main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The astonishing, disappearing magical sun of Tatooine...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PhantomMenace, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Okay... I'm sure a genious like GL wouldn't have noticed such a thing when he was making his initial ground-breaking film of a classic trilogy, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.... not than anyone hasn't noticed it.

During various points, Luke is driving his land speeder around looking for Artoo, going to the Lars' homestead, and driving into Mos Eisley. Each time the sun reflects on the landspeeder's windshield, do you see the reflection of two suns? Nope. Just one good 'ol sun warming the Tatooine desert. But what about the second? Surely it doesn't disappear during the day and return in the evenings.

Okay, okay. I'm sure the general audience never noticed this. But... what are the chances that in the upcoming DVDs, that GL went back and added another sun to the windshield's reflection? Probable... no. Possible... I hope.

Sorry. It's just little things like that which remind me that Star Wars is merely a movie. :(

2. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Doubt he would, most games I've played with Tatooine in them also stay true to two suns yet one shadow as well. I guess this is just another scientific phenomonenon (sp?) of the GFFA.

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I was under the impression that there's like a Big-Sun, and a Little-Sun which orbits around it. Tattooine then orbits around one of these, not both (that just wouldn't work, gravity-wise). So you won't always see both the suns at the same time. In fact, seeing the suns together like that at sunset would be the equivalent of us seeing the Sun and Moon at the same time. Not too unusual, but fairly rare.

But from a film-makers perspective, yeah you're right. just sloppy I guess ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.