main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Assignment (Wedge&Co a year or so after RotJ) humor/drama - updated 030724

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neko, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neko

Neko Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Title: The Assignment
    Author: Neko
    Timeframe: post-RotJ
    Characters: Wedge, Tycho, Hobbie, Janson, Plourr, Elscol and some others
    Genre: humor/drama
    Summary: Wedge gets a mystic letter with an assignment.
    Authors note: Please forgive me for any misspellings and/or grammatical errors.
    English is not my native language. I have no problems reading, but writing . . .
    Enjoy!

Part 1

"Can you read this?" asked Wedge and showed Janson the instructions.

"Hmm..." Wes took the paper and looked at it. "I think it says that we should go to Krull and--"

"Really?" Wedge interrupted. "I thought it said Kryll. Oh well. I'd better ask Hobbie too."

And off he went to search for Hobbie.

This sure is a weird assignment, he thought. Why should they go to a totally unknown world, search a storeroom for a cube and then return it to a secret meeting place? And besides, why was the instructions written by hand?

Rounding a corner he bumpes into Tycho. Both fell to the floor and dropped the papers they were carrying.

"Umm... Sorry Wedge...," Tycho said. "I guess my mind was wandering." He started to gather up his papers.

"No problem," Wedge answered and searched for the instruction sheet he'd dropped. "Sith... Where is it..."

"Looking for this?" Tycho held up a handwritten, wrinkled paper.

"Yes. Our next assignment. Can you read it?"

Tycho took a closer look and started to read. "To Wedge Antilles." He stopped. "No titel? No nothing?" Wedge just shrugged, so he continued. "I have an assignment for you and five of your squadron members. Only five? Which have you chosen?"

"Besides you, Wes and Hobbie, I thought Elscol and Plourr could come along."

"Where are we going, boss?" a voice said behind Wedge. "And why are you sitting on the floor?"

"Why stand when one can sit? And because there were no chairs here we decided to sit on the floor."

"And had a paper throwing-party?" Hobbie smiled.

"Well... Actually we ran around the corner at the same moment. Different directions though," Tycho said. "And I dropped my report..."

Hobbie couldn't help himself. He started to laugh so hard, that he, also, fell to the floor. "You really ran into each other?" he managed to say.

Wedge and Tycho nodded.

"What's so funny, Hobbie?" Wes said as he came walking.

"Nothing," Wedge answered. "Now you're here, we can call this meeting opened." He slammed his hand on the floor. "Sit down."

"Meeting? About that mission?"

"Yep." He turned back to Tycho. "Call Elscol and Plourr."

Tycho took up his comlink and told them to come to the corner between the mess and the recreation room. He got some confused replies, but they were soon on their way.

Wes positioned himself against the wall.

After a couple of minutes Elscol arrived.

"Please, be seated," Wedge said. "And no questions."

She sat down next to Hobbie.

"Wes. Can you please sit down?"

"If you insist," Wes said and slid down onto the floor.

Five minutes went by without any sign of Plourr. The gang on the floor started to roll their thumbs. Another five minutes went by and Hobbie started to whistle.

Just then Plourr came running, holding a handkerchief to her nose.

Before she could say anything Wedge said, "Thank you for saving our ears, Plourr. Please be seated. Tycho? Read the letter again." He looked at his squadron members sitting on the florr. "This is a debriefing. Listen carefully."

Tycho once again took the wrinkled paper and started to read. "To Wedge Antilles. I have an assignment for you an five of your squadron members. You are to travel incognito to the world of Krull. Could be Kryll. Not sure. On this world, at the southern hemisphere is an island with only one town. At the edge of the town is the mansion that is your goal. See map on other side. Just behind the main house is a store house. They are connected with a walkway. Avoid this! Get inside the storehouse and search for a box that looks like the picture next to the map. It's a cube, 10 by 10 by 10cm.

2. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Nice to see this on the boards, Neko :)

You know me, I'm really curious about what will happen...

*props up a chair and sits down to wait for the next post*

3. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Hilarious!

Tycho took up his comlink and told them to come to the corner between the mess and the recreation room. He got some confused replies, but they were soon on their way.

When too tiered to reach meeting room, use corner between mess and recreation room. (rule number 125 of the official guide to better command stragies.) + it makes your suborinates jumpy and nervous, they never know when or where the next meeting will be.

Not so high and fancy now, aren't you Wedge, agreeing to a mission scrawled on a wrinkled piece of paper.

4. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    This is a great start, Neko. I liked seeing the Rogues sitting on the floor in the middle of the hallway. It creates a different environment for their debriefing.

Anyway, I hopoe that you post some more soon! :)

5. Neko

Neko Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Alright. Here comes part 2.
    I had some problem finding the correct words in some parts of the story, but I hope it is understandable (is there such a word?) anyway.
    Not that much humor this time . . . I hope to make next part more funny. :)

Enjoy!

Part 2

A couple of hours later almost everyone were ready to take off and they started to climb into their x-wings.

Hobbie came up to Wedge's fighter and handed him a small bag.

"Your disguise, sir."

"'Sir'?" Wedge looked suspiciously at the bag.

"You're my superior, right?"

"Yes. But when you're formal, something's going on."

Hobbie looked hurt. "I haven't done anything."

"Not yet," Wedge said, and put away the small bag.

"If you say so," Hobbie answered and paused, "boss." He smiled.

Wedge just shook his head and tried not to smile. Then he thought of the mission, and didn't smile. He had a bad feeling about this mission...

"Go tell Wes to hurry up. And then you hurry up. I want to be out of here in 5 minutes." He started the pre-flight check.

"Yes, sir!" Hobbie 'saluted' and knocked himself.

"Shoo!" Wedge couldn't help but smile then at Hobbies imitation of a rookie-salute.

One after one they took off. Elscol and Plourr first, then Hobbie and Tycho. Wedge looked around. Where could Janson be? he wondered. Oh well. He used his repulsors and glided over to the magcon field, stopped and looked behind him.

"Why're you stopping, boss? Get out of here! I want out too!" Janson's voice said over the comm.

Wedge smiled and shook his head, activated his engines and shot forward, out into the open space surrounding the Mon Calamari cruiser.

The blue planet, around which they lay in orbit, glowed invitingly back at him. Beach, water and sun would be nice when we get back, he thought. But then he remembered that the atmosphere was poisonous to humans, and he sighed.

He came to a stop, aligned his fighter so that its nose pointed approximatly towards the coordinates that had been given to them.

"Everyone ready to go?" he asked.

"Yes, boss," Hobbie answered. The others echoed him.

"Alright then. Wes, send us the navdata and form up around me," Wedge said and searched for the small paper in his pockets.

Reading it, he didn't notice the change of course his fighter made. When he looked up again, his pilots were in formation. He didn't see that the cruiser now were below him instead of above him.

He gave the order to go to hyperspace, and his screens were soon filled with elongated stars, and then the familiarity of hyperspace.

After what felt like an eternity, they finally emerged in front of a turquoise planet. Wedge asked his R5 where the south pole were, then he opened a channel to his pilots.

"Leader here. Report in."

"Rogue 11, ready for action." I hope this mission will be peaceful, Plourr.

"Rogue 10, reporting in." Elscol.

"Rogue 6, still here." Yes. Hobbie was still there.

"Rogue 5 here. I'm a little tired, wanted to sleep some more." Wes... Wedge shook his head.

"Rogue 9. Everything's ok." And that was Tycho.

"Good. Follow me. As quiet and invisible as possible," Wedge said. "As soon as we've touched down, put on your disguises. No chatter over the comm. Leader out."

Clicks of confirmations came in over the channel.

Wedge found it weird that there were no ships in orbit around the planet. This looks all too easy. This has to be a trap. He almost turned around. But no, he was too intrigued by the mystic letter, and wanted to find out who was behind it.

They entered the shadow of the planet.

Luckily it seemed to be night on the side of the planet they were heading towards. He estinguished all lights on his fighter and looked back to see his pilots doing the same.

There. There it was. It didn't look exactly the same as the sketch, but it looked similar enough. He turned towards the islands southern coast.

They leveled out at 100 meters above the ocean. Wedge slowly slowed down as t

6. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Hmm... this is getting interesting... where can they be? I'm a bit worried about that course change...

Great post, Neko! More soon? Please? :D

7. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    A course change? Hobbie handing Wedge his disguise? (and Wedge not checking it?) Wes Late?

That stinks like another one of Wes's pranks. Okay Who did what this time?

And no Ewoks?

8. Neko

Neko Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    FYI . . .

My grandmother died today. I have no inspiration whatsoever to continue writing now . . . Sorry . . .
    Next week I will leave Sweden to attend the funeral in Germany. I don't think I'll be able to write anything during the trip . . .
    After that I'm away on holiday, August 1st to August 20th. I hope I will be able to write something then, but I can't promise anything . . .
    Sorry . . .

9. Neko

Neko Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    no, no update. just some sad information . . .

my computor is dead.
    the fic lies on the hdd in the dead computor.
    I had written some guidelines for part three that I liked, now they're locked up . . .
    thankfully I can borrow my boyfriends laptop when he's at work and at sleep.
    but I can't write . . . I miss my guidelines . . .
    sorry . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.