worked. there was only 16 months difference between the last Ashes and this one because of both teams cycles and now they're like on the other end of the cycle, thus the huge wait. or something like that.

so, Gilchrist to retire after the WC or to carry on?

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Because he started later than people like Warne and McGrath he may have another year left in him, especially since the next year Australia plays India at home, which is likely to be a hard fought series. It wouldn't surprise me if he (and Hayden) did go, especially if Australia win, but there may be some pressure put on both to stay, at least for another year

24. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    And I only realised that aussie Coach John Bucannon (bad spelling) is calling it a day after the World Cup. I do wonder how much affect that will have on the team.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I couldn't say anything before, because I wasn't here and I actually missed seeing any of the last test. :(

But 5-0 brings warm feelings to my heart.

That is all.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.