main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Avengers: Endgame (untagged spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Regarding the Black Widow merchandise, does Hawkeye have any? I think they missed a trick by not having anything for her as the one female, but was it simply a case of only have stuff for the super powered members?

Of course for all I know you can get Hawkeyes full costume with 'splodin arrows.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well when the German scientist is the leader of Hydra... you may not be a monster but your judgement is highly questionable. :p

Yeah but Scarlet Witch as powers and she has absolutely no merchandise of any kind at all.

If they were only marketing people with powers you'd think they'd market the crap out of her as Marvel's first female 'super' hero.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Heck I've seen a lot of TEAM merchandise pre-AOU where BW is the ONLY member left off (and conveniently she was the only female member at that time). Even if I could buy that individual merchandise focused around her wouldn't sell (which I don't btw), there's NO excuse not to put her on team stuff. Do they REALLY think that backpacks, posters, lunchboxes, etc won't sell as well if BW is there, even if she's outnumbered by the guys 5 to 1? Because that's just dumb.

The same thing happened with the GOTG merchandise, were Gamora was also noticeably removed from a lot of team-related material. If we get to future movies and BOTH BW and SW are not there, then the subtext will be REALLY obvious.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's already obvious. "Boys don't like girls in action figure lines" and "Girls are princesses and boys are warmongers who like fart jokes".

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The irony of that, given what Disney seems to be doing with SW, is not lost on me. Good grief, what are they going to do when the Captain Marvel movie comes along? They'll be so confused that it'll drive them mad.

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Which is completely insane. I know as a kid getting girl figures was rare and i drove my parents crazy trying to find them.

They'll have merchandise for the male secondary characters

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Actually the Avenger who has the least amount of merchandise is Quicksilver. Widow has at least 3-4 pieces devoted to her. Scarlet Witch has about the same. Vision and Hawkeye both have less than the girls but still more than Quicksilver from what I've seen.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Disney will probably tell Marvel to make it Mar-Vell instead of Carol Danvers. After the BS involving Disney wanting the cave scene in AOU, I wouldn't be surprised.

I had Teela, Evil-Lyn, the Sorceress, She-Ra, Catra, Janine Melnitz, Wonder Woman and Ann Louis. In those cases, my mom didn't have trouble getting them. If she had been released in the US, I would have tried to get Minerva and if she had been released at all, I would have gotten Arcee. I don't think Marvel is to blame much, simply because they did put out a whole abundance of female figures during the mid 90's, once Toy Biz was able to get past Storm being the only female to not sell well in the first X-Men line. Hasbro isn't to blame since they've just put out three female Autobots in the Generations line and have two in the "Robots In The Disguise" line, plus they're supposed to be adding more.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Boys aren't nearly as put off as the companies like to believe and girls are just as willing to play with the action heroes as they are with princess/Barbie stuff. Hell, I had both of my female cousins play MOTU/POP with me, though the younger one did it more often. I had a different female friend that did so as well, for the few months I lived in a particular town in 85. Along with her brother. My friend from back in the day, his sister would sometimes join in to play with Transformers and Real Ghostbusters. So there was already a precedent in the 80's for girls to do that. The 90's and the last fifteen years have only increased those numbers.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Maybe I was unique as a kid, but when it came to toys of my favorite characters, I wanted the whole team. I didn't just want Luke, Han and Chewie, I wanted Leia as well. Likewise I wanted a Harley Quinn to join my Joker (that never happened in fact) or a Batgirl to back up Batman and Robin (also never happened). Can you imagine if Bandai did that with the Power Rangers at the time? Everyone except Pink and Yellow? At least they knew enough to get those characters out- and even made ones with female heads. I remember being upset as a kid that I never had a full X-Men team like the cartoon. I remember finally resorting to buying a Phoenix figure because Toybiz never made a decent Jean Grey when it came to the 90s X-Men during the show. They made Professor X in his hoverchair before her.

Toy companies have clung to the idea that females don't sell to boys for years. I remember the hell my mother went through to find Obi-Wan and other Star Wars figures. She ended up finding him and Leia at a comic store because adult collectors naturally bought those figures because they only came one in a case. It is amazing that things haven't changed in nearly twenty years.

Not just girls would want a Widow or Scarlet Witch. I would imagine that boys seeing this movie would like to have the full team to assemble and that definitely includes Widow and Scarlet Witch.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

This.

I HATED whenever the toyline for something didn't include the full team, almost always excluding the female characters. And when they did the female characters were near impossible to find. For Batman the animated series I never got a Catwoman or Batgirl, but I did get the Catwoman and Batgirl McDonald's happy meal figures, so for my whole childhood I used them with the much larger Batman figures. McDonad's happy meals handled the line better.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Now I'll take you to see this movie, but you have to promise not to try to be like Ultron."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I invent typos in my spare time with my lab partner, Smartphone.

It was Marvel that wanted the cave scene, not Disney. And Feige has already confirmed Captain Marvel will be Carol Danvers.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's Captain Marvel's rogues gallery like?

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A bit off topic, but you know how people have complained that this film and "Iron Man 2" were basically sets-ups for the other films. Makes me wonder how TESB would have been treated if released today, with all the set-ups for ROTJ?

-"Luke doesn't kill Vader in this film, that's set-up for the next film."
    -"Han isn't rescued here, that's a set-up for the next film."
    -"We don't know if Vader is Luke's father, that's for the next film."
    -"We don't know who the other is."
    -"We don't know who Leia will choose."

Sarge, Alpha-Red, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The difference is that ESB was better executed, and didn't obviously FEEL like a set up film. People will forgive you for that IF they find the film to be good/compelling. Personally, I found AOU to be both of those things. IM2, less so.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think the difference is expectation. People expected iron man 2 to be self contained. Empire not so much anymore than Harry Potter 6, TTT, Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 1. IM2 setting up IM3 would maybe have been more acceptable. What the MCU is doing is a first, and it just takes getting used to, I think.

I should add, nevermind the set-up, IM2 was terrible.

dp4m likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the complaint that "Age of Ultron" is just an ad for the other movies I never agreed with. There is a hellova lot of stuff introduced and wrapped up inside of the narrative of "Age of Ultron". The storyline of Ultron himself is inside of this movie, the twins have a pretty complete (if verryyyy swift) arc inside of this film. Something like Hulk choosing to be alone is how his storyline ends, and it makes sense in the plot considering the entire movie Banner is saying how afraid he is to open up to someone. It just feels unresolved / cliffhanger-y but you can see why he chose his final actions. Honestly, the only moment that feels like a teaser is Thor saying that he has to "investigate further" the whole Infinity Stone business.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Scarlet Witch was my favorite part of Age of Ultron overall. I adored her character and how Olsen portrayed her. She was dark, heroic, antiheroic, and deep. And her bro, Pietro, was awesome, too. As far as I'm concerned, they stole the show.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I didn't really feel like Iron Man 2 was setting up for a subsequent movie...if anything the first Captain America, Thor and Hulk movies seem to be more guilty of that than IM2.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i didn't really feel that way about any of them . There was something tacked on at the end of all of them to set up the next film, but as a whole i thought they all had self contained stories.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't feel that way at all in regards to AoU.