main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Back to the Future Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jayplate, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    not 100 percent scifi. only the time travling part but i thought it would be somewhat appropriate to post

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    BTTF's entire premise is based on Science Fiction. So I'd say that qualifies it pretty well. ;)

3. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    im just saying. its not one of those "hardcore scifi movies" its got a little bit of every type film in it which is why i enjoyed it. you dont have to think when you watch them its just fun

4. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    I have the trilogy on dvd but ive only watched the first and the third... I really liked the first, the third was ok.

5. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    well the problem was that you didnt watch the 2nd one. they all connect its better if you watch them all at once. ( if your a loser like me and actually have the time to do that)

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Curiously, this is one of the things that makes the movies so great. The story is as demanding as you make it yourself. You can just kick back and enjoy the comedy, or get really involved in the subtle complexity of Part II, and the emotion of two great friends long goodbye in Part III. The BTTF movie aren't movies that require the absolute attention of the audience to get anything worthwhile from watching them... and that's a rare gift. :cool:

7. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    id say they are in my top 5 favorite movie/series of movies list

8. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    ooo, BTTF. A big childhood favorate. BTTF is a classic to me and I love them all. I used to like BTTF3 the best, but now I like BTTF 2. Its like the ESB of BTTF. Dark, moody, exciting, different, character development, plot twists and a cliffhanger...awesome movie!

9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Thi sis my third favourite movie series of all time, behind SW and Indy. I feel that the first one is the best movie because of how everything is set up and payed off, but I've always enjoyed Part 2 the most. Might be because I saw Part 2 first of the three at the age of 8, but I just love how the plot is both really simple and intricate at the same time.

Regarding Part 3 it's certainly an enjoyable and good movie, but I've never really felt that it ranks among the other two. There's just always been something that's not quite there about it...

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    There's discussion going on about BTTF 4 with Fox in a role similar to Christopher Lloyd's character in the trilogy.

11. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Nope, debunked. Sort of...

12. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    OMG... how could I forget about BTTF?

I watched part II at least 30 times, and the other two almost as many. I read the novelizations (took a good deal of effort to find them).

Policewoman from 2015: And be careful in the future.
    Jennifer from 1985: The future?

Marty: Biff's guy's chased me into their gym and they're gonna jump--me!
    Doc: Then get out of there!
    Marty: No, Doc, not me, the other me, the one that's up on stage playing Johnny B. Goode!

13. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2004
    I've only seen the original, it was pretty good but I was only like 8 so I couldn't appreciate it.

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I was a good fan of the series. I remember that I read BTTF: Part 3, and finding the novelization to be better than the film.

15. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    BTTF is fantastic. I was lucky enough to find the trilogy DVD for only a £5 a few months ago. Fantastic stuff.

Oh, and I also have Michael J. Fox's cover of Johnny B. Goode on the my iPod. I actually prefer it to the original!

16. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I got the BTTF Ultimate boxset the other day for £12.99
    Outtakes and deleted scenes and such.
    I think that these movies have really nailed the time travel thing.
    Many movies tackle time travel and end up making a balls up.
    I cannot think of any examples at the moment but I know I have picked holes in movies because he whole time travel was messed up.
    But with BTTF I always enjoy the movies too much to notice if they have made a mistake, but I am pretty sure they haven't.

(Waits for countless posts proving me wrong.) [face_blush]

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think something most people overlook about the BTTF trilogy is the absolutely sterling work by Thomas F. Wilson. Across all three films he was superb. young Biff Tannen (1955), arrogant Biff Tannen (1985), meek Biff Tannen (1985), rich Biff Tannen (1985), old Biff Tannen (2025), Griff Tannen (2025), Mad Dog (1885). They're all great variations on the same character, and a real tour de force of where fate and misadventure can take one basic template.

18. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    ^^^ Great Point^^^

I absolutely love these movies, always have.
    The first one is a classic i always loved how it said to be continued.., and the third one is fun and completely different, i actually like old west stuff.

Back to the Future Part II, may be the the greatest thing ever. That movie completely blew me away when i saw it, and it said "to be concluded"-- hahaha...

The finale of BTTF 2 is so incredible, as you relive part 1, but from a different point of view...

This is one of my all time favorites ever (the trilogy) with SW, Indi, LOTR being in the mix as well...

i really love the part in "bad 1985" when he goes into his room and there is another family in his house, and the principle has the shotgun, and he jumps off the roof!!

19. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Exactly.

And, being a kid, it was way cool to see all the futuristic little things in the second movie.

20. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I've been a Back to the Future nerd for years.
    I can never just watch one movie out of the series, I have to watch all three. I need to get another copy of the set because I still have the stupid messed up Part II disc.

21. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I really like the first and second movies. The third is okay, but I just found it kind of strange.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I love the BTTF trilogy. An incredible piece of work. It can either be a simple popcorn movie-and an excellent one at that, or taken with some deep thoughts on destiny vs. free will.

Plus, it had Huey Lewis and the News providing the soundtrack. You can't go wrong there.:cool:

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's the power of love!

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah. It'll make one man weep, but another man sing.

More than a feeling, that's the power of love.

25. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I totally agree. The scene in part II where Biff is talking to himself is great.

Wait... that didn't come out right... uhm, you know what I mean. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.