main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Aurorient Express #1 (minor AotC Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, reading it now. Art kinda feels like XWRS, which can't be bad :D

Interesting AotC bat. On the first page Qui-Gon is talking about his master. It never mentions his name, but as some know it is Count Dooku from AotC. Qui-Gon says that he believed that certain despicable behaviors can be conscionable, if it is overshadowed by a greater outcome. Interesting....

More after I finish.

wk

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    The end justifies the means :confused:

BS

3. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Darn it, they didn't have it at my comic shop today! I'll have to check back tomorrow, maybe the shipment came late. :mad:

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm pretty behind in comics. I think I'm backed up to the end of December, I don't have Stark 2-4, the Starfighter issues that are out, and Tag and Bink 2. Must go order from TFAW.

5. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Finished it. Not a bad read, fast paced with a bit of homour, and like I said, good art.

An average comic, like DH has been putting out latly. Nothing outstanding.

wk

6. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    How does it compare to LSoOM?

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I like it better than Ord Mantell, because it doesn't try to be a serious story, just a fun adventure.

wk

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed this...more humor than some of the other titles lately, so a nice change of pace.

On a related note, Starfighter-Crossbones #2 came out today also, and is very fun. I finally nailed who Nym reminds me of- Vin Diesel!

9. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    I just got this one today, so I thought I'd discuss it.

I think the art resmbled the Keven Rubio comics from Tales. I'm too lazy to check to see if the same guy drew them, but it sure looks like it.

This felt like the movie Clue. Pretty light stuff, nothing too philosophical other than the first page. Some of the characters struck me as rather funny, and it was nice to see a younger and more eager Obi-wan. I liked the part where they jumped out of the Republic cruiser onto the Aurorient Express. It looked fun, and was a sort of whimsical way to start of the story. I liked it a whole lot, it's a departure from most of the stuff we've been seeing lately. Usually we've been getting stuff that's really serious (Jedi vs Sith, Darkness, SHW) or plain silly (Tales, Tag and Bink, Underworld). I thought this had a serious enough plot with light enough characters to make it interesting and entertaining at the same time. It felt like Murder She Wrote, or Columbo or some other light show with a serious backdrop. Nothing of galactic importance, but still a fun romp in the SW galaxy. Bravo!

10. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I didn't like this one. The characters were obnoxious and the art not too good. It just seemed kind of pointless.

11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Who does the art?
    What else has he done?
    How would you compare it to Jan's art?

I've only seen the one page that TFN has and I don't know what I thought.

12. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    Who does the art?
    I don't recall their name right now.
    What else has he done?
    Like I said, I think it's the same guy that did the Kevin Rubio stories for Tales and Taga and Bink are Dead.
    How would you compare it to Jan's art?
    Apples and oranges. Jan has the best SW art out there. This series has a more cartoonish look. I think it's very nice (of course, I love cartoons), but in realism and all around coolness, it doesn't really compare to Jan's. It's great in it's own way, though.

13. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I thought this comic was pretty good. I like that the cartoonish style is not overdone like in the Underworld miniseries. I also like the story's quick pacing.

14. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Somebody, somewhere, in the comics had got to be saying "Oh, this keeps getting better and better." or "Ah, you gotta be kidding me." Everytime they get a lead they either find themselves at a dead end, or the bridge falls out from underneath them. What next, a bunch of droids and people running around everywhere like a bunch of headless chickens saying, "Where's the bomb!" or "Where's the escape pod!" Don't know whether DHC will rate this comics as good or bad, but it's funny.

15. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    skawookie's view and mine are fairly similar. I liked this comic. First SW comic I've enjoyed since Darkness and in a different way Tag and Bink #2. For me there was nothing good in between.

Lucas Marangon did the art and he is the same guy that has worked with Kevin Rubio. He's done Tag and Bink are Dead, A Death Star is Born, Force Fiction and maybe something else I can't remember right now.

I enjoyed the story and I wasn't expecting to because it was written by Mike Kennedy who did Underworld which I found to be enjoyable in a few places but the problems, continuity and dumbness far outshadowed those moments for me. The only other SW story Kennedy has done is a recent story in Tales that's in my top 5 worst Tales stories which are at the top of my list of worst SW stories period.

16. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I enjoy a cartoon style too.

One of my all time favorites was the Obi-wan adventure from the Episode I books.

I also enjoy Pop Mahn's work in Jedi Quest.

Having said that... what I have seen on this book is sloppy cartoon style. :(

17. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    I thought it was a decent cartoon style. Not confusing and messy like Underworld. I liked the art to this, I thought it was pretty similar to Jedi vs. Sith. I loved the frame where Obi-wan exclaimed "it's just like training on Coruscant!" or something to that effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.