main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Awesomos Cosmos reboot thread. aka the Cosmos reboot (Possible Worlds)

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Mar 9, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    http://www.cosmosontv.com/

Ahh, the awesome reboot of an awesome show. And really there is Seth Mcfarlane to thank for it. Seriously, he made science nerds happy once again. Showing that you don't have to be a really big nerd to like science. Even funny people can like science.

Your thoughts on the show and its host.

Oh and yes I made up a word so be it. It worked for the title.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The original was supposedly a land mark event. I am definetly watching this.

3. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Yeah, a science show on the big three that doesn't involve Morgan Freeman or aliens.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

More to the point, a legitimate science show on Fox. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm excited for this to say the least.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    At this moment I am watching the original Cosmos, and it just happens to be the classic scene where Sagan talks about the number of cuts needed to cut a pie in half to get down to the size of an atom(about 90btw).

This was a wonderful time in life to watch these shows. The feeling and cinematography was similar to another show hosted by Leonard Nimoy called In Search Of which was the UFO and Bigfoot show. My generation first heard about the Crystal Skull via this show.

Having grown up with Cosmos, In Search Of, and That's Incredible, and a set of encyclopedia I was given a nice view of real and not real that was reasonable though unfortunatley under-educated.

Fast forwarding to this new show, which I will have to record and watch later, I do have this wonderful expectation that it will have a positive effect not to people like me, but to people not like me.

This morning N. Tyson was on Fox News promoting the show because it is on Fox News and he even mentioned that it was a unholy alliance. Perhaps then the anti science, anti reasonable audience of Fox will get a inception of reasonability. I have watched people on this forum change from the Fox News side of science and such, to the reality side, the science side. So maybe a few of those who reside in the bubble of nonsense created by Fox/Koch/Beck/Limbaugh will stop and think rather than simply accept.

I said I am watching the original Cosmos on Nat Geo. This...the actual National Geographic...is partly owned by Fox. This is the channel that is the voice of anti science. They have a religious...Christian...expert on their show every weekend. Fox is the BS channel.

But I am not 100% optimistic. The Derp thread is alive and kicking. People will ignore anything that conflicts with their ingrained view, seeded by the likes of Palin and Gingrich. Just today I sat and watched Palin's CPAC speech. She made silly jokes about how bad Obamacare is, despite the reality that it is working quite well. Make no mistake that science has become debatable. 1+1 might still = 2 but anything even remotely more complex can be lied about to the financial benefit of the right wing.

Good luck, Mr Tyson.

TKT likes this.
  7. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I bet Fox news will ask several of their anchors and others their views on the show. The conservative ones will ignore it and the the smart ones will discuss it and its impact on us. Of course someone on fox will make a dumbass comment that is sure to end up on the John Stewart show or Steven Cobert.

8. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006

TH AWESOMOS COSMOS

TKT, Chancellor_Ewok and Frank T. like this.
  9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Is it just me, or does Neil Degrasse Tyson's Spaceship of the Imagination fly like Slave 1?

Otherwise, me likey.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I caught a new trailer today. I don't like the tone so I'll skip it.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

what dont you like about the tone?

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Maybe it involved a skin tone?

13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Not even give it a chance?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It was Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World for us, and the rest of the Commonwealth I assume. We also had the Nimoy show, but it seemed to retread the Arthur C. Clarke one.

Edit: Hmm. In Search Of predated ACC's Mysterious World. Well, damn.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    After watching the cosmic address segment, my penis seems even smaller now. :(

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    They bowed to scifi with the asteroid belt, making it look dense with rocks when in fact each asteroid is millions of miles from another. When they got to the Oort Cloud they at least mentioned the distances were fvast between them despite the large population.

I'm just 20 minutes in.

19. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I have it DVR'd. Haven't watched it yet, but soon...soon...

edit: I'll watch it with the kids this weekend. They deserve that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    After watching the history lesson of Giordano Bruno and his dream i thought immediately of Olef Stapeldon's Star Maker.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    They got a bit about Bruno wrong. His heliocentricism wasn't what got him executed. He had a whole host of charges against him, including anti-Trinitarianism, which was heavily frowned upon. Of course that doesn't excuse his execution.

22. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I thought it was very well done.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's a very good show. I'd be curious as to the political remarks that surrounded the previous show in its day. This version was introduced by Obama and hosted by a black dude, and does not shed a nice light on the history of religion.

Edit: Speaking of which...

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Moviefan2k4, are you also a Fox channel documentaryfan2k4?

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Oh, for God's sake.....[face_sigh]:confused::oops: