JCC The awesome concert thread!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith-Lord-Gunray, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Received tickets to see Peter Murphy this month as a gift! WOOOO!!!!!!!
    harpua likes this.
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Manic Street Preachers are playing NZ for the first time ever tonight, but I'm unable to go.

// first world problems.
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The Features and Skillet last night.

Been waiting for The Features since they were announced for Summerfest. Such a good concert!
  4. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Just got home from a three day long music festival. We had the chance to see Editors, Depeche Mode, Two Door Cinema Club, 2manydjs, Kings of Leon, Public Image Ltd, Vampire Weekend, Green Day, Fatboy Slim and many other bands and DJs.

Awesome but oh God so exhausting.
  5. emilsson Chosen One

star 6
    The concerts I have seen this year have so far been awesome. I went to see Depeche Mode in London at end of May (perfect performance) and last month I went to Wembley for Bruce Springsteen (also a perfect performance).

Upcoming concerts include a second visit to the O2 arena in London for Depeche Mode and Manic Street Preachers in September.
  6. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Last night was Sir Paul McCartney's concert. Holy crap, was that a fantastic time. Long and Winding Road really took me back and though I cried right through Baby, I'm Amazed, I know it wasn't notice. I'm sure it only looked looked like sweat as it was ridiculously hot and humid at Miller Park where it was held. Not even that, or starting near an hour late and not getting home til 1am really put any kind of damper on the evening.
  7. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I'm so thrilled you had a great time, Frieda. The first time you see McCartney perform is really something special. It's... remarkable... to hear Beatles songs sung by an actual Beatle.... indeed by their co-author (no offence, Ringo). There will only be so many more chances to experience it.
    Last edited by Everton, Jul 17, 2013
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It really was an amazing show. I am not sure I could have asked for a better set list:

Eight Days a Week
    Junior's Farm
    All My Loving
    Listen to What the Man Said
    Let Me Roll It (with "Foxy Lady" snippet)
    Paperback Writer
    My Valentine
    Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
    The Long and Winding Road
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    I've Just Seen a Face
    We Can Work It Out
    Another Day
    And I Love Her
    Blackbird
    Here Today
    Your Mother Should Know
    Lady Madonna
    All Together Now
    Lovely Rita
    Mrs. Vandebilt
    Eleanor Rigby
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    Something
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    Band on the Run
    Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Let It Be
    Live and Let Die
    Hey Jude

Encore:
    Day Tripper
    Hi, Hi, Hi
    Get Back

Encore 2:
    Yesterday
    Helter Skelter
    Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    That's great. I've seen him a couple of times but there are a few on there I've not heard live - Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! and Lovely Rita immediately stick out. Hopefully he'll remain true to his previous tours and do a few shows in the UK (the O2, ideally) at the end of the year.

I much prefer the Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End medley to close the show. He used to close with Sgt. Pepper (Reprise). My only criticism is that I don't think Helter Skelter really belongs in an encore. By that stage of the show - and this is only my opinion - you need to play songs that the audience can more easily involve themselves in / with. I think Helter Skelter is too dense for that purpose. With the best will in the world, most people don't know the lyrics to Helter Skelter and even if they do it's not a good one to sing along too. Day Tripper, Hi Hi Hi, Get Back and Yesterday all hit the spot. Both times I've seen him live Helter Skelter was in one or the other encore, and both times the people in the seats next to me (although everyone was standing, of course :D ) were getting into it, but slightly awkwardly. It's hard to explain. Everyone rocked along, as you'd expect, but I didn't feel like we (as an audience) were completely at ease with it as an encore choice. It's awesome to hear it performed, of course, but for me it should be earlier in the set.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It seems to me that people were rocking out pretty well to Helter Skelter. The energy in the crowd at that point was pretty great. There was even a lady in front of me probably in her 60s or 70s who was dancing to it with a smile on her face. Helter Skelter was one of the surprise highlights of the show for me.
  11. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    Hell yeah! I've had the honor of seeing Paul live a few times, and when he does Helter Skelter it's seriously badass.

He's truly amazing - always a long setlist, no breaks, no dip in energy. He's a golden god amongst men, and I love him.
  12. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Did he start Something on the ukulele?
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes. Was very emotional for me, as George was always my favorite Beatle and I still miss him dearly.
    Son of a Bith likes this.
  14. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    It's a wonderful moment.
  15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Hearing 40,000 people sing the "I don't know, IIIIIIII don't know" line was truly transcendent. It was as if George was there with us for that song. When the full band came in, it was again overwhelming.
    Last edited by Strilo, Jul 17, 2013
    shinjo_jedi and Healer_Leona like this.
  16. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    For what it's worth, I think George and John are watching every time Paul performs.
    Last edited by Everton, Jul 17, 2013
  17. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  19. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    He calls himself a beetles fan. That is the most laughable thing I've ever heard in my 7 years at the JC.
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Exactly. I really never thought to hear those songs live and as I drive past Miller Park (the venue) twice a day back and forth to work I just know I will smile with remembrance every damn time! :D :D

and it's not just hearing the songs, it was the little stories he told with a great number of the songs.
    Last edited by Healer_Leona, Jul 17, 2013
    DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Vin you have got to stop spelling it wrong. It's Beatles.
  22. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    No it's Beetuls
    Zapdos and jp-30 like this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Fixed.

Also, Beetils.
    jp-30 likes this.
  24. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Tomorrow is Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field. So stoked for it!!
  25. tom Chosen One

star 6
    tomorrow is sir paul for me. also stoked!
    Everton likes this.