The Ayn Rand discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by waheennay, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    The pursuit of happiness is the highest interest that you will ever have, IMO. If there's no love in a relationship and you want to get divorced, even if your spouse doesn't desire it-- screw em.

Let me say this about THE FOUNTAINHEAD-- its definetly more of a thinker than ATLAS SHRUGGED.
  2. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    (still shocked by the existence of ifeminists) the reason i haven't read atlas shrugged so far, i'm embarassed to say, is it is a freaking huge book. Rand's non-fiction books take long enough to read in themselves. :p But i think after i read a few more star wars books(!) that's going to have to be read.

I agree that the pursuit of self interest is very important. If this is your only life on earth, it should be something you value.

Keeping up appearances in a marriage in order to protect the children, is imo, a very well meaning act, but it's illegitimate, and i think the kids would pick up on that. Basically one is saying that one would live a lie, and endure torture "for the kids".
    But if it's a show, then it's a show. It's meaningless. There's the possibility that down the road the child might feel some guilt or responsibility for the fact that their parents were miserable for them.
    And society as a whole isn't better off when people have dishonest, unfulfilling relationships because they feel obligated to, imo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.