main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ashes Series (Cricket: Australia Vs England)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Asabrush, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    He didn't want to put too much stress on the knee ;)

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_praying] that McGrath is able to play.

You may just need someone like him to go for broke and hope for the best. Playing carefully at this stage with a convincing defeat having already gone past you won't do you any good.

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    England just have to find a bowler who can support Flintoff throughout an innings and they'll be fine, especaially as most of their batsmen have some form behind them - and Adelaide is a batsmens wicket.

I also thought the match started toady, and I was getting angry that Kerri-anne was running over time[face_blush]

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Yesterday, I thought it started today as well.

But the TV guide showed me otherwise. :p

5. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I must admit I would probably play him, or Plunkett in this test as Anderson did not really seem to trouble the Aussies that much. For me though Monty has to play tonight, even if it is at the expense of Giles, I doubt Fletcher will be brave enough to play two spinners.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    England unchanged. [face_plain]

7. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    You're joking [face_plain] .

England might as well hand over the Ashes now. Who's making these decisions.

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree, not playing Panesar is ridiculous however i am gladdened by the fact they have a) won the toss and b) made 30 without loss.

still, choosing Giles over Panesar makes me sick. Giles must be giving Fletcher some great ***damn head.

9. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    2/47 [face_dancing]

Where has Stuart Clark been all these years

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I read a news article saying England were off to a solid start... having scored 30 runs without the loss of a wicket. I was expecting a bit more after reading the first sentence. :oops:

But now, good stuff by Clark. :D

2/58

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    They're certainly taking their time. :p

Finally! They both have their half centuries! =D=

But one of them has a strike rate of 35.71 - o_O

2/144

12. khabarakh23

May 18, 2005
    KP's starting to slap it around. 9 runs off 6 balls

179/3

13. khabarakh23

May 18, 2005
    266/3 at close of play. Collingwood 98no. Eek!

14. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    not a bad day for England at all, after the loss of two quick and early wickets I think we actually won the day by finishing 260+ for 3.

I just hope the two boys at the crease stick around for the first hour tomorrow so that we can build a good solid total and give the bowlers some confidence to go out and attack.

15. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    We definately need to play on Collingwoods nerves tomorrow. If he's still on 98 after a few overs we might be able to get him.

I felt Clark was underbowled as well.

16. khabarakh23

May 18, 2005
    I think so too. Not that I'm complaining :p

17. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Clark was under bowled, but already said im not complaining. Yes colly will be nervous but I would hope he will make it tomorrow.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    pedestrian pace. i forsee a lot of runs for both teams resulting in an unimaginative draw. got to blame the Curators, really.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well at least England are actually playing during this test. Much better performance thus far, IMO.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The toss is nowhere near as important in this Test than it was in Brisbane. That's why England won it, I guess. :p

I reckon the Aussies would've made more by now had they won the toss, and will probably equal England's total (whatever it may be) in their own first Innings.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Exactly. 266 off a single day's play; Australia got over 400 in Brissy on the first day.

Still, it will be interesting to see if either side collapses - that's really the only way I see anything other than a draw happening.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hey, where is everyone? Surely we've got to admit England have done quite well during todays play? 551 total, 206 for Collingwood and Australia 28/1. These numbers look rather good for England, I think? :D

Lets see if our Bowlers can perform on Day 3. If they can, we have the chance of a win here?

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    If England can get Ponting and eventually Hussey cheaply they'll go a long way to winning this test, especially with the rest of Australia's batting line up a little out of form. A lot rests on how Harmison's first spell goes and if Anderson, Flintoff and Hoggard can get some reverse going (which ominously, Brett Lee did).

I'll have to say, I loved Collingwoods reaction when he got his double-century.

A draw is sounding good right now...

24. khabarakh23

May 18, 2005
    WHOOP!! I reckon the match will be a draw, but pride is restored (temporarily at least). Chuffed for Collingwood, couldn't happen to a better bloke. With the spin Warne was getting I can't help thinking Monty should be out there.

25. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well I was a far too pessimistic about England after their display at Brisbane.

Its good to see some bouncebackability from our side at last and some well shown bite too. I've never had any problem with Collingwood, he's a grafter and when he wants to can be fierce to any opposing bowlers and he showed that on Day 2, brilliant double century and with Pietersen getting another 158 (how unlucky is he, one day he'll get past that marker), it was avery good showing by England. And my much derided view of Giles was improved by him adding 20 or so runs as well, I just hope he can show with the ball why he is ahead of Panesar.

Its crucial tomorrow morning that England get off to a fierce start, knocking Hayden and Ponting out early is the best case scenario although as our Aussie friends know Adelaide isn't exactly a bowlers paradise so we'll have to see. However tomorrow will be a cracking day and hopefully we'll see the best of both sides.

Also talking of Australia I wanted to say I really like the look of Stuart Clark, he's a danger for England and the future for Australia, as McGrath goes out of the limelight (as he was so brutally shoved off after today's play) he could be a threat to alot of teams in the near future. And I was surprised (well pleasantly, being English) to see Warne nullified so wickedly by Pietersen and Collingwood, its quite telling that one of the most dangerous bowling partnerships in Cricketing history are now finally be demolished and showing signals that their time is nigh. Thats not to say that they won't have something to say before they go out but thats more in Warne's case than McGrath (however if his heel injury can be healed I may have to eat my words there).

The Ashes aren't going anywhere near Australia without a fight, and I was totally utterly wrong. Maybe the Brisbane test was a false dawn but there is still alot of cricket to be played and one should never underestimate the thirst of revenge from an Aussie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.