main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The AT-AT in ROTJ.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by King Terak, Dec 27, 2012.

1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    No. if the AT-AT's were used I might argue that point, but the Empire was overconfident leading up to that battle.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, you'd figure there would be a lower setting. As for taking out the rebel ships, I always thought that was just the Death Star being overkill and having it set at full power anyway and just taking out rebel crusiers because they're the evil Empire.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It makes sense for there to be a lower-power setting, IMO. I mean, if the Death Star on "full" can literally crack apart a world, I don't think a dinky little ship would so much explode as vanish :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    We never saw it destroyed, does that mean there's a rogue AT-AT wandering around the sanctuary moon in a permanent state of despair??

Sarge, Lady_Misty and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Darth Vader: Set superlaser to stun...I want them alive!

BigAl6ft6 and DarthBoba like this.
  6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Because JEDI was directed in name only by Richard Marquand. By the time of JEDI, GL was pretty much in charge, and that guy seems to be willing to sacrifice good story telling to make a few extra bucks on toys. The AT-AT was a mid level priced toy and making the same toy without even having to redo the injection molding and slapping a ROTJ lable on it was going to be easy money.

My personal in-universe speculation is that there was probably some kind of elevator on the side of the landing platform that allowed large equipment to deploy. I agree with your implied point that there wasn't enough room on a forest moon for them to maneuver and personally feel that it was an early indicator of how far GL had become separated from story telling logic.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    when did we see that ?

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Right when Luke and the Stormies come into the hangar complex-don't see where else when they would have been coming from when that door opens.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    All you really see is something that looks like a piece of the Death Star console boards and some flashing lights inside the walker.

10. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm sure the Empire would have had a lot more armaments on Endor.....just like every other invading army they would have had troops and weapons whose only job was to be a 'show of force'.

The AT-AT could have been used to clear tracks for the smaller AT-STs as well.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    No. That takes a special kind of incompetence. No way Imperial Pilots aren't that dumb. I mean, ugh, to be that sort of dumb you'd have to be the sort of person who would leave the safety of your walking steel tank in order to remove a single teddy bear armed with only a stone age weapon--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Wait.

12. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I feel like giant legs are kind of useless. If they just put that massive body of its on a set of tread wheels, an AT-AT could still just knock over trees and be just as if not more efficient than having very limited range-of-motion legs.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    The AT-AT is obviously a very expensive piece of equipment and they put it there in case of a full scale rebel assault on the shield generator. However, the rebels didn't attack with aircraft and armor as they had expected. After the AT-AT's vulnerability to leg tying had been exposed on Hoth, there was no way they were going to risk it in open combat against a lethal guerilla force of teddy bears that had rope and tripwire technology at their disposal.

14. Doctor Cornelius Evazan

Doctor Cornelius Evazan Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2013
    AT-AT's were used for transport,it carried 5 speeder bikes, and 40 troopers.

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, that's still something to see.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know it took me years, hell, decades, until I saw some BTS ROTJ stuff, I think on the DVD, maybe the commentary (and also a co-worker), that people called them "at at's", I always thought it was A T A T, and I still hear it in my head as that. Cuz nobody ever says "at at" in the flicks. Just "imperial walkers".

AnakinColodin likes this.
  17. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Would they have known about the Ewoks though? Even if they did, I'm not sure the Empire would have considered them a threat worthy of a show of force.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    There is no way you could put such a strategic piece of your defences on a planet and not know who or what was there....it wouldn't have been for the Ewoks but any other enemy that may have wanted to stage an attack.

19. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I enjoyed how they threw it in there, not to make a big deal a out it but just to have it there as a "come back".

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The Walker is so big and the viewing platform is so high that all it had to do was walk up to the front of the viewing platform, park and the open the hatches.

You can see it in those scenes. The Walker is heading to the viewing platform as the shuttle lands, Vader exits the shuttle, we go back to the Walker which is now next to the viewing platform comes to a halt, in the viewing platform Vader walks out of the lift and walks to the hatch which opens revealing storm troopers, an officer and Luke. Behind them is the interior of the Walker.

As for why it wasn't used the battle took place at the back door as some people have pointed out. The Walker was last seen at the landing pad which is on the other side of the ridge then where the battle took place.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

darth ladnar likes this.
  21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I still find myself doing that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I think it actually works as storytelling logic - the Empire had spent a fortune on the things, so to save face the Imperial Army has to use them whether they're actually relevant to the battlefield or not. Otherwise they might lose the funding for them, and have it go to the Stormtrooper Corps or the Imperial Navy. See also the reason why modern (real) armies still have so many tanks.