main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ASTROMECH Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Southernjedi, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Let's admit it. These little fellas often are overlooked in favor of the flashy, ego-driven pilots. But without the astromechs, where would X-wings and Y-wings be? Not to mention every other ship (like the Nubian royal cruiser) that rely on them. They're definitely one of my favorite parts of the SW franchise. They kind of remind me of an intelligent Swiss Army Knife since they're so useful and have so many tools. :D

So here's a thread to talk about your fav mech, R2 or any from the EU. Or, talk about the astromech's awesome jet thrusters. Or whatever else you find cool about mechs in general.

Here's a topic to start off. Who can name every astromech mentioned in the EU? I'll start with my favorite (besides Artoo): Whistler, Corran Horn's mech, friend and partner.

Whistler is, IMO, one of the best EU characters--and one of the smartest. He saves the day frequently (a common mech trait). He keeps Corran set on the straight and narrow. And with all his special programming, he's a danger to smugglers and other criminals. :)

2. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
  3. Kung_Fu_Yoda

Kung_Fu_Yoda Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2002
    personally, I like Gate, Wedge's astromech droid. He's survived TWO Death Star runs.

4. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    um, Wedge got Gate during the Bacta War. Before it's memory was upgraded, it was Mynock. But even then, Wedge didn't get him until the beginning of the Rogue Squadron books.

5. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    I think Artoo is the cutest little driod ever! He's so brave, resourceful, and is good with kids (he plays with Padme's neices in the AOTC novelization).

I don't believe one word of that "Beneath the Dome" saying he was such a tempremental actor. Not R2!

6. -Nymph-

-Nymph- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Artoo-Detoo is the best character in Star Wars. Count me in!

7. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    We can go on about Luke, Corran, and Wedge all we want, but where would these three be without their astromechs? I'm willing to get in on this. I think they deserve more credit. For a good scene involving astromechs who save the day, reread Isard's Revenge for Gate and Whistler.

8. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Gate's and Whistler's adventure was the best part of Isard's Revenge, IMO. It definitely showed how important and useful astromechs are.

There was a book (I believe it was New Rebellion) where Artoo led hundreds of mechs against the bad guys and saved the day. Anyone know for sure which book it was?

9. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I like Vape-Face Loran's R2 unit. He has a drink dispenser!!!

10. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, Vape is cool.
    I want that new Artoo toy offered online for $100. It can go get a can of coke, as well as obey your commands.

11. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Amazon doesn't have the R2D2 anymore. ITs sold out. :(

I love Artoo Detoo!

12. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Southernjedi - Yes, the book you were thinking of is The New Rebellion. I am reading it and have just come to the part where Artoo is rallying the other astromechs. Some say Artoo rolls, but we know he ROCKS! :p

13. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Thanks for the confirmation, DarthNoll.

Wraith Squadron book spoilers below

I'm almost finished re-reading Wraith Squadron for the third or fourth time. It was really sad, Grinder and Falynn dying at the end. Now, of course it's much, much worse when people die, but it was also sad about Kell's mech, Thirteen.

"A trill of good-bye. Then Kell faced forward and yanked the handle for his ejection seat."

And Jesmin's death was bad. So was her mech, who told Thirteen good-bye.

That seems to me a bad way to go, trapped in a fighter with no way out, especially when the pilot can eject.

I'm afraid I'll sound callous talking about mechs "dying" when some pilots died, but don't mean to be. People definitely come first, but some of these mechs are a lot like people.

14. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    OK, what's everyone's favorite astromech scene from the books or the movies?

Mine is where Artoo falls into the swamp at Dagobah and gets spit out by the creature.

15. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    when Artoo manages to send the Falcon to hyperspace in Empire Strikes Back. He was the Hero!

16. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
  17. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    Hey, and who uttered the infamous line, "Don't worry... we've got R2 with us." ?? HE knows who the real hero is!

18. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    My favorite R2 part is in AOTC where he flies...
    and rescues Padme!

"Its a bird! Its a plane! No, its SuperDroid!!!!!"

19. J9WorkerDrone

J9WorkerDrone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I think it was Kell Tainer who, in one of the Wraith Squadron books, said goodbye to his astromech before ejecting because his fighter was going to crash. I thought that was pretty cool.

20. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    DarthNoll: It was Ani, in Clones. One instance of mechs getting just credit!

Another case of mechs getting credit (and one of the best moments in the X-wing series, IMO):

Wedge: "The astromechs are the backbone of Starfighter Command. Hardest-working beings in the galaxy. They need some rest and recreation, too. Don't you agree?"

Donos: "I, uh, agree."

Anyone remember which X-wing book that was?

21. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
  22. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    That's right, Kyp!

Throws can of oil to Kyp for correct guess! :)

23. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    Who all wants to pick out a Mech designation for a name? I'll take R2-D8 (2 and 8 for my age, 28!).

24. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    I like the age idea! Using that I would be R3-D3.... it's got a nice ring to it. :D

25. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.