main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Atlanta Braves Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Then again, it's baseball, and I don't always expect things to make sense when it's coming from them.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh] Usually it makes more sense than this, though.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    But not too much more sense. :p

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    :p

More on topic, looks like Tommy Hanson's going to get the start tomorrow, and Hudson going Sunday. Could have easily seen that going either way.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Tough rain delay loss today. Uggla hit his first HR as a Brave, but need to get a bit more offense overall.

6. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    My guess is that it was so more teams could get even TV exposure for their opening day, since it's one of the biggest points of interest (of the general public anyway) of the season.

Ugly loss today.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice 11-2 win today, though. 7 strong innings for Tim Hudson and 4 RBIs for Brian McCann.

Also, the Jair Jurrjens went on the DL today as a precautionary measure; Mike Minor recalled from AAA to make the start in his place. If Jurrjens returns as expected, this will just be one start for Minor.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Good 2-1 comeback win today at Milwaukee, 2 late solo homers off of ex-Brave Takashi Saito. Prado and Uggla :)

Solid 6 innings and 1 run allowed by Brandon Beachy, too :)

9. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Agreed about Beachy, this is the first time we've really seen what he's capable of. When we brought him up last year we looked fatigued from the minor league season to me.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Minor was the one who really ran into fatigue issues last year. Beachy looked solid in his three starts... but two were against the Phillies, so the numbers weren't fantastic and the Braves couldn't get any runs so he didn't get wins.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Braves chase Cliff Lee after 3.1 innings and top Philadelphia 6-3 tonight. :) Chipper got hit #2500 and is now very close to 1500 RBIs.

Beachy going tomorrow... it'll be his fifth major league start and third against the Phillies. Ouch.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Great job by Beachy on Tuesday shutting down the Dodgers for his first major league win.

But seriously, will someone please wake the Braves' bats up? Offense has been terrible.

13. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Well we swept the Giants and almost the Padres....last year it was like this, so maybe it will be that way again when we become very good.

Lowe being arrested for DUI though...:oops:

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I'm thinking Lowe's not going to be making his scheduled start on Sunday (probably Hudson - I think that would still be full rest for him, if my recollection of the current order in the rotation is correct). Stupid decision on his part.

Braves also have to deal with the allegations about McDowell from the SF series... though I'm withholding judgement on that until we have more information. I don't doubt he did something stupid - he did apologize for reacting poorly to the heckling - but somehow I'm doubting it went down quite like the allegations claim. At a guess, I'd say he made inappropriate homophobic comments and/or gestures but not the bit about "children shouldn't be at the park"... but that's really just a guess. Pretty sure he'll end up with some sort of suspension, depending on what the Braves and MLB find.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    John Smotlz made his Nationwide (golf) tour debut, and just missed the cut ... by 27 strokes.

16. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
  17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice doubleheader sweep of the Brewers yesterday (Braves have taken the first 3 overall from the Brewers with game 4 tonight)... especially game two. Beautiful game pitched by Tim Hudson, a 1 hit, 1 walk complete game shutout. If it hadn't been for Rickie Weeks, it might have been perfect.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Braves go into Philly and take 2 of 3, beating Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels. I'll take it :)

Excellent pitching from the Braves this weekend - the pitching staff is really coming together strong.

19. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Jurrjens has a better ERA than JJ...wow

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    JJ... you mean Josh Johnson? First pitcher I think of in connection with "JJ" is Jurrjens, but that doesn't make sense :p

At the moment, Jurrjens has the best ERA of all pitchers who have thrown enough innings to qualify [in MLB] ... but if I remember the rules correctly, he'll drop off that list after the Braves' next game until his next start because he just barely meets the inning requirement, and won't after one more team game.

21. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Freeman might as well be called the Halladay killer in a way..and Uggla yay.

We beat Halladay. Finally.

22. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Ugh, Kimbrel with another blown save.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its been a very up-and-down season for Kimbrel.

24. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Did any of you guys watch the second game in the DBacks series? Curious if any of you had any thoughts on the DBacks starting pitcher in that game. His name is Josh Collmenter, that was his second career start.

In his short starting career, he's gone 2-0 with 4 hits given up and no runs allowed in 12 innings. I can't tell if it's cuz he's actually good or if his delivery is so funky that it's fooling people for now until they see him a second time.

He's got this weird over the top delivery. here's a video: this is minor leagues, but just gives you a nice view of his weird ass delivery

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Watched it, and "impressive" doesn't begin to cover his performance. The Braves have certainly had their share of offensive difficulties regardless of the pitcher, but he was great out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.