main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Astronaut Wives Club

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Anyone watching? I am curious to see what everyone thinks of this show so far.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    While the concept is interesting, Mad Men.

Plus the trailer has a Terrible song, so it put me off.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I want to like this, as I've been a spaceflight enthusiast since I was 12, but I feel like they're playing fast and lose with the source material, which they don't totally understand.

KED12345 likes this.
  4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

A way better show on the early space program is HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" by Ron Howard/Tom Hanks.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I know it well. That was a lavish and exactingly accurate passion project from a pair of hardcore Apollo geeks. This is Cape Canaveral 90210.

KED12345 likes this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It looks like Mad Men, only with astronauts.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Then you underestimate Mad Men.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That's not really the point. The point is that it moved way too fast, which suggests that the people who made this don't understand the material. The competition between Shepard, Grissom and Glenn to be first was utterly ferocious and when Shepard found out that he'd been beaten in space by Yuri Gagarin, he was really pissed. He was so angry that he brought his fist down on a dresser so hard that everyone else in the room thought that he broken his hand, and the reason why Shepard was picked over Glenn was because Glenn read the others the riot act over all the fooling around with girls and he was afraid of the program becoming embroiled in a sex scandal. They didn't mention that at all. Instead we got a throw away line about how the first flight was going to be flown by either Shepard, Glenn or Grissom who were all competing for the chance, then Shepard gets picked to fly first, then there's another throw away line about Gagarin, then Shepard flies. They tried to pack at least three episodes worth of story into an hour and the whole thing just felt disjointed and rushed.

Diggy likes this.
  9. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I think the focus is supposed to be more on the women and you're all missing the point. The only way for that info you want to be in there is to focus on the men and that isn't the point of this show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I'm not disputing the point of the show and I will go so far as to say that I really like the concept of TAWC. A TV show set against the backdrop of the race to the moon and told from the perspective of the families as opposed to the point of view of the astronauts which has been done before and really well, in theory is a great idea. My point is that they tried to do too much too fast, and that makes me wonder how well do the writers and show runners actually understand the early history of the American space program. I will say in support of the show that the characterizations aren't bad and I am willing to allow that may I just have a more informed perspective that the average viewer, since I have a collection more than 50 books on the space program, but so far, I'm not all that impressed.

Diggy likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Woks is doing tremendous work.

12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it looked like that show Pan Am they did about 3 years ago. It was pretty lightweight, so i didn't bother watching this.