Story [The Avengers] "Saved Until Last", Darcy Lewis, Steve Rogers/Peggy Carter - Vignette

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade, Oct 27, 2011.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    "Saved Until Last"

Fandom: Thor(2011), Captain America(2011), The Avengers (2012)
    Genre: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
    Rating: G
    Time Frame: Post Avengers-canon
    Characters: Darcy Lewis, Steve Rogers/Peggy Carter

Summary: "I believe that you owed my grandmother a dance, soldier." When a figure straight from Peggy Carter's bedtime stories shows up, Darcy Lewis has no choice but to see the tale concluded.

Notes: This was written for a prompt over at LJ which suggested that Darcy was in fact Peggy Carter's granddaughter, and my muse took off like a shotgun and wrote this little viggie . . . I hope you enjoy this what-if as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, but for the words. :)

"saved until last"
    by Mira_Jade

Her grandmother dies early in the summer.

Her death was soft and simple, at odds with the stories of gun smoke and fire and ash that Peggy Carter had to tell to the right ear. She died in her sleep, floating away as the sea wind caressed her hair in a farewell. The wide porch of the house on the sea faced the shore, and often times Peggy Carter would spend hours there with her book in her lap, and her face turned to the breeze. They found her like this the next day by the nurse who was paid by Anne Lewis to check in on the elderly woman and assist with the things Peggy Carter insisted that she did not need help with ? even at the lofty age she had reached.

When her mother had called her ? breaking her out of her final exams to tell her the news, Darcy Lewis had placed her pencil down, and had not finished. The next day she was on a plane to Virginia, and walking up the steps to her mother's childhood home in Cape Charles.

?She died at peace,? Anne had said once she had arrived, clasping her daughter's shoulders, and Darcy had nodded. It was little consolation, but there was an abstract comfort to it ? the idea of such an easy passing after such a long life.

While her parents contacted friends and family, and set up the funeral and other such necessities, Darcy started in on going through her grandmother's things. The attic was dusty, and the cobwebs hung like curtains over the trunks and boxes that littered the dimly lit room. She opened the small window that was taller than her by stepping on her grandmother's old war trunk from her time in MI6 and pushed the dusty glass open. The wind was sweet outside, cleansing.

There were memories in the wind, Darcy remembered her telling her years ago ? when she was young with sticky fingers and wide eyes going through her grandmother's wartime photos. She would wear her grandmother's cap, approving of the olive green against her nest of tangled black hair, and pin her medals to her sweater as if she were armed and dangerous ? all sharp heels and sharp lips in an army dress.

When she was older, awkward and still growing into herself, she would spend the summers with her grandmother. Every year, the pictures took on a new meaning.

?You were hot in the forties,? she had said one summer, when she was just turning fifteen, and she couldn't precisely figure out how to keep her glasses from sliding down the bridge of her nose. Sure, the eye exam had explained why she couldn't read the fine print on anything, but they were still a right pain to get used to.

Peggy had smiled, a wry slash of still red lips. The other woman had aged gracefully ? her hair turning a dark shade of steel, while the wrinkles around her eyes decorated her rather than defed her. She still had a solder's grace and strength, and Darcy wanted nothing more to be a tenth of her when she grew up.

Already, she was working on the sharp tongued aspect of her grandmother's character ? Anne Lewis had inherited that trait, as well, and her father was constantly saying how the Carter blood in his women made him useless in an argument.

?Thank-you my dear,? Peggy responded to her observation, bemused, glancing over Darcy's shoulder to the/>
  2. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was absolutely gorgeous. Sure it's a bit of a stretch to assume that Darcy is Peggy's granddaughter, but it's a lovely thought and beautifully written.
  3. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    I feel the same way about my laptop as Darcy feels about her iPod. :) I believe I laughed when she said that they took her iPod.

Very sweet! It would be funny if Darcy is Peggy's granddaughter.

Where's a favorite button when you need it!
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl