main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Avengers 2 and Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Box office take doesn't translate like it use to. Star Wars has a large fanbase, but it's easy as SW fans to think everyone will be all over this movie like us. There is a large moviegoing public out there that just won't really care, just like the people who preferred Spider-Man 2 over AOTC, Iron Man over Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull in 2008, Lord of the Rings over the whole series. They got more excited about The Dark Knight and The Avengers than they did about Revenge of the Sith. They don't care about seeing prequels in 3D. They may share Star Wars related memes in their Facebook feeds and watch the movies when they pop up on Spike TV, but they still call us geeks and childish for liking SW while they consider those other movies as average mainstream pop culture, much like everyone did about Episodes IV, V, VI. To them SW is too tame and classic cinema whereas the modern (and overrated) Avengers and stuff like Michael Bay's Transformers are a bit edgier and cool. You can hear it in the theater at where the audiences laugh and what upcoming movies they cheer. There really isn't any reason to expect a new movie to be perceived differently; this whole thing is like deja-vu 1999 (or 1998) except the public has been inundated with nonstop SW in movies or TV screens for 15 years now, unlike then.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I preferred Spider-Man 2 & Iron Man over AOTC & Indy 4, they were better-made movies. Dark Knight & Avengers probably are better than ROTS (certainly Batman is anyway and Avengers was much more exciting while to me ROTS is good in parts and goes wonky at the end).

I think the biggest problem is that the originals are too old to be properly appreciated by most people who aren't of the 77 generation and the Prequels simply weren't anything like as good even with updated visuals and battles so most people don't care about them. 3D is mostly a gimmick anyway, the OT will get more viewers in 3D but only really some of the hardcore fans (converted 3D movies tend to suck anyway).

3. Bashar

Bashar Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2011
    It's possible they could push Avengers 2 to late April (like Iron Man 3) and Star Wars to the last Friday in May. I predict either Avengers 2 will get pushed to July, or Episode VII will be pushed to 2016.

On the other hand, the way they pump out the Marvel movies there won't ever be a May they won't have one coming out (or late April), unless they change those around. With 6 movies over 35 years all having come out all within a two week period of each other, I'd say that trumps any recent accomplishments made by Marvel movies.

4. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Two big event tentpole releases won't really compete with each other. Even big movies start leaving theaters in six weeks. There is room for both.

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    To expand on this. Avengers made 1.5 billion dollars in global box. The Revenge of the Sith made 850 million, or slightly more than half that. Avengers beat out the second highest grossig film of the year, Dark knight Rises, by half a billion dollars. Revenge of the Sith made 50 million less than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Now, 3d recipts may make up some of the potential gap, assuming Disney goes that route as expected, simply because 3d is basically an excuse to charge extra for the same ticket - this helps to explain why 5 out of the top 10 world grosses of all time happened in the last two years.

Now, Episode VII does have an alternative built in profit generator. Unless Disney is brain-dead, they will re-release Return of the Jedi in theaters in 3d beforehand, and certain large multiplexes can probably stack an opening weekend marathon of the OT leading in to the inevitable sold-out midnight showings. So Episode VII might be able to make hundreds of millions off such gimmickry.

6. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Hm now that you mentioned it Mechalich, I wonder what this deal means for the releases of the 3D versions if Fox doesn't distribute them?
    Also now that you mentioned it, it looks like the 3D release schedule was established to fall into place by 2015.

7. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Like the first.

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    One man's opinion. Popular opinion says otherwise.

Most movie lovers adore Lawrence of Arabia, I hated that movie.

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Fox has the rights to the existing films till 2020.

10. Darthdave75

Darthdave75 Jedi Master

Nov 14, 2006
    I think SW will beat anyone in box office, we've been waiting for these movies since Rotj, sure we got prequels, but the movies after jedi are the ones we've heard wild stories and crazy rumors about for decades.

11. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    It's all about word of mouth, Avengers had excellent word of mouth, it was even discussed at one of my management meetings totally off topic, it was just that good.
    No other movie was ever discussed like that. However if E7 gets excellent word of mouth it could challenge Avengers 2, remember how TPM got panned but people went to see it anyway, they had to make their own decisions on it.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Too many splosions?

13. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah this is a bit different then the Prequels. I mean, ultimately we all knew where the prequels were going to end. We knew that Obi-Wan and Anakin had a falling out that lead to ANH. Now with this, we don't know where things stand or what is going to happen. It is very new ground, none of us has the slightest clue yet where things are going to go.

14. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Star Wars always wins. Whenever there's another movie in theaters at the same time, even another summer blockbuster, Star Wars always beats it; if not in Opening Weekend, then in total box office returns. (BTW, this is when the films are originally released...generally speaking re-releases don't rake in as much cash)

15. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    if episode 7 is a Steven Spielberg film starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher I think it will win.

if episode 7 is a Uwe Boll film starring Jar-Jar Binks I think Avengers 2 will win.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 beat AOTC.

17. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    ...well, 5 movies out of 6 ain't bad...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.